Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Race Series 10m & HM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Tough conditions and the route felt a fair bit tougher than the old one.
    PB in the bag but not the PB I wanted. Happy enough given the day that was in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

First time doing a race series event in 3 years - didn't disappoint (except for the extra 300m 🙂 )
    10 mins + slower than my pb and my slowest 10 mile since 2010! but expected nothing from today - onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Ugh, that was disgusting!

Don't think there was a pb out there for anyone today, unless you were making your debut at the distance or had a ridiculously soft one from a previous race. Outside of the tough course, driving rain and howling wind, it didn't help that the whole field were soaked to the skin before the start. I had puddles in my runners before the gun went and got my first blister in about 6 years during the race. Definitely not one for anyone to get disheartened about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

aoboa wrote: »
    Tough conditions and the route felt a fair bit tougher than the old one.
    PB in the bag but not the PB I wanted. Happy enough given the day that was in it.

Any pb in that today was a very good run.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wanted to come in in 1h 30. Did exactly that. First mile was way slow, but i was expecting that. Good to see everyone turning up in the manky weather. Got nice and drenched before it even started.

It was hard, but I enjoyed the hell out of it (aside from the fm 104 noise pollution).

Roll on the half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Missed it by 6 seconds. Felt I ran well overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

Fair play to everyone who ran today. My apartment faces south-west and there's no other building in that direction for a mile, so when wind and rain come from that direction, we get the full force of it. When I looked out the window at 7.30 this morning and saw the trees being blown about and heard the rain hammering off the window, I thought "ummm...maybe not". I started putting on my gear, got as far as putting my socks on and then said to myself, "Am I seriously going to squelch around the Phoenix Park for 2 hours in lashing rain and a howling gale for a pink T-shirt and a beanie hat?" So I took off my socks and went back to bed. A pity the conditions were so bad as I really like the race series runs, but it just wasn't happening for me today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mine is similar auntie matter - I woke up at 5am with the wind howling and lashing rain. Weather always seems worse from the back of our place living in a wind tunnel. Seriously considered binning it. Decided it was to be a training run and go get the t-shirt I'd paid for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

The rain settled once the race started, it was only the wind bothered me, especially as someone mentioned above, miles 8-9. Took 5 mins off last outing, I haven't ran any decent distance in a few years, crammed in an 8 and 9 mile in last 2 weeks so very happy considering the wind. Think I might give half a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

That has to be one of the toughest races I have done in the park. The wind and the rain were crazy, I was soaked before I even started. Saying that, I thought everyone was in good form and as we were standing in a huddle under a tree everyone seemed was laughing and joking.

Got home in under 65 mins but I was working hard towards the end. The stretch on the Acres road was really tough which left me a bit knackered for the plod up the Upper Glen road.

Not sure I would say the new course is easier. I felt their was a lot of climbing from the Chapelizod entrance all the way round the S bends, Wellington Road and round the back of Zoo. Maybe on a day with less wind and rain it might be a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

hawkwing wrote: »
    That was interesting :eek: 22mins down on last year and over 30 off a PB,time to retire after DCM i'm afraid:( But got a massive goody bag-sort of 2 i think-maybe they were just giving it all away to the people at the rear as many probably didn't show cos of the rain.

Retire me eye, was a tough day is all

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Glad to see others are down 5 - 10 mins from last year. I was just about to google "my running is getting slower" after that race today. I was 8 mins off a PB and 5 mins down from last year. Wind heading down Acres road 8-9 miles was just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

First time racing a 10 mile so took my 5 mile time as a rough guide and added a bit, 1.20 was the goal, came in at 1.14.59, delighted with that, I felt the worst thing about today's weather was waiting around in it rather than running in it, well done all who ran today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Good shout on the hanging around part. It got to the stage where I said "[EMAIL="f@ck"]f0ck[/EMAIL] this just get out and run" because I was worried about getting sick again wearing a top that was blending into me! Well done on the time btw!

Jaysus, lads, me legs are killing me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I was about 30 seconds faster than last year, and about 20 seconds faster than the Battle of Clontarf 10 mile back at Easter so very happy with that given the day.

So all the race organisers and volunteers stood out and marshalled/gave out water, took pics in pretty horrendous weather at times. And instead of getting on facebook to thank these people, some get on to complain; why pics aren't time stamped so they can find themselves easier (taken by volunteers); race clock not up over finishing line (was a h&s issue with weather); and the usual crap about the course being long , not measured correctly. What's wrong with people??? Like all the wingers when the marathon filled up.

sassyj wrote: »
    So all the race organisers and volunteers stood out and marshalled/gave out water, took pics in pretty horrendous weather at times. And instead of getting on facebook to thank these people, some get on to complain; why pics aren't time stamped so they can find themselves easier (taken by volunteers); race clock not up over finishing line (was a h&s issue with weather); and the Islam crap about the course being long , not measured correctly. What's wrong with people??? Loke all the wingers when the marathon filled up.

Where are people moaning? I don't see any whingers on here.

I mentioned FB in the post, people on fb

Only one or two ungrateful sods commenting negatively, which there always is. Most of the comments were positive.

EDIT: Just seeing that guy harp on about distances on his garmin being out 400m. What a buffoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

That guy with the 400m would not let it go, and even worse someone representing the event kept replying to him, allll day yesterday.

There was also someone complaining that the photos weren't time stamped so they had to look through them to find themselves. An organiser replied explaining that the photos are taken by volunteers and are available for free so they shut up.

In saying that, at every event I come across at least two photographers still snapping away as I'm coming in with the last few hundred runners, yet they never seem to upload them all. They stop about 10 minutes before I come in. Where do the photos go...

In saying that, at every event I come across at least two photographers still snapping away as I'm coming in with the last few hundred runners, yet they never seem to upload them all. They stop about 10 minutes before I come in. Where do the photos go...

I think they're the official pics taken by a crowd called Finisher Pics and they try and flog them to you next week for €40 each or something exorbitant like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

So all the race organisers and volunteers stood out and marshalled/gave out water, took pics in pretty horrendous weather at times. And instead of getting on facebook to thank these people, some get on to complain; why pics aren't time stamped so they can find themselves easier (taken by volunteers); race clock not up over finishing line (was a h&s issue with weather); and the usual crap about the course being long , not measured correctly. What's wrong with people??? Like all the wingers when the marathon filled up.

Yeah, after that weather I made sure to thank the volunteers as much as I could, in person and on facebook. I remember tossing the empty water cups and just seeing them blow off in the wind and thinking some person has volunteered to pick all of those up in that shocking weather.

The bag situation was a mess at the end, but again everyone had volunteered to look after our bags and after some of the abuse they were getting I'd say that might be the last time they come back.

Enjoyed the run myself and I'm only new to this organised run business so I learned some important lessons yesterday (Bin bags and dry shoes and socks for after!!). Mile 8 was a serious effort and I struggled a bit climbing during mile 9 which slowed me down but came in just under 90 mins which I'm happy with. Next up the half so fingers crossed we'll get better weather!

I'll definitely be doing more of these runs next year, good banter and a few laughs and nice to get a bit of swag at the end too. Also, that ambrosia or muller or whatever it was at the end hit just the right spot!

It's quite phenomenal that people do moan. These 4 races are superbly organised, great fun, you get loads of goodies and every medical base is covered and all for €65. I just don't get the complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Phoole wrote: »
    I think they're the official pics taken by a crowd called Finisher Pics and they try and flog them to you next week for €40 each or something exorbitant like that.

I'd want to be looking puretty fly to pay out 40 quid, and 9.5 miles into that duathlon yesterday I was more drowned rat that anything else. Good to know though.

I'd want to be looking puretty fly to pay out 40 quid, and 9.5 miles into that duathlon yesterday I was more drowned rat that anything else. Good to know though.

Especially with yesterday's conditions being less than ideal for a good hair day!

Phoole wrote: »
    Especially with yesterday's conditions being less than ideal for a good hair day!
    Ha!

I fecking hate race pics, I'm always a red faced mess :)

Are there any links to photos? (Outside of the official ones?)

Thanks a million

Ha!

I fecking hate race pics, I'm always a red faced mess :)

And I always look fat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Are there any links to photos? (Outside of the official ones?)

Thanks a million

Keep an eye on racepix. (Here's the Fingal 10k pics).

However, there are 101 people on Flickr who've uploaded a handful already. (The metadata is quite poor, e.g. you'd note from the weather that what are described as 'by most recent' in the search results are actually from a year in which people didn't swim part of the course). Lindie Naughton may have a photo or two?

Advertisement