Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Race Series 10m & HM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

I found it very though, especially the stretch across the 15 acres and up the subsequent hill to the 9 mile mark. I probably went out too quick which didn't help. Didn't quite break 65, finished 22 seconds off last year and 80 seconds off my PB. Finally, I much preferred last year's route, but I'm sure they had their reasons to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

vinny1313 wrote: »
    I found it very though, especially the stretch across the 15 acres and up the subsequent hill to the 9 mile mark. I probably went out too quick which didn't help. Didn't quite break 65, finished 22 seconds off last year and 80 seconds off my PB. Finally, I much preferred last year's route, but I'm sure they had their reasons to change it.

I preferred the old route too, with more running on the reasonably flat Chesterfield Ave. I guess they needed to change it as its been the same since 2013. The Half route is pretty similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Great race, nice course, weather was woeful but it cleared up. Loved the beanie in the goodie bag. But...

... what on earth was with the bag drop tent fiasco at the end?

It took some people 45 mins or longer to recover their bags. I felt sorry for the boy scouts manning the baggage tent, but it seemed there seemed to be not enough people on the organization side, not enough tents...

Many PBs for bag drop recovery were set yesterday. And not in a good way...

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

uvox wrote: »
    Great race, nice course, weather was woeful but it cleared up. Loved the beanie in the goodie bag. But...

It took some people 45 mins or longer to recover their bags. I felt sorry for the boy scouts manning the baggage tent, but it seemed there seemed to be not enough people on the organization side, not enough tents...

Maybe the system was worse this year, I dunno but...

A lot of people waited under trees etc. as shelter and from about 9.45 or to 10 as we all went up to drop our bags, there was a massive backlog.

I've never seen a Q like that in all the Race Series over the years.
    People started dropping their bags over the fence and walking off. Some threw their bags in. The volunteers gathering the bags were taking multiple bags at once to speed things up (they didn't have much choice in fairness).

In short there was a massive mess at the start that was in part caused by the runners. I know people will say they should have been able to sort it during the race maybe, but did that initial rush mean they were never able to sort the bags/get back on top of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

anyone giving a hard time to a bunch of volunteer kid scouts needs to take a good long hard look at themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

uvox wrote: »

If things were that bad, why didn't you jump in to help them?

I like the way we give out but never actually help out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Truly awful weather but most enjoyed.

A big thank you to all the volunteers. It's was bad enough to run in but without the generosity of their time and effort there simply would be no race.

People venting on social media regarding race organisation (alongside unrealistic expectations) has been growing unfortunately. 20 euro for a race on a closed road, t-shirt and goodie bag and some still complain. Maybe some people need to realise the difficulty of holding a race in type of conditions presented on Saturday.

Truly awful weather but most enjoyed.

A big thank you to all the volunteers. It's was bad enough to run in but without the generosity of their time and effort there simply would be no race.

People venting on social media regarding race organisation (alongside unrealistic expectations) has been growing unfortunately. 20 euro for a race on a closed road, t-shirt and goodie bag and some still complain. Maybe some people need to realise the difficulty of holding a race in type of conditions presented on Saturday.

This. They'll only stop whining the day its taken away from them. Lets just hope that never happens because I love the race series.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Actually didn't do it this year, glad when i saw the weather, but felt sorry for ye.

I remember the real old course and real old goodie bags, they were the days.

Well done all on a bad day, it will make ye tougher for the marathon. Hopefully I be out there to cheer ye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Dissapointing that there was no soup after the race. There was a guy giving out flyers for the one in Clontarf and he said they will definitely have soup so thats where ill be going in future not the pheonix park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Dissapointing that there was no soup after the race. There was a guy giving out flyers for the one in Clontarf and he said they will definitely have soup so thats where ill be going in future not the pheonix park.

Are you saying that because there was no soup for 5000 runners, you are boycotting the Race Series.. How did you honestly think that they could organise that amount of soup ? Seriously tell me that this was a tongue in cheek comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

PVincent wrote: »
    Are you saying that because there was no soup for 5000 runners, you are boycotting the Race Series.. How did you honestly think that they could organise that amount of soup ? Seriously tell me that this was a tongue in cheek comment.

Not a problem in clontarf and how many run there

Not a problem in clontarf and how many run there

go check it !

Wow!

go check it !

Only 3,000 or so I think?

Phoole wrote: »
    Only 3,000 or so I think?

1700 in July. Who wants soup at a summer race. ?

1700 in July. Who wants soup at a summer race. ?

Not me, unless there's bread rolls too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Didn't a lad once feed a big crowd fish finger sandwiches with 2 loaf's of bread and a box of donegal catch? Maybe he's still in business, not sure if he does soup but he can definetly make wine out of water and there was plenty of that in the park on Saturday going on reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I ran Clontarf half once and was so confused when I was handed soup at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I think they're the official pics taken by a crowd called Finisher Pics and they try and flog them to you next week for €40 each or something exorbitant like that.

Photos are up on the Finisher pix site now. I definitely won't be buying any!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

chickey2 wrote: »
    Photos are up on the Finisher pix site now. I definitely won't be buying any!

Ugh. Worst photographer ever. I distinctly remember looking like an ad for Nike as I glided over the finish line. That photo makes me look a struggling wreck.

They're absolutely dreadful and what they're charging for them? The official photos used to be taken around the course, now they're all at the finishing line only when runners tend to be struggling and pushing hard to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

They're absolutely dreadful and what they're charging for them? The official photos used to be taken around the course, now they're all at the finishing line only when runners tend to be struggling and pushing hard to finish.

A lot of excellent free finish line pics on marathon FB page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

+1 to that. There's one where you're in the foreground about to cross the line and I'm about 10 yards behind in the 2015 FD top.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sassyj

HM now sold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

sassyj wrote: »
    HM now sold out!

Oh for f...

I thought it closed on the 9th?

Well, that's incredibly annoying.

Anyone know of any other halfs around that time?

Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Oh for f...

I thought it closed on the 9th?

Well, that's incredibly annoying.

Anyone know of any other halfs around that time?

Grrr.

Like the marathon, it has a certain capacity, so it closes when it hits that or on a certain date. In all fairness, it's not an expensive race!

But there are two half marathons that I know of close to that date. There's one in Kilkenny on the 18th and one in Charleville on the same day. That's a week before Dublin I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Clew Bay HM is on the same day if you fancy a trip to Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Flatline in Athlone is a bit earlier on the 10th, but a nice flat course - http://athlonehalfmarathon.com/enter/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Is the route for the half the same as for the 10 mile, with a bit of a loop out around Farmleigh added on to make up the distance.

Advertisement