Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Race Series 10m & HM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Is the route for the half the same as for the 10 mile, with a bit of a loop out around Farmleigh added on to make up the distance.

Pretty much, along with a nice jog up to Castleknock Gate and back.

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/SSE-AT-DRS16-FD10M-MAP.pdf
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/SSE-AT-DRS16-HM-MAP.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    Flatline in Athlone is a bit earlier on the 10th, but a nice flat course - http://athlonehalfmarathon.com/enter/

Flat courses won't be near as beneficial come the marathon. First six miles of Dublin marathon is tough and this half course will stand to people in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

Flat courses won't be near as beneficial come the marathon. First six miles of Dublin marathon is tough and this half course will stand to people in the long run.

Does anyone have a profile of the marathon route? Need to prepare myself for the first six miles!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Can't believe the half is sold out!! I'm raging

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Once the marathon sold out the half was always going to go the same way. Glad I booked back in June. Mad that people leave it til the last minute every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Phoole wrote: »
    Once the marathon sold out the half was always going to go the same way. Glad I booked back in June. Mad that people leave it til the last minute every year.

It's not mad at all. I signed up for the entire series the year before last in May. Went out to play ball that night and did the cartilage in my knee, couldn't run for months.

And it's not even last minute yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Just wondering if many doing the Half Marathon are also doing the Dublin Marathon in October?

I'd do a half marathon regularly enough, perhaps twice a year, with the race series being my favourite. I'd generally manage between 1:45 and 1:50 for the HM. However, I'd rarely do a marathon. (A 4:35 and a 4:16 disaster, both in 2013, the latter in Dublin).

This year I've signed up for both, and was happy enough with the increasing mileage, but now I'm finding that it's destroying my pace: I can lumber around in 09:45 to 10 min miles for 15-18 miles but I've no higher gears any more when I try to do some short, fast training. (A sub-4 marathon is the target this year).

At this stage I'm considering writing off the Half Marathon via a warm up mile or two, then crossing the starting mat after the main crowds have gone through, with the intention of plodding around at Marathon pace (i.e. 9 min miles). I've the nagging worry though that I'd learn nothing from the exercise, i.e. it'd be a waste of a half-marathon and not much use for the marathon itself. On the other hand I don't think I can do 8 min miles for the half marathon on the current mileage that I'm undertaking for marathon training. There are 1,000,001 online predictor tools that claim I should still be able to do 8 min miles for HM (i.e. c 105 mins) and 9 min miles for marathon (i.e. c sub-4 hours) but I'm certain that I'm developing a unique, single-pace auto-pilot that'll see me do 9:45 for every distance.

What do others do with the half marathon/marathon combination? Is the HM sacrificed for the Marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

Just wondering if many doing the Half Marathon are also doing the Dublin Marathon in October?

I'd do a half marathon regularly enough, perhaps twice a year, with the race series being my favourite. I'd generally manage between 1:45 and 1:50 for the HM. However, I'd rarely do a marathon. (A 4:35 and a 4:16 disaster, both in 2013, the latter in Dublin).

This year I've signed up for both, and was happy enough with the increasing mileage, but now I'm finding that it's destroying my pace: I can lumber around in 09:45 to 10 min miles for 15-18 miles but I've no higher gears any more when I try to do some short, fast training. (A sub-4 marathon is the target this year).

At this stage I'm considering writing off the Half Marathon via a warm up mile or two, then crossing the starting mat after the main crowds have gone through, with the intention of plodding around at Marathon pace (i.e. 9 min miles). I've the nagging worry though that I'd learn nothing from the exercise, i.e. it'd be a waste of a half-marathon and not much use for the marathon itself. On the other hand I don't think I can do 8 min miles for the half marathon on the current mileage that I'm undertaking for marathon training. There are 1,000,001 online predictor tools that claim I should still be able to do 8 min miles for HM (i.e. c 105 mins) and 9 min miles for marathon (i.e. c sub-4 hours) but I'm certain that I'm developing a unique, single-pace auto-pilot that'll see me do 9:45 for every distance.

What do others do with the half marathon/marathon combination? Is the HM sacrificed for the Marathon?
    Did you do the 10k and 10 mile in the race series and if so what were your times?
    It would be no harm to give the HM a good rattle, if you did manage to bag a sub 1:45 it would be a big confidence booster for the full.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

ooter wrote: »
    Did you do the 10k and 10 mile in the race series and if so what were your times?
    It would be no harm to give the HM a good rattle, if you did manage to bag a sub 1:45 it would be a big confidence booster for the full.

Thanks. I didn’t do the Fingal or Frank Duffy this year. I managed c.46:35 in a 10k and c.78:40 in a 10 miler earlier this year. But since racking up the heavy mileage for marathon training I've been worried about the HM. However, taking on board the confidence -building element, I think I'll go flat out. Thanks.

I'm glad someone else has this issue. I did DM last year and ever since I've become slower and slower. This year I'm 3 mins off my regular 10k times and 6+ mins off my 10 mile time. It really feels like I'm severely labouring on long runs. I've since taken it back to complete basics doing sprints and fast, short 4km runs, hoping this will speed me up again.

Anyone else have any experience of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

I'm glad someone else has this issue. I did DM last year and ever since I've become slower and slower. This year I'm 3 mins off my regular 10k times and 6+ mins off my 10 mile time. It really feels like I'm severely labouring on long runs. I've since taken it back to complete basics doing sprints and fast, short 4km runs, hoping this will speed me up again.

Anyone else have any experience of this?
    If you follow a good 5-10km plan with lots of speed work and just focus on that distance racing you will see your times improve.

If you follow a good 5-10km plan with lots of speed work and just focus on that distance racing you will see your times improve.

Cheers. It was taking me ages to figure out. Am I just older? Am I fatter? Do I have an underlying injury or mobility issue? I couldn't figure it out. Once the half is out of the way, I'm going to concentrate solely on fitness and speed in the hope that next year I can bring my times down.

Saturday's forecast is for wet and windy again. Lets hope its changed by then! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Saturday's forecast is for wet and windy again. Lets hope its changed by then! :(

Bus strike on that day too just in case anyone didn't realise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Wet and windy I nearly expect in advance these days, having run this year's Connemara HM & FD 10 in such conditions. Don't you know it's going to be the same for DCM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭jhammer

Beats the heat!!!:D

jhammer wrote: »
    Beats the heat!!!:D

Give me the heat any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Give me the heat any day.

Don't mind the rain at all but the wind is now "fresh breeze" - up from moderate

frash wrote: »
    Don't mind the rain at all but the wind is now "fresh breeze" - up from moderate

Ive no problems with a bit of drizzle or rain but the weather for the FD 10 mile wasn't fun at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Sorry folks, a bit of a random one but does anyone know if there're toilets anywhere along the course? Had a bad experience the other evening on a training run that necessitated a half a mile of walking and despite doing it for years I can't remember whether to not there are any along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

murphm45 wrote: »
    Sorry folks, a bit of a random one but does anyone know if there're toilets anywhere along the course? Had a bad experience the other evening on a training run that necessitated a half a mile of walking and despite doing it for years I can't remember whether to not there are any along the way.

There's usually a load at the corner of Chesterfield Ave and furze Road near the start so you pass them again at about the 10 mile mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

chickey2 wrote: »
    There's usually a load at the corner of Chesterfield Ave and furze Road near the start so you pass them again at about the 10 mile mark.

Thanks, thought there were some alright but couldn't remember. Hopefully i won't need them but it's nice to know they're there as an option.

Its like deja vu!
    Tomorrow will start very wet with the heavy rain spreading East in the morning. Drier conditions will follow from the West during the day but with still some rain at times. Mild with temperatures of 17 to 19 degrees, very windy initially in the East but the winds moderating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

How about we all head over to the park right now and get the race out of the way? The weather is utterly perfect.

The Norwegians are doing their best to ruin the race tomorrow:
    397559.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭jlang

According to the map, there's water stations at 3 and 5.5 miles with Lucozade at 9. Can we assume there'll be water at 9 too? (No jokes about the rain)

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

jlang wrote: »
    According to the map, there's water stations at 3 and 5.5 miles with Lucozade at 9. Can we assume there'll be water at 9 too? (No jokes about the rain)
    There is one at 9.5 miles according to their Facebook page, a lucozade station at Mile 9 and then a water one half a mile further up

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

Good luck to everyone this morning. It's a windy one. Stay in tight in bunches!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,634 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Good luck to yis all. Wrecked I'm not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Another great event this morning. Thanks to all the volunteers for their work throughout the course. All my problems were caused by no one else but myself. Was late leaving, even later arriving messed around with parking was actually going to head away until I found somewhere. So my warm up was a nice brisk run from Conyngham Road. Just arrived as the end of the first was leaving. Cool down was a long slow walk back to the car.

Great event and a great series. Well done to everyone involved in it. I heard a few sirens going at some point, I hope everyone got around safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

Seen a lad on the ground in bad shape, just before the knockmaroon gates, ambulance crews working on him and loads of wires and pads on his chest, really hope he's OK.

Advertisement