Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New route for Race Series 10m & HM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

ooter wrote: »
    Seen a lad on the ground in bad shape, just before the knockmaroon gates, ambulance crews working on him and loads of wires and pads on his chest, really hope he's OK.

I was talking to a garda who said he 'died' but they managed to resuscitate and bring him back. He's in hospital recovering, apparently. Hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

Another very well organised event. Well done to organisers & marshals.

Anyone hear how the guy who collapsed at 8.5 miles is doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I think he might be ok according to the Mentored Novices Thread.Saw a girl down also about 12m but she seemed to be recovering.
    Great value race series as always,t-shirt is the best quality for a couple of years-a lighter material like it used to be and the printed stuff is not too heavy:)
    Another debacle for me and 13mins slower than my first and worst Dublin Half in 2007 when i had never even gone beyond 10 miles before it:o So after 10 in a row that's my last Dublin half,and DCM 2016 will finish my running days.

Anyone have the link to the results page? RTRT tracker or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Phoole wrote: »

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINHALF-2016#/tracker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

You can access it via Chiptimes.biz or through TDL Event Services:
    http://tdleventservices.co.uk/race-results.php?year=2016&event_prefill=2441

Really enjoyable race: the wind and rain largely held off.

Was very worried re the chap on the road between Farmleigh and Mount Sackville, but there were 3 people administering CPR so I didn't stop. (An ambulance with defibrillator did get there less than 10 mins later, but I don't think they could've had equipment out on that stretch of the course. It's just one of those things in a race: they can't have ambulance cover on every inch of it).

The baggage area was a bit of a scrum afterwards. I climed over and tried calling out a few numbers of bags about to be trampled underfoot but it only added to the mess when ten people would simultaneously roar "that one there, to your left/right/centre". Felt a bit like the Christmas panto with a "look behind you". Got my own bag and fled before the crowd or scouts got too rowdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

www.tdleventservices.co.uk

Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

Found that tough to be honest. Got around in 1.47. First 4 miles were good and was in touch with 1.40 pacers. Realised after this, that I would not be able to maintain this so backed off a little bit but still hoping to come in around 1.43. However knew this was not on either fairly shortly afterwards.i did manage to turn in a couple of decent miles on the faster sections of the course still but struggled everywhere. By mile 12 I was shuffling along.

Came across the guy at mount sackville very shortly after he went down. Must say I was very worried for him. It sounds like he got great care. I hope this incident once and for all deals with the earphones brigade.

Also did something happen with one of the 1.40 pacers. Saw him around mile 11 or 12 where 1.40 was no longer on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

Did the 1:40/50/2:00 pacers start in wave 1 or wave 2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Did the 1:40/50/2:00 pacers start in wave 1 or wave 2?

Think it was just 1:40 in wave 1, I was there but then moved back to wave 2 when I didn't see any balloons for 1:50.

Wave 2 had all 3 pacers you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Great day for me 1:23:08 which is a 4 minutes pb for me in a middle of marathon cycle (18 miles tomorrow!) and one minute faster than planned this morning.
    Last mile a bit out of breath though.

Found the course OK, bad head wind at mile 11 for a while.

All in all I am well on target to smash my marathon at DCM and be well sub 3.

Bit of a pain to get out of phoenix park: with the traffic the shuttle bus took a very long time. All in all a good event, a bit too crowded perhaps.

Oh I almost forgot: came 10th in my age category !!!

echancrure wrote: »
    Great day for me 1:23:08 which is a 4 minutes pb for me in a middle of marathon cycle (18 miles tomorrow!) and one minute faster than planned this morning.
    Last mile a bit out of breath though.

Found the course OK, bad head wind at mile 11 for a while.

All in all I am well on target to smash my marathon at DCM and be well sub 3.

Bit of a pain to get out of phoenix park: with the traffic the shuttle bus took a very long time. All in all a good event, a bit too crowded perhaps.

Oh I almost forgot: came 10th in my age category !!!

Jesus well done mate, that's savage.
    18 miles tomorrow, you're obviously doing some serious mileage, do you mind me asking what plan if any you're following, sounds like it's working a treat for you?
    Best of luck at DCM next month.

Anyone else's t-shirt a bit on the huge side compared to the 10 mile? I'm currently swimming in mine if anyone is finding their's a little tight and would like to swap. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Smartguy wrote: »
    Found that tough to be honest. Got around in 1.47. First 4 miles were good and was in touch with 1.40 pacers. Realised after this, that I would not be able to maintain this so backed off a little bit but still hoping to come in around 1.43. However knew this was not on either fairly shortly afterwards.i did manage to turn in a couple of decent miles on the faster sections of the course still but struggled everywhere. By mile 12 I was shuffling along.

Came across the guy at mount sackville very shortly after he went down. Must say I was very worried for him. It sounds like he got great care. I hope this incident once and for all deals with the earphones brigade.

Also did something happen with one of the 1.40 pacers. Saw him around mile 11 or 12 where 1.40 was no longer on the cards

Hope the guy is ok. Why is the earphones an issue out of interest?

Found today tough, only my second HM. I always struggle because I end up with my muscles tightening up so I have to stop and stretch in the last 5k or I'm barely able to run. Hopefully if I keep hitting the distance the body will adapt eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Jesus well done mate, that's savage.
    18 miles tomorrow, you're obviously doing some serious mileage, do you mind me asking what plan if any you're following, sounds like it's working a treat for you?
    Best of luck at DCM next month.

Thanks,

I am using P&D 12 weeks up to 70m. I had to swap week 4 and 5 to fit in Dublin half as a tune up race. Might do a 10k in 3 weeks time to bag in another pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Well done to all the volunteers involved today and to the emergency response crews from Gardaí, Stewards and St Johns's Ambulance. Once agian you are the heros of the day.

There did seem to be a lot more medics around the route today which included and mobile hospital at the finish line, I'm sure this is off the back of last years tragedy.

Found the pacers today were excellent and ran almost spot on to the times on their balloons. I ran the Flatline half two weeks ago and the two hour pacer was miles under but today I went just in front of the 2-10 for most of the race and pushed on with three to go finishing in 2-05(yep I'm not going to be setting any world records with my pace)

Overall very happy with today's run out.

echancrure wrote: »
    Thanks,

I am using P&D 12 weeks up to 70m. I had to swap week 4 and 5 to fit in Dublin half as a tune up race. Might do a 10k in 3 weeks time to bag in another pb.

Had a feeling you were doing high-ish miles, I'd love to be able to do that much but the body just doesn't allow it.
    P&D's 18 week 55 mile plan got me my 10k, HM and marathon PB's so you're in good hands. :)
    Hope the guy is ok. Why is the earphones an issue out of interest?
    I'd imagine it was because they couldn't hear instructions from the stewards, I ran passed the lad that was in trouble and from a good bit back we were being told to keep to the right but loads seemed either not to hear or not want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

1.43 for me today, really pleased with it,2 minutes off my PB which was 1.41 earlier in year.
    Nursing a dodgy knee for the past few months and training has been curtailed.
    The race series really is a fantastic set of events and the best value races around bar none.
    Everyone seemed in great form today despite the rain, but sure once you start running it doesn't bother us that much.

Enjoy the recovery and your eveningsðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just a thought, is the lucozade station a bit of a waste. Actually not a bit but a major waste. Would these not be better in cups? Looking at the bottles on the ground I would say most people just took a mouthful or two. Although I am sure GSK can more than afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

is there something about the half distance that increases the risk of these heart attacks/incidents....I recall the guy in 2013 who died, we had the guy last year (rip both) and a close call today....or is it a statistical likelyhood given the pure numbers (9k) out there busting a gut?

Had a feeling you were doing high-ish miles, I'd love to be able to do that much but the body just doesn't allow it.
    P&D's 18 week 55 mile plan got me my 10k, HM and marathon PB's so you're in good hands. :)

I'd imagine it was because they couldn't hear instructions from the stewards, I ran passed the lad that was in trouble and from a good bit back we were being told to keep to the right but loads seemed either not to hear or not want to hear.
    Exactly, people were pretty good overall but there were a few in their own world. This is life and death stuff.

Just a thought, is the lucozade station a bit of a waste. Actually not a bit but a major waste. Would these not be better in cups? Looking at the bottles on the ground I would say most people just took a mouthful or two. Although I am sure GSK can more than afford it.

Complete waste from a runners perspective. From my point of view, it is too late in the race to be taking in these type of liquids. Ultimately this is just a sponsorship thing.

I didn't see the lucozade station this year!

I didn't see the lucozade station this year!

It was on the straight after the knockmaroon gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 upsidemark

Anyone else's t-shirt a bit on the huge side compared to the 10 mile? I'm currently swimming in mine if anyone is finding their's a little tight and would like to swap. :)

What size are you looking for? I got a Small but it a bit tight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

Smartguy wrote: »
    Complete waste from a runners perspective. From my point of view, it is too late in the race to be taking in these type of liquids. Ultimately this is just a sponsorship thing.

I'd largely agree but, if you look at the race stats, there were only about 1,000 of the 7,000 finishers who made it under the 100 min mark.

From what I can see, it'd appear that there were about 3,000 of 7,000 finishers over the 2 hour mark. Therefore, from 9 miles out, they could yet have at least 35+ mins of a race to do. Even if it's just a 150 kcal sugary boost I'm sure it'd have been gratefully imbibed by a large percentage of that cohort. Most would not know or care of the distinction between isotonic, hypertonic and hypotonic drinks.

It was on the straight after the knockmaroon gates.

I was clearly running too fast :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Most would not know or care of the distinction between isotonic, hypertonic and hypotonic drinks.

Isn't lucozade sport just a bunch of sugar and some other stuff dissolved in a bottle of water? :p

I'm blaming the stuff on my stitch! Was going fine until I took a few swigs.

Advertisement