Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccinations and permanent residency

Options
  • 09-05-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi all - I've a pending I-130 application (Green Card) and in the meantime I'm trying to get together everything I need for the next stage. I've hit a wall in terms of tracking down childhood vaccinations. The HSE only have one from my secondary school days (they say prior to 1996 they do not have a database of records and it's not their problem), my GPs from when I was young keep fobbing me off and the main one only has empty records under my name (they changed over to computers at some stage, obviously my records didn't survive!), nor did my parents think to keep them. Slightly frustrated at this stage as the GPs say talk to the HSE, the HSE say talk to my GP etc. I may or may not be right, but I think legally GPs only have to keep such records for seven years or so.

From a quick run through similar threads, I can see some have been in the same boat and gotten a blood test to prove which ones they've had, might this be the easiest solution (any idea of cost)? My parents say I've had all the normal vaccinations growing up (I'm in my early 30s). I can prove I've had the Meningitis C vaccine and a recent Tetanus booster, but that's it. Two of the listed vaccinations are Hep A and B, which I've definitely never received, so I guess I should just get those asap anyway?

Any thoughts or experiences welcome - I've given up contacting the one doctor appointed by US Embassy in Ireland for advice (sent letter, several phonecalls over weeks and promises of a callback). I had to be pushy though to even get weak promise of getting to talk to doctor by phone as the secretary just said along the lines of "...just turn up, he'll give you whatever boosters you need, be grand etc.." - this is not enough reassurance for me to be honest! I doubt a doctor can just give me boosters for the 12/13 needed all in one go and I don't want needless vaccines if I can help it. It's very frustrating as the questions I have would literally take a min or two to clear-up (e.g. for instance he might have some discretion in terms of what I need to prove or not, or would the cost of needed boosters be covered in the extremely expensive fee that I'll be charged already ((400eur or so I believe)); if some of the vaccines take time to take affect, will it delay me leaving once paperwork comes through etc).

Bureacraucy, gah! Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

My husband didn't have all his childhood shot records. He just went to his GP and got the ones he needed. No problem with the green card. Vaccinations are not typically covered in the cost of the visa medical and they can be VERY expensive. Just go to your GP and explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭wearyexplorer

Speedwell wrote: »
    My husband didn't have all his childhood shot records. He just went to his GP and got the ones he needed. No problem with the green card. Vaccinations are not typically covered in the cost of the visa medical and they can be VERY expensive. Just go to your GP and explain.

Thanks for the reply Speedwell. Well I've tried to explain it to my current GP and he said to get on to the Embassy GP first to talk it through (but he is willing to send off bloods to try and test for what vaccines I have had - getting all of the vaccines again will cost many hundreds I'm told). Someone suggested I ask the original GPs from when I was younger confirming I received vaccines, but (a) I doubt they will do this and (b) it probably won't fly as proof. I'm leaving on a holiday visa to the States for 90 days in July and so am anxious to get this sorted out in unlikely event I am called for a medical prior to returning home again (in all likelihood it will be November/December if processing time goes as normal with no hitches).

Hep A and B will cost a few hundred as it is unfortunately (and note to anyone reading with similar queries, you tyically need x 3 Hep Bs to be fully protected, given over 5/6 months, though I believe they can do a rapid version too).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Hep A and B will cost a few hundred as it is unfortunately (and note to anyone reading with similar queries, you tyically need x 3 Hep Bs to be fully protected, given over 5/6 months, though I believe they can do a rapid version too).

You can get the first Hep B here and the other two in the States after you go over. Just make sure to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just got hep a/b for a holiday, it was three shots but your protected after the first one. The second extends the protection to a year (I think) and the third is 25 years plus. Think it was 40 a jab plus 45 consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

My records had been lost.

The GP for the medical gave me a few(pricey) boosters and that was it.

Don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭wearyexplorer

Just an update after all my complaining ;) The doc rang me this morning in fairness and all I require is an MMR booster which he can give at medical. I already have a Tetanus booster which is also an absolute necessity. Apparently the rest are not needed in myv case (this will vary by age and background according to the Doc though- e.g. if I was under 18 I'd have to get Hep B for example).

Delighted now I won't have as much of a cost as I thought. Thanks for the advice all!

Edit (for anyone using this as advice in future): the above is as I understand it only - I also have an existing Men C vaccine so not sure if that is also essential to have, I'd assume it can also be got as booster.

Advertisement