Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perpendicular plug adapter to save space?

Options
  • 09-05-2016 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I have an appliance with one of these plugs:
    Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg
    and one of these adapters:
    31SyUAOxqpL._SY355_.jpg

The problem is that the socket is just above my head where I sleep and I can't lean back to read (for example). It's such a narrow plug I thought a 90-degree adapter would work perfectly like for PCMCIA hardware:
    product_info.php?products_id=690

Maybe my Google skills are lacking but I've only been able to find the type of adapter I posted above. Does anyone know of such an item? Or could I just wire the device (an alarm clock/radio - it will always need to be plugged in) in directly behind the plate? I've replaced sockets with ones that include USB ports in the past - turning off the relevant fuse - so I know how to stay safe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

or cut it off and fit a standard 3 pin plug

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks brightspark - that's exactly what I'm looking for and I've ordered one. meercat - that never crossed my mind. And I did electronic engineering in 1999 :D The cable is shorter than I'd like so maybe I can gain a centimeter or two with the adapter :)

Appreciate your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I don't know why, but I've noticed a lot of Sony products have the same type of adapter fitted to their equipment.

Cheaper make flimsy adapters than BS plugs I expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Best way to do it IMO is to just chop the two pin plug off and wire a 3-pin plug onto it, or alternatively if there's a standard 2 pin IEC figure-of-8 connector on the other end (as opposed to being hard wired into the appliance), simply buy a new lead with a moulded 3-pin plug in Powercity or similar.

Those 2 to 3-pin adapters are nasty cheap things in my experience and the clips inside don't really grip the plug pins very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

I don't know why, but I've noticed a lot of Sony products have the same type of adapter fitted to their equipment.

Single product for entire EU/EEA (and wider) market. They don't want to be dealing with the quirks of odd connectors in use in smaller markets within it.

I've a few Europlugged items and I just use a French power-strip with 4 sockets and a 13amp Irish plug on the other end. It's far more solidly connected and the sockets are properly shuttered as per modern French norms.

Advertisement