Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Tent Advice

Options
  • 09-05-2016 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I have a 4 person Quecha tent that we use. Its fine but with a new baby it will be too cramped. We want to get a tent for the 2 or 3 camping trips we go on a year as the whole family. The quecha will do me still.
    I was looking at this today. I dont want to spend too much as we go maybe 3 times on a good year.
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&productId=904012
    Obviously its not going to be top of the range in argos but would it keep out the rain? The kids are young so the space isnt too big an issue.

(We do have another family tent but its huge, and takes too long to put up, more like a marquee)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Hydrostatic head 1500mm - the higher the figure, the more waterproof the tent."

1500 would be "OK", but 2000 or more would obviously be better. Maybe check a few more tents/specs online and/or in shop.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Esel wrote: »
    "Hydrostatic head 1500mm - the higher the figure, the more waterproof the tent."

1500 would be "OK", but 2000 or more would obviously be better. Maybe check a few more tents/specs online and/or in shop.

Thanks Esel, I wouldn't know much about the hydro stats and what would be good for Ireland. I'll keep an eye out for 2000+. Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Thanks Esel, I wouldn't know much about the hydro stats and what would be good for Ireland. I'll keep an eye out for 2000+. Thanks for the reply
    I have this one and can't fault it. You get an extra 10% discount if you go in with an axa insurance disc. We were in tralee last year and the heavens opened but it was fine.
    http://www.halfords.ie/camping-leisure/camping/tents/urban-escape-atago-5-man-tent

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

guil wrote: »
    the heavens opened but it was fine.

Probably because your tent has a HH of 3000mm. Tbh, I wouldn't go for any less than that camping in Ireland unless the forecast is zero rain. And even then...

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep mine is also a Vango 5 person tent with a HH of 3000. Very similar, even more space in the sleeping area, but a lot less space outside of the sleeping area. You really can not go far wrong with a Vango tent. Bought mine for £89 including shipping and that was a bargain

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

+1 to Vango. If its good enough for the scouts of Ireland then it will last for most of what you will throw at it. My Vango Zephyr is still on the road from 1987 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

In fairness, Vango tents from the eighties were of a much higher quality than today's Vangoes. That said, we use them for our scouts too, They're dry and rugged - prone to zip damage from overnthusiastic cubs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

guil wrote: »
    I have this one and can't fault it. You get an extra 10% discount if you go in with an axa insurance disc. We were in tralee last year and the heavens opened but it was fine.
    http://www.halfords.ie/camping-leisure/camping/tents/urban-escape-atago-5-man-tent

We got that one last year for camping around Europe and a bit of Ireland and were very happy with the tent once it was up, there's loads of space.

However, it does take longer to put up and take down than an equivalent dome. It can be put up by one person, but it's a lot easier if there's 2 people. When packed it takes up a huge amount of boot space.
    We have an Octavia which has a decent sized boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

Just a quick review of the Urban Escape Atago.
    I got it 2 weeks ago in an online 2hour sale fr the axa discount price of €162.
    Fantastic tent for the price, probably decent value even at the original price of €250 if you compare specs and sizes of similar tents.
    My wife is away in it at the moment with the 2 kids as im working and se sent a few pics back. Plenty of space and good height for standing up in.
    We have 3 camp beds in it and theres room for a 4th(just). 5 beds wouldnt fit but a lot of 5 man tents struggle with 4 of them as their wider and higher than mattresses.
    The living are has a set of table/chairs on one side and a pop up kitchen unit on the other and theres plenty of space to move around.
    It was put up by one adult and a 7yo "helping". Erecting it was my main worry before buying due to the size and it was fine. She said it was made more difficult as their high up and had a good breeze blowing but still manageable. Should be simple enough on a calmer day.
    Its only been up twice, once for a test pitch in the garden and been used for a few nights and we're delighted we bought it.
    Not a long term review by any means but first impressions are 10/10 for anyone looking for a good affordable and spacious 3/4 man tent. Itll sleep 5 no probs, just not on camp beds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement