Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retained fire fighter

Options
  • 09-05-2016 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hi, I know someone in a fire station who has informed me that a few people will be retiring next year in the local station and they'll be looking to replace them. I've tried to join the aux service with the civil defence but they said they're not recruiting. How long does the training last for retained if I get accepted when they recruit? He tells me the local station will earn more than Dublin fire brigade fire fighters as its a busy station, 2-3 calls a day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TJHooker2016

Mccabe96 wrote: »
    Hi, I know someone in a fire station who has informed me that a few people will be retiring next year in the local station and they'll be looking to replace them. I've tried to join the aux service with the civil defence but they said they're not recruiting. How long does the training last for retained if I get accepted when they recruit? He tells me the local station will earn more than Dublin fire brigade fire fighters as its a busy station, 2-3 calls a day.

Your questions are incredibly vague. try be a bit more specific. Maybe ask your buddy as he seems to have the answers to the other questions and more local knowledge. Im assuming you are in Tralee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Do medical courses if u can't get into civil defence, retained training is 3 weeks initially. Then you get a beeper and put on call in your station. During your first year you'll do breathing apparatus course and few other courses.

Been retained you'll have to go on the dole or have another job . Pay isn't great unless you're in a good station on about 350+ calls a year which is rare. Plus as a retained firefighter you don't get a pension ( maybe you do nowadays but it's not great I'd imagine) and you're on call a lot . It's a great job but not for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

Do medical courses if u can't get into civil defence, retained training is 3 weeks initially. Then you get a beeper and put on call in your station. During your first year you'll do breathing apparatus course and few other courses.

Been retained you'll have to go on the dole or have another job . Pay isn't great unless you're in a good station on about 350+ calls a year which is rare. Plus as a retained firefighter you don't get a pension ( maybe you do nowadays but it's not great I'd imagine) and you're on call a lot . It's a great job but not for everyone.

Advertisement