Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meedoc

Options
  • 09-05-2016 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Mods please feel free to move if in the wrong forum.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience using Meedoc, the new online doctor services. Seems like a great idea but just wondering if it's too good to be true!! Would love to hear some feedback if anyone has used it. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭talkto

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    Mods please feel free to move if in the wrong forum.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience using Meedoc, the new online doctor services. Seems like a great idea but just wondering if it's too good to be true!! Would love to hear some feedback if anyone has used it. Thanks!

Which part sounds too good to be true? Don't they charge €35 per online consultation? There are GPs in parts of the country that charge €50 for an in-person consultation, so to me €35 for an online one doesn't sound relatively cheap at all, unless I'm missing something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How can they diagnose you properly?
    Lungs, heart, blood pressure, tenderness, temperature.
    If I had gone online with a cough last year, I wouldnt have been sitting here writing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,033 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Prescriptions given for certain items from online doctors have been suggested to be extremely dodgy by people on the Health Sciences forum here - asking pharmacists to perform diagnostics and make judgements on whether the prescription is suitable for instance.

I can see a real human GP for €30 in Maynooth at that!

L1011 wrote: »
    Prescriptions given for certain items from online doctors have been suggested to be extremely dodgy by people on the Health Sciences forum here - asking pharmacists to perform diagnostics and make judgements on whether the prescription is suitable for instance.

I can see a real human GP for €30 in Maynooth at that!

€30 for a regular GP consultation?

talkto wrote: »
    €30 for a regular GP consultation?

Yeah. You basically have to promise to go to that surgery as your main GP from then on or else they charge more.

There's another that's 40 after the first time if you sign up for a free 'family card'. Too many private only surgeries has caused some competition - this is replicated in some other towns.

• Advertisement

Yeah. You basically have to promise to go to that surgery as your main GP from then on or else they charge more.

How would they know if you went to a different GP? And how would the penalise you for doing so?

How would they know if you went to a different GP? And how would the penalise you for doing so?

They don't, and they charge a walk-in price of 50.

They don't, and they charge a walk-in price of 50.

So it's a membership scheme, and for members it's €30 per consultation, and for non-members it's €50? Do they charge to become a member?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Which part sounds too good to be true? Don't they charge €35 per online consultation? There are GPs in parts of the country that charge €50 for an in-person consultation, so to me €35 for an online one doesn't sound relatively cheap at all, unless I'm missing something.

My GP charges 40 and takes his time. 35 without an inperson meeting sounds very steep.

So it's a membership scheme, and for members it's €30 per consultation, and for non-members it's €50? Do they charge to become a member?

No. The 40 quid place at least used to have a fee deal where the per use was lower but it was of no interest to me so I didn't follow it up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

35e and they can't check BP etc, not good value at all
    You could pay more in the long run

My GP charges 40 and takes his time. 35 without an inperson meeting sounds very steep.

€40 is quite low. I haven't come across a GP myself that charges less than €50 in a good few years.

So I can see why some people might be drawn to the idea of paying €35 for a consultation.

But, since it's done online and not in person, when you consider that the online GP is likely to end up telling you to visit your own GP to get checked out in person, maybe to get blood pressure checked, or blood tests, or whatever, and having to then fork out for that consultation on top of the online one, €35 really is not cheap at all.

I think that some health insurance packages offer 24/7 access to a helpline where you can speak to a nurse, which may be a better option than this. (Although, I know that plenty of people simply cannot afford health insurance at the moment.)

Advertisement