Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post - registered post

Options
  • 09-05-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Has anyone experienced the postman signing registered post on behalf of the receiver?

Some post arrived today for a person not currently living at this address but when I check the tracking number, it said it was signed for by the person who isn't even in the country.

Surely this entirely defeats the purpose of the registered post?

I've requested a delivery confirmation from an post and going to ring them tomorrow too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭racersedge

Has anyone experienced the postman signing registered post on behalf of the receiver?

Some post arrived today for a person not currently living at this address but when I check the tracking number, it said it was signed for by the person who isn't even in the country.

Surely this entirely defeats the purpose of the registered post?

I've requested a delivery confirms him from an post and going to ring them tomorrow too.

On more than one occasion. Even happened on a high value parcel that the post man left under the mat!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

My postman is also a neighbour, so I know him personally.

I was expecting a piece of registered post at a time when I might not have been home, so I asked him if he could, with my authority, accept it on my behalf and sign for it. He told me that he was not allowed, and could find himself in trouble if he did.

It seems that enforcement of rules is inconsistent.

They do store the signatures, so can produce a facsimile - although my signature on their electronic device probably bears little resemblance to my signature on paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I've requested a delivery confirmation from an post and going to ring them tomorrow too.

An Post won't be able to give you those details.

1- you are not the sender
    2 - you are not the addressee.

Under data protection they cannot give you any details. - send it back to the sender and add a note. But other than that An Post cannot give any information to a stranger.

If the recipient still lives there but is just not there at present, they can make a complaint.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

You can get delivery confirmations, including the digital signature, via the An Post Website, all you need is the tracking number: https://track.anpost.ie/DeliveryConf.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Never had it with An Post but had it one particular courier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

The postman is not allowed to sign for someone elses post. I say, report him at your local sorting office.

Advertisement