Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology Companies in Limerick/Clare

• 09-05-2016 9:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I said I'd ask this here instead of the Midwest forum because I'd get more replies.

My girlfriend is finishing up her masters in molecular cell biology in Cork in the coming months and will be starting the job hunt in Limerick/Clare. I currently have a job in Limerick also. Does anyone know of any other biology/disease research companies in the region outside of Regeneron and BD Gencell in Raheen? I know Beckmann Coulter are in O'Callaghans Mills in Clare but I think that's more of a production facility(open to correction).

Any help would be appreciated. I understand there are a heap of companies in Cork that would tick the box but we'd like to stay in Limerick. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Chavways wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I said I'd ask this here instead of the Midwest forum because I'd get more replies.

My girlfriend is finishing up her masters in molecular cell biology in Cork in the coming months and will be starting the job hunt in Limerick/Clare. I currently have a job in Limerick also. Does anyone know of any other biology/disease research companies in the region outside of Regeneron and BD Gencell in Raheen? I know Beckmann Coulter are in O'Callaghans Mills in Clare but I think that's more of a production facility(open to correction).

Any help would be appreciated. I understand there are a heap of companies in Cork that would tick the box but we'd like to stay in Limerick. Thanks.

There wouldn't be plethora of companies in the mid-west doing such work but here goes what I know.

Lab-based positions:
    Two local clinical diagnostics companies are Technopath (Ballina, Co. Tipp: 20 mins out the M7) and Serosep (Annacotty). Both of these have looked for molecular/cellular biologists in the past. Note however, both are smallish operations but do look for scientists from time to time.

Olympus Biotech are in Raheen and are expanding. Don't know much about them other than that. Stryker, while they mainly work in analytical chemistry and biomaterials etc., do have a cellular biology lab. They are a big enough operation and are in Raheen.

City Analysts (Shannon) and BHP (Thomondegate) both do your standard microbiology/environmental testing, if that is of any interest to your gf?

Non lab-based. Icon, a big clinical research organisation, have a Limerick facility (Castletroy)and do mainly drug/disease type research work and so look for people with your gf's educational background. Afaik they do multimedia for patients involved in clinical trials so molecular/cellular knowledge would be required in many of the roles they advertsie.
    Ex Icon employees have recently strated Teckro, a city centre operation that do similar work to Icon above. The are small but are recruiting clinical research associates and the like.

If you require more info, please feel free to pm.

This is great! Thank you very much. She is more interested in lab work and hoping to progress into R&D down the line so a lab based job would suit her better I think.

I think you've answered all of my queries. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Chavways wrote: »
    This is great! Thank you very much. She is more interested in lab work and hoping to progress into R&D down the line so a lab based job would suit her better I think.

I think you've answered all of my queries. Thanks!

A few other lab-based positions:

Eurofins regularly advertise for entry- and experienced-level lab positions in Limerick (and have been doing so for a while). I think they do contract work for some of the bigger pharma/biotech outfits.

Cook Medical also advertise lab positions from time to time. Said to be a very good employer and they have interests in many disease conditions, so an in there could open up a few doors in the long term.

Great. Eurofins looks pretty interesting by the looks of things. I've sent her a list of everything you've mentioned so she can have a look and decide for herself. Thank you very much again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement