Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling for a NO to TUI ballot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

We better hope its a yes with our new president!
    WE (as in I and anybody I've spoken with) don't want a Yes, new president or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What is the TUI/Dept. actually offering in that document?

Basically we get a few extra flexible CP hours each year instead of not doing them at all. And they promise not to do lots of extra horrible things to us.

Good summation from Conlon last nt on Grassroots Group that I quoted on previous page.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99817797&postcount=137

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

€1000 in pay restoration in sept, and the S&S we should already have. The ward report also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

As i recall the department wanted them to be one hour teaching per week initially but the unions weren't having it.

Would an hour per week teaching be less of an insult?

Can we accept the gradual dismantling of the hours with restored pay rather than their abolition with what comes in FEMPI?

I don't buy this argument about feeling bullied.

Are you sure?

• Advertisement

We already have some of the highest contact hours in the world. An extra hour teaching would mean extra time preparing as well. Not a runner imo.
    It would have been better than being stuck in a pointless meeting for an hour or two every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

It would have been better than being stuck in a pointless meeting for an hour or two every week.

Disagree. At least you could sleep during some CP hours and know you werent missing anything ;)

My hunch is that an extra teaching hour per week would be less favourable to the majority of the profession than a meeting which I general use to do my own thing.

I voted yes in the TUI ballot and the main reason is NQTs. If what we are hearing is true I don't want the INTO in there on their won negotiating on the restoration of allowances for NQTs. Without meaning to offend anyone who is a member of the INTO but I think they roll over too easily and the deal that emerges will be stronger with the presence of a 2nd level union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

doc_17 wrote: »
    My hunch is that an extra teaching hour per week would be less favourable to the majority of the profession than a meeting which I general use to do my own thing.

I voted yes in the TUI ballot and the main reason is NQTs. If what we are hearing is true I don't want the INTO in there on their won negotiating on the restoration of allowances for NQTs. Without meaning to offend anyone who is a member of the INTO but I think they roll over too easily and the deal that emerges will be stronger with the presence of a 2nd level union.

I have to agree with you on balance. It's easy to get caught up in TUI v ASTI and so on but if our interests are to be met in a real way we do need a second level union in there.

There is no comparison, for example, between s & s at primary and post primary. INTO need to be there for their members and TUI / ASTI for second level.

We won't have long to wait now in any case.

doc_17 wrote: »
    But teachers are not getting to do their own thing in the Croke Park hours.

• Advertisement

Did anybody else read the SBP article last week about possible pressure for 4 teacher unions to merge? Interesting.

Did anybody else read the SBP article last week about possible pressure for 4 teacher unions to merge? Interesting.

The sooner the better really, the union officials and executives themselves seem to want it but there seems to be resistance from members?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Is that article available online? I had a look through the SBP website but no sign of it.

It didn't focus on teacher unions, just a little snippet at the end of a piece on merger of Impact, PSEU and CPSU.

(Just had a look there now and it's actually on Sunday Times, pg 3 of Business section).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

When is the TUI ballot result due?

Ballots had to be in today at 5 so I presume tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Icsics

Thanks doc

Presidential Ballot result was out 3 hours after it closed with a 50% turnout so I'd say we could well have a result before 9/10pm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Please be a NO
    Together we have some chance
    Divided we will be conquered
    Again

km79 wrote: »
    Please be a NO
    Together we have some chance
    Divided we will be conquered
    Again

Some will say thay ASTI should have come in and not caused the division. 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

• Advertisement

I'm with you km79, the logical side of my brain says that there's no way that membership would move from 92% to 49% in a matter of months, but the reality is TUI head office had a very strong Yes campaign going and a lot of members don't even question it, just go with recommendation.

Some will say thay ASTI should have come in and not caused the division. 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

Yes it would indeed be easier if both union memberships just accepted everything the govt threw at them alright :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Given Paschal O'Donoghue's statements regarding pay equalisation I think it's clear the TUI recommendation was a mistake and I sincerely hope it's a no. NQTs misled and sold out again. All the agreement does is lock in inequality for yet another two years.

For sure Arlessienne, but they'll just keep spouting about the great deal they got.

Hopefully it'll be a NO and I won't feel quite so VIOLENT towards them (and anybody who voted Yes).

Given Paschal O'Donoghue's statements regarding pay equalisation I think it's clear the TUI recommendation was a mistake and I sincerely hope it's a no. NQTs misled and sold out again. All the agreement does is lock in inequality for yet another two years.

What was Paschal on About?

I don't ****in believe it, they accepted, just in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Got it on Facebook 10 mins ago. Ruined my dinner. So angry

Got it on Facebook 10 mins ago. Ruined my dinner. So angry

Well one person here will be delighted
    Let's see how it plays out over next few years now eh!!!
    We will be back again
    Promises broken . New deal offered. Threats made. Deal accepted by one Union .

• Advertisement

Any word on when the guards are being penalized for stopping with CP hours 6 months ago ?
    No you say .........
    Sometimes I wonder about people in our profession
    Can't see long term whatsoever

Advertisement