Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you could loose your home if you don't keep up payments on it

Options
  • 09-05-2016 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

so the mortgage adverts be like "You may loose your house if you dont keep up repayments on it" - do you think its the right way to go these days, to make people/family homeless if they dont/cant keep up mortgage repayments or do you think there is a more amicable/ sensible better thing mortgage companies can do if people cannot keep up their payments than turf people out? - thank god in my personal circumstances I am a renting our house, I'd hate to be saddled with a Mortgage these days and the uncertainty whether i could afford to keep up re-payments for 25 years or so!

Comments

If you don't pay for something, why should you be allowed keep it?
    If that's the way we are going I'm gonna buy a brand new fab car on hp, & not bother paying for it.
    I'll just keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

It's up to the bank and its customers to work out. If a person signed the contract stating that the house can be taken away then the bank should be allowed to follow the contract. If they negotiate new terms its up to the bank. If a person doesn't like the idea of that then they shouldn't take out a mortgage or look to get one from a bank with terms they prefer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Hoots man there's juice. Loose. About this hoose!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

bubblypop wrote: »
    If that's the way we are going I'm gonna buy a brand new fab car on hp, & not bother paying for it.
    I'll just keep it.

quite different. most people/families could survive without a car, but if they loose their house and get homeless ....

I'll just keep it.

Should've thrown a load of bankers out of their banks, seein as they struggled to pay for a load of shìt too, only for the taxpayers dollars!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The old woman who lived in the shoe could loose her home.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What do you mean "these days". It's the way it's always been. And yes, if you take out a loan to buy something why shouldn't you lose it if you don't keep repaying the loan?

In reality a failure to pay will take several years to become a repossession. You have to be properly ****ed for it to get that far, not just briefly down on your luck.

The thing that's wrong with our system is that you can't hand back the keys and walk away. The borrower takes all the risk and the bank takes none. Unless they're lending hundreds of millions to a greasy haired guy who calls himself a developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

quite different. most people/families could survive without a car, but if they loose their house and get homeless ....

What if they only loosen it a small bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Why can't they rent?

Nate

The old woman who lived on n the shoe could loose her home.

She had that many children, loose like sleeve of wizard.

• Advertisement

There's plenty of houses to rent.
    There is no right to own your own house, many thousands of people rent a home for their whole life.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In reality very few houses have been repossessed by the banks. Borrowers in mortgage arrears usually make restructured repayment deals with the lender. Irish banks don't really do repossessions unless in extreme cases.

There's plenty of houses to rent.
    There is no right to own your own house, many thousands of people rent a home for their whole life.

latest ive been hearing there is a shortage of rental properties available ...

maybe they be better saying you could lose your property or face a prison sentence if you dont keep up your repayments ?

so when these places do re-posses and the place is sitting empty for years and the financial people still dont get their mortgage payments.... who wins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Hoots man there's juice. Loose. About this hoose!

Thanks for sending me to bed with this tune in my head.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

maybe they be better saying you could lose your property or face a prison sentence if you dont keep up your repayments ?

Why would you be facing a prison sentence? You'd have to have done a lot more than default on your mortgage payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

For every family turfed out there is another house on the market. Circle of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,309 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Don't care if I'm banned or what.

It's lose, Lose, LOSE!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In certain areas, mostly dublin, yes, but there's plenty of properties to rent all around the country, even oversupply in some areas:

DAFT: 3341 properties to rent

MyHome: 1170 properties

Not unless you've burnt the house down. The consequence for non-payment is reposesion, as you agree to when you sign for the mortgage in the first place
    so when these places do re-posses and the place is sitting empty for years and the financial people still dont get their mortgage payments.... who wins?

They're sold on by the institution. An empty property is no good for a banks balance sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Allinall

Why would you think it would be empty for years?

The bank will sell it to recoup their money.

That's why it's called a mortgage, and not jyst a loan.

People that take out mortgages should really know what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

It's up to the bank and its customers to work out. If a person signed the contract stating that the house can be taken away then the bank should be allowed to follow the contract. If they negotiate new terms its up to the bank. If a person doesn't like the idea of that then they shouldn't take out a mortgage or look to get one from a bank with terms they prefer.

True, and in normal circumstances I'd agree 110%.

But moral hazard was subverted when said banks wouldn't still be in business without our cash being used to prop them up; you couldn't have a contract with a company that doesn't exist, and a loan couldn't be called in early.

So at least some recognition of that wouldn't go astray, with banks showing some gratitude and goodwill - say for example knocking 1% off the loan rate for 5 years or adding 1% to deposit interest rates for those without mortgages.

Instead banks upped fees and didn't pass on rate reductions, gouging and screwing those without whom they wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm a mortgage holder, I'm amazed how many people (anecdotally) see the mortgage as not their problem if they can't pay it due to job loss, rising interest rates etc. It seems to be deeply ingrained culture here.

If you borrow money for something and can't afford to pay it back, then you've no right to keep it - this goes for a house, a car or anything else paid for in this manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'd rather rent modestly for 25 years and save enough to pay for my home outright or mostly so.

In fact I have actually done this! I'm in no hurry to buy a home at the moment though; in our current situation (I work from home, so I could theoretically work anywhere with a good enough Internet connection, and my husband is looking for work in his field; we don't have kids) it doesn't make sense to be locked down. It was nice to not have to sell a home before I immigrated to be with my husband here, too.

I wonder how long it would have taken me to pay off a mortgage equivalent to my savings, and how it would compare to the amount of time it actually took me to save the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I'd be sick as a homeowner getting turfed out by the banks while simultaneously bailing the bas!ards out...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I'd be sick as a homeowner getting turfed out by the banks while simultaneously bailing the bas!ards out...

How about being someone who never bought because they couldn't afford to, or thought that prices were overinflated. But still has to bail the banks out even though you did nothing to contribute to the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,576 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

OP - you lost me at "be like..."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

They wont be sitting for years empty, we have a housing crisis and are due a shipment of refugees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

maudgonner wrote: »
    How about being someone who never bought because they couldn't afford to, or thought that prices were overinflated. But still has to bail the banks out even though you did nothing to contribute to the crash.

I know I'm still waiting on an invoice from them to show my part in the crash...I can guarantee I know the figure on the end of it...

Advertisement