Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain Storage

Options
  • 09-05-2016 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi All

I'm brewing all grain for that last few year now. Finding some in consistencies between the same recipes. I was thinking of buying a mill and milling my own grain as I buy the grain milled but it never looks the same when I get it. Some has more flour than others and on one occasion a stuck sparge. I was wondering what do people use to store whole grain? I'm looking for something I could leave in the garage(cold and dampish in the winter)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Lager scalable plastic box or bucket, as you don't want mice at your grain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

After I tasting what Galway Bay can produce with crushed sacks of grain from Germany or where ever..

I just order it crushed now and as I need it.. Very handy and keeps a lot longer than some would say...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭willabur

How long does it keep?

I was unable to brew there for 10 months, I have 20KG of MO sitting in the press all that time

willabur wrote: »
    How long does it keep?

I was unable to brew there for 10 months, I have 20KG of MO sitting in the press all that time

mmmh not sure, might be best to try a small test brew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sorry to hijack the thread. I had some grain crushed around 4 weeks ago. I haven't had time to brew so its been left in the bag in the back of the car. Chuck or use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Use it. I cant tell the difference between fresh that day and month old. I hit my OG with each.

The starch should convert either way.

Yeah at 4 weeks you're grand

Advertisement