Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to set up a rod??

• 09-05-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭

I know this may sound stupid.

What goes on first and what goes on last? I always assumed float hook and weight last. I'm going on a cruise on the Shannon soon and just want to get things right.

Also what is the best bait to use and for what fish? Will i catch a different fish with maggots or a worm? And what are boilies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Would you not consider spinners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭kilograms

Took me 2 days to figure out howto reply on this app 😬

Is that the best way to catch fish? Would you yourself spend a few days fishing with just spinners.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

kilograms wrote: »
    Took me 2 days to figure out howto reply on this app 😬

Is that the best way to catch fish? Would you yourself spend a few days fishing with just spinners.
    You could just use spinners yea, especially if your going to be on the move. Most important thing though is to have a suitable pliers and forceps with you, have you handled fish before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

I know this may sound stupid.

What goes on first and what goes on last? I always assumed float hook and weight last. I'm going on a cruise on the Shannon soon and just want to get things right.

The answer is "it depends". If you're fishing with a float, the float goes on first, then a small weight to cock the float and finally the hook at the end of the line with the bait on the hook.

If you're fishing on the bottom, you usually put the hook on a piece that hangs off the main line, with the weight on the bottom.
    Also what is the best bait to use and for what fish? Will i catch a different fish with maggots or a worm? And what are boilies
    Fish typically prefer different foods, so one bait works better than others for different target species. There's a broad range of fish in the Shannon, particularly if you end up in Lough Ree, where you can catch pike on mackerel. Actually, the first ever freshwater fish I caught was a small pike on a spinner from the shore of Lough Ree.

For information on boilies, try this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

Hey

if your using a float that would go on first,
    consider getting float stops, theyre little pieces of rubber that will hold it in place, it allows you to change it for different depths and fishing techniques.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drennan-Float-Stops-Small/dp/B00842R3P6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463609181&sr=8-1&keywords=float+stop

normally i would use light tackle, so swan shot would be what I would use,
    you can use one just beneath the float instead of one float stop,
    and they can easily be moved or swapped for different weights.

you decide on where you want to place your hook, on the bottom or just off the floor.
    an easy knot to learn, which a decent knot is the palomar knot,
    it allows for you to have an extra bit of line at the bottom for weight,

http://d17dfdys9mu8rp.cloudfront.net/dropshotting-palomar-knot.jpg

hope this helps,
    different bait will catch different bit, your best bet there is to research where you fishing for types of fish and good bait types for them.

• Advertisement

You could just use spinners yea, especially if your going to be on the move. Most important thing though is to have a suitable pliers and forceps with you, have you handled fish before?

I have yes. I have all the tools to. Spent €300 on gear and equipment in the past 2 weeks getting ready for my trip (fishing gear is not cheap).

I just don't know as much about fishing as i would like to.

bpmurray wrote:
    Fish typically prefer different foods, so one bait works better than others for different target species. There's a broad range of fish in the Shannon, particularly if you end up in Lough Ree, where you can catch pike on mackerel. Actually, the first ever freshwater fish I caught was a small pike on a spinner from the shore of Lough Ree.

We are leaving from portumna and will be heading to banagher on the first night then the next 2 days on lough derg

Advertisement