Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's a problem (mod warning post #3)

• 10-05-2016 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

So I've had progressively worse gynecomastia over the last 3 / 4 years. It's gotten to the point now where I can no longer just wear a tshirt. It's making me really self conscious and is effecting my day to day life. I read on an older thread that if I go to my gp I can get surgery covered by my medical card but I'm just not sure if that's true and if my condition is even bad enough. Has anyone gone through something similar. Need help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Upforit5988

I forgot to add that it's not a man boobs problem, I'm 5"11 and 75kg so I'm not overweight. It's just very very puffy nipples.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

ANY idiot who makes a "joke" about this will get a month off from the forum

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As far as I'm aware plastic surgery is available on the medical card on a case by case basis. That's entirely based on overheard conversations and half forgotten readings so not even close to gospel. Hopefully someone has better info.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The only experience I have had with this was caused by a hormone imbalance and is easily treatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'd say definitely go see a doctor about this.
    If you are not overweight you should not have this problem.
    Sounds like it may be a hormonal problem if your nipples are enlarging.

Get checked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ASoberThought

I think they can prescribe <snip> for that

mod edit - no discussion or rec on prescription meds allowed sorry

stoneill wrote: »
    The only experience I have had with this was caused by a hormone imbalance and is easily treatable.
    I've read that it's a hormone imbalance yes, that I have excess estrogen and the only way to fix it is increase my levels of testosterone. So I got tablets and I've been working out regularly to try that, but it's just gotten worse

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I've read that it's a hormone imbalance yes, that I have excess estrogen and the only way to fix it is increase my levels of testosterone. So I got tablets and I've been working out regularly to try that, but it's just gotten worse

Pop into the local GP for a chat about it. They will know all the up to date treatments. A quick look at the HSE website says:
    Liposuction, also known as liposculpture or suction-assisted lipectomy, is a treatment to remove excess body fat. It is carried out on areas of the body where deposits of fat tend to collect, such as the buttocks, hips, thighs and abdomen. Other popular areas for liposuction are under the chin, neck, upper arms, breasts, knees, calves or ankles.

Liposuction permanently removes fat cells and can alter body shape. But the remaining fat cells can grow bigger, so weight loss is not necessarily permanent if a person continues to lead an unhealthy lifestyle after the operation.

Liposuction is not a treatment for obesity, and it will not remove cellulite or stretch marks. There is a limit to the amount of fat that can be safely removed, and the surgery carries a number of risks, such as infection, scarring and numbness.

Liposuction may also be used to treat some medical conditions, such as:

gynaecomastia: fatty breast tissue development in men

It also mentions diet too, so it would be best to get it checked out by a professional so they can see if the problem can be fixed up by a change of diet or exercises.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/L/Liposuction/The-operation.html

Thanks, I've been thinking about going to the gp for a while but Im just a bit scared that they will dismiss it as nothing. It took me three weeks to build up the courage to show my mother and her reply was "it's just something some people have" and that I had to just get over it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Thanks, I've been thinking about going to the gp for a while but Im just a bit scared that they will dismiss it as nothing. It took me three weeks to build up the courage to show my mother and her reply was "it's just something some people have" and that I had to just get over it.

Absolutely not. It's a matter that is obviously causing you quite a bit of distress, so therefore needs attention in order to find a resolution.

Whenever you feel ready, and in your own good time, contact your local GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Go see a doctor OP.

A hormone imbalance may be the cause but there can be far more serious consequences of hormonal imbalances or there could be a symptom of something else serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

...So I got tablets ...
    Thanks, I've been thinking about going to the gp for a while but Im just a bit scared that they will dismiss it as nothing....

You have tablets and havent been to a GP yet? That doesnt sound like a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

........So I got tablets ........

Missed this bit too.

What type of tablets did you get? And where/who did you get them from?
    This sounds super dodgy! You shouldn't be putting any exogenous hormones into your body without the say so of a doctor, and even then i'd avoid it if at all possible.

If it is testosterone tables from the internet please stop taking them, T should not be taken orally as it is damaging to the liver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

upsetbf86 wrote: »
    Missed this bit too.

What type of tablets did you get? And where/who did you get them from?
    This sounds super dodgy! You shouldn't be putting any exogenous hormones into your body without the say so of a doctor, and even then i'd avoid it if at all possible.

If it is testosterone tables from the internet please stop taking them, T should not be taken orally as it is damaging to the liver.

Not usually test based either if they're orals but another androgen which can make any existing low test issue or poor E/T ratios even worse. OP as others have said, first port of call should be the GP. If you did purchase something online, then be sure to say it to the doctor when you're in there and ideally bring the tabs and packaging with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

mzungu wrote: »
    Absolutely not. It's a matter that is obviously causing you quite a bit of distress, so therefore needs attention in order to find a resolution.

Whenever you feel ready, and in your own good time, contact your local GP.

^^this.

I had a hormone imbalance and it's a blood test that diagnoses it. I got referred to an endocrinologist and put on one tablet a day. Within a week, I could see it working. Such a simple solution for something that was making my life so miserable at the time.

It could take a little while for a public endocrinologist referral to come through so the sooner you get the ball rolling with your GP the quicker you get back to being you.

Advertisement