Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H.A.P.

Options
  • 10-05-2016 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

If there's already a thread on the scheme that I'm not seeing then feel free to lock this or merge it.

Until then.....

Currently on R.A/R.S. & have been for some time but submitted the HAP Form to my Landlord-Owner & Letting Agent.

Was informed a number of weeks ago (5-6 now I think, maybe more) that the HAP Form wasn't being signed.

LL has always signed R.A. Forms, filled out R.S. Reviews etc. prior to now.

I'm not choosing to go on H.A.P.; it's the DSP pushing me onto it & it's a nationwide changeover I think.

So, can anyone tell me, opine, why, after 6+ Years on R.A. a LL suddenly won't fill out a H.A.P. Form?

What's the difference?

To put some meat on it I'm currently in receipt of R.S. at a rate of €48.80 Weekly & while officially the upper limit for a Single Person Living Alone in a 1 Bed Flat/Apartment is €80.77 a week to qualify for R.A. I'm paying above that with some UTC Payments to top up the rent; I doubt I'm the only one so please don't judge me.

So what's the S.P. please? Why would a L.L. accept R.A./R,S but won't accept H.A.P.?

When the form was returned to me I was informed I'm being evicted also but the two are unrelated; the form could've been signed & I could've been given my notice separately surely?

What'm I missing out on here please? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You've answered your question in your own post. You are paying more than the rent allowance for the property so if your LL accepts the HAP they will be down money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

That wasn't mentioned as a reason; are the levels of R.S./R.A. & H.A.P. the same or is there a difference?

As for UTC Payments, any landlord accepting same/tenants paying same would expect this "agreement" to continue so for me that's not an issue; I wasn't under any illusions it wouldn't.

Has the differential increased?

Or are there some other issues & differences between why a LL will accept R.A./R.S. but won't accept H.A.P. please? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Sounds like the landlord has realised they can get even more money on that open market. I don't know where you are but that sounds exceptionally low rent even with the illegal top ups you're making.

With my mod hat on, OP try not to use so many abbreviations. Not everyone will know what you mean. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

To come at it from another angle:
    The LL might not want to enter into the HAP scheme because he's then tied into a long term letting essentially, and if you move out, he then has to accept another tenant, of the Council's choosing, and he may not want that.
    Also, the Council won't pay the LL the going market rate; they will negotiate rents and more often than not, the Council will pay much less.

Why would he accept that when he would have no problem getting a professional tenant in who can afford the rent he's asking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The local authority will inspect your accommodation within 8 months of the first HAP payment to your landlord, to ensure that it meets the required standards. The landlord is also required to produce a tax clearance certificate within 5 months.

Probably doesnt want an inspection. If taking RS/RA tax may not be an issue.

If joining HAP locks them into the system for a period then you could stop paying your little top ups and the LL would be stuck. Most LLs won't leave themselves vulnerable like that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement