Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Subsystem for Windows is this the end?

Options
  • 10-05-2016 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

So I saw video last night for feature in Windows 10 call like Linux subsystem for Windows it was a basically Ubuntu in command line mode on Windows no vm they able to run bash and apt-get.Will this end up making Linux and can't belive what going to say obsolete as dose it matter to some who in the terminal all day bash is bash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Cygwin didn't kill Linux and I don't believe this will either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

From my reading this is aimed at the developer market to try win back some market share from apple.

You aren't going to run your production web server etc on this so the core Linux server won't be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Hardly the end of Linux. Will just make life easier for those of us stuck with Windows laptops a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Cygwin didn't kill Linux and I don't believe this will either

Nope it didn't and what's more it is incredibly handy particularly if working between multiple environments. When I change a work laptop it is one of the first things that I notice that I miss from my previous one, and do a fresh install and pop it's install location into the system path.

I think the question posed in this thread should be "is this the end of Windows now that linux functionality is coming native to the platform" (the answer to which is of course - nope, are ye mad or wha!)

:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OSI wrote: »
    No, not even close.

Enterprise is where the money is, and no company is going to swap out hundreds of Linux servers for windows and 4 figure licenses per server just because windows finally has bash.
    Cygwin means windows users have been using bash for yonks.

df -h is so handy

Note you may have to run ddrescue as an admin if you want to do data recovery on partitions

• Advertisement
Advertisement