Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United v United (Farewell Upton Park or how I learned it's called the Boleyn Ground)

• 10-05-2016 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

With both teams trying to secure places in Europe for next season tensions will be high in London tonight.

A win will surely put Man United in the driving seat after a very strange season. However the Manchester club is currently third in the form table and have already beaten this West Ham team en route to the FA Cup final.

Tonight will be West Hams final game in Upton Park and will want to say farewell with a win.

Expect the atmosphere to be electric and a highly contested game.

West Ham just shade it for me with Martial being absent for United.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Tough game for both teams can see a draw.

Also when did boleyn ground ever become a thing have never heard it at all till a few weeks ago now everyone is calling it that. Always been Upton park from any commentator ive heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sky88 wrote: »
    Always been Upton park from any commentator ive heard.

Same as that for me.

West Ham will be dangerous next year in the league with the extra money from the new stadium and their ridiculous low rent on it.

I can see them keeping most of their players this summer and spending big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

OMG!!! A Liverpool fan starting a United match thread, what an outrage. Let's whinge about it for 5 pages, then boycott it and start numerous others.
    Oh no wait, I'm not 12 and it makes absolutely no difference who starts it.

OMG!!! A Liverpool fan starting a United match thread, what an outrage. Let's whinge about it for 5 pages, then boycott it and start numerous others.

We got a win when you did ours so I'm returning the favour.

Personally I'd like to see United and Liverpool make it to the CL next year. (Although it's a though ask for both teams)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

United to win a tight game with Valencia making the difference!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

emmetkenny wrote: »
    We got a win when you did ours so I'm returning the favour.

Personally I'd like to see United and Liverpool make it to the CL next year. (Although it's a though ask for both teams)

There is no favour to return, Liverpool won the game not the thread I started, oh and i suspect you are lying about the second part ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Play like we did on Saturday and we'll be beaten out the gate. Hopefully we'll see a reaction. Would be devastating to lose our last two home games.
    Antonio simply can't be right back anymore and Moses can't be near the team anymore. Three of Saturday's goals came from their side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Draw.

Love to beat them though

Especially for their pathetic carry on in 1995 and the 1998 match here.

I hold that grudge still

There is no favour to return, Liverpool won the game not the thread I started, oh and i suspect you are lying about the second part ;)

Nope not lying at all. Would like to see City drop out, especially after the walk out before the Pellegrini farewell the weekend. Fans like that don't deserve to be in the CL (PS not saying all the City fans are like that) let alone the fact they can't fill their stadium on a CL night.

Also when did boleyn ground ever become a thing have never heard it at all till a few weeks ago now everyone is calling it that. Always been Upton park from any commentator ive heard.
    The official name has long been The Boleyn Ground. It's located in Upton Park.

• Advertisement

The official name has long been The Boleyn Ground. It's located in Upton Park.

I just read yesterday that WH have already sold 50000 season tickets for next year for the new ground.

That is a serious boost right there.

Exciting times for the Hammers !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Looking forward to this one. West Ham looking good on paper with a few key elbows out for Man Utd, but thinking either a score draw or Utd by one.

I'm quite surprised at how many fans were unaware of the actual name of the stadium, usually called it/heard it called 'the Boleyn' in person. Maybe my mates are just weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

The constant news coverage of West Ham leaving their ground has become really tiresome the past week, can't wait till it's done with.

Draw.

Love to beat them though

Especially for their pathetic carry on in 1995 and the 1998 match here.

I hold that grudge still

Ah Kew!!
    Come on ta **** Utd!

Expecting a big turn out of "West Ham" fans tonight with Stealth suits on. Should be fun.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ah Kew!!
    Come on ta **** Utd!

Expecting a big turn out of "West Ham" fans tonight. Should be fun.

He fell off the 'Positivity Tractor' and banged his head :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yes people like this deserve to be referred to as kids in posts

West Ham will put City back in the driving seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ah Kew!!
    Come on ta **** Utd!

Expecting a big turn out of "West Ham" fans tonight with Stealth suits on. Should be fun.

I see one is using the "Elbow" already ;)

More than 6 hours to kickoff and it's already turned into a Man U v Liverpool thread. Wonderful!
    Seriously lads, can ye not give it a rest?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Giggernaut

Sky are doing their damnedest to have every West Ham fan and WH player hyped for tonight.

Its going to be very tough.Wish we had Fellaini available and Rojo is dropped.

Looking forward to it all the same!

Martial looks like he is unavailable not 100% but unlikely :(

“I cannot say that (he will come back) as we have to wait,” he added.

“We have to wait if his muscle is still tight as I don’t take any risks as he is a very important player. We don’t want a rupture. That is very important for us.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

More than 6 hours to kickoff and it's already turned into a Man U v Liverpool thread. Wonderful!

Yeah come on lads it's West Ham's big day show them the respect of directing the bile in their direction.

Booo West Ham are ****e! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

it's boards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Should be a good game, United will miss Fellaini for this type of game. He was the difference in the cup tie a few weeks back.

West Ham will be well up for this but were poor at the weekend, I'd back the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Triple captianed Martial for the double game week.........bas*ard. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Fecking working so it'll be watching this on a sneaky stream on my phone. Hopefully we'll (the real United :)) get the win that will really put us in the driving seat for cl.

Not overly confident about this but that's no harm considering my record of being confident for games.

Martial a big loss but Rashford had a wee rest so may hit another burst of form. Rooney needs to do it tonight though, he's the only one with genuine fight in the team without elbows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

When did they start calling it the Boleyn Groud? Only heard it in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

mansize wrote: »
    When did they start calling it the Boleyn Groud? Only heard it in the last few years

I think they sold the naming rights to some Chinese sportswear counterfeiters Boleyn Sports. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

mansize wrote: »

It's always been the Boleyn Ground. Upton Park is just the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The official name of the ground is The Boleyn Ground at Upton Park, just because commentators can't be arsed getting it right doesn't mean anything.

Any true Hammer knows it as The Boleyn Ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've never heard the words Boleyn Ground in my life

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I just read yesterday that WH have already sold 50000 season tickets for next year for the new ground.

That is a serious boost right there.

Exciting times for the Hammers !!

52,000 !!!:D
    klose wrote: »
    The constant news coverage of West Ham leaving their ground has become really tiresome the past week, can't wait till it's done with.

Some football fan you are, it's 112 years of footballing history for christs sake, every team in England has probably played there over that time.

Imagine if it was Liverpool or Man Utd, we have it shovelled down our throat for months never mind the past week

Really? That's shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't mind the coverage of it. If I was a team in the same tier as West Ham I'd be fairly pissed off about the deal they got for the Olympic Stadium though. That's going to push them into serious contenders.

Jayop wrote: »
    I don't mind the coverage of it. If I was a team in the same tier as West Ham I'd be fairly pissed off about the deal they got for the Olympic Stadium though. That's going to push them into serious contenders.

Why so about the deal? no one else seriously wanted it. The british taxpayer is getting a good deal from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You know nothing John Snow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Neither had I. Although I've heard it about 500 times in the past month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

It seems the closer it's come to the last game there that the media have been calling it the Boleyn Ground more and more. It has always been reported as Upton Park on Sky Sports etc over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm another one who never heard of that name either til last month

Glad I'm not the only one

Johner wrote: »
    It seems the closer it's come to the last game there that the media have been calling it the Boleyn Ground more and more. It has always been reported as Upton Park on Sky Sports etc over the years.

It sure has, by the media, not by United fans.

Remember there is no benefit to West Ham United to all of a sudden insist on calling it The Boleyn Ground, that's always been the official name, blame the meejah.

Stadium

Address: West Ham United, Boleyn Ground, Green Street, Upton Park, London E13 9AZ
    Tel: +44 (0) 20 8548 2748

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

It has mostly been called Upton Park but I've heard commentators, especially on MOTD call it the Boleyn Ground since I can remember. It's mind boggling that there are English league fans who didn't know that.

Anyway I think we might see Martial on the bench tonight even though by the sounds of the injury it would be stupid and irresponsible to risk playing him. Muscle injuries don't go away in 3 days in my experience, even the slightest strains. I think I'd like to see Rashford leading the line with Lingaard, Mata and Valencia supporting him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Michael Carrick to knock in the winner in the last few minutes against his old club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

It has mostly been called Upton Park but I've heard commentators, especially on MOTD call it the Boleyn Ground since I can remember. It's mind boggling that there are English league fans who didn't know that.

Anyway I think we might see Martial on the bench tonight even though by the sounds of the injury it would be stupid and irresponsible to risk playing him. Muscle injuries don't go away in 3 days in my experience, even the slightest strains. I think I'd like to see Rashford leading the line with Lingaard, Mata and Valencia supporting him.

I don't think the West Ham defenders shins could handle both Lingard and Valencia in the same team. The more I look at those 4 players the more confused I am actually. Do you want United to win?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I've never heard of Upton Park before.

4-1 to the Hammers.

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't think the West Ham defenders shins could handle both Lingard and Valencia in the same team. The more I look at those 4 players the more confused I am actually. Do you want United to win?

United home win, get in there ;) !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Wasnt there rumours on Facebook that West Ham were changing the colour of the pitch to claret?

http://lebuzz.eurosport.co.uk/viral/west-ham-reveal-claret-and-blue-pitch-for-game-against-leicester-1710/

Obviously a hoax.

Maybe you could suggest an alternative. I think on the basis of the last few months Lingaard, Rashford and Mata will play. All I'm really doing is moving Mata and Valencia into their more natural positions. You could argue without Fellaini and Rooney in attack that Valencia is ineffective. But we're playing West Ham, not Aston Villa. Valencia is a solid performer and combined with Fosu-Mensah on the right will be an attcking threat and importantly counter the threat of Payet more effectively than a Valencia/Mata combination.

But I'm open to your arguments...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Neither had I. Although I've heard it about 500 times in the past month.

Likewise. Just seen this tweet which sums it up.

https://twitter.com/sportingintel/status/730076817143562240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Maybe you could suggest an alternative. I think on the basis of the last few months Lingaard, Rashford and Mata will play. All I'm really doing is moving Mata and Valencia into their more natural positions. You could argue without Fellaini and Rooney in attack that Valencia is ineffective. But we're playing West Ham, not Aston Villa. Valencia is a solid performer and combined with Fosu-Mensah on the right will be an attcking threat and importantly counter the threat of Payet more effectively than a Valencia/Mata combination.

But I'm open to your arguments...
    What's wrong with Rooney? I'd rather Rashford on either wing over Valencia or Lingard too. My 4 that aren't going to be selcted would be Rooney up front with Mata behind and Memphis and Rashford as the wide forwards. I'd say it'll be Lingard in for Mata or Rashford though.

What's wrong with Rooney? I'd rather Rashford on either wing over Valencia or Lingard too. My 4 that aren't going to be selcted would be Rooney up front with Mata behind and Memphis and Rashford as the wide forwards. I'd say it'll be Lingard in for Mata or Rashford though.

Yeah Rooney up top is fair enough. I was thinking he'll play in midfield but in that case I'd leave Rashford on the bench to make an impact later. Can't see an argument for starting Depay. I think he'll come good for United but not this season, and not tonight. Lingard and Rashford are good at linking up in and around the box which I see as our best chance of creating chances. I think putting Valencia or FM up against Payet without support is asking for trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

• Advertisement
Advertisement