Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United v United (Farewell Upton Park or how I learned it's called the Boleyn Ground)

Comments

FatherTed wrote: »
    Really?

West Ham co-Chairman David Sullivan speaking to 5 live: "It is depressing really, it will be a late night for our fans and some of them won't be able to stay. I don't understand why United couldn't get here at 4pm. They could have got here early. They knew it would be busy. It's crazy.

"There was congestion in the street and they couldn't get the coach in. There were people around the coach, but there was no attack on the coach.

"If you check the coach there won't be any damage to it.

Er, right David...........

https://twitter.com/ThePLZone/status/730104848042086402

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jayop wrote: »
    "The coach stopped around 100 yards or so from the ground, and they were hemmed in by West Ham United fans. "

When you're 100m from the ground on time and your bus is blocked and attacked it isn't your fault.

The should have been there long before the crowd built up. They know this yet they done it anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Big Louis does not seem too bothered. I'd say he would batter the bollox off half of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

NO.

If you're 100m from the ground well over an hour before the game you're not late. Stop trying to spread the blame here when it absolutely all lies with West Ham fans.
    Since when is 45 minutes well over an hour???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Dempsey wrote: »
    The should have been there long before the crowd built up. They know this yet they done it anyways.

Unreal.

Would you victim blame in the case of other assaults or is it just when team buses are attacked?

It's absolutely unreal how some of you will try to justify anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

As long as there's no trouble in the ground, there won't be any fine. West Ham can't be expected to police outside the ground, can they? Chelsea didn't get a fine for their fans' racist behaviour in Paris.

West Ham were fined £115,000 before for trouble what happened outside their ground and inside it in 2009.

Since when is 45 minutes well over an hour???

Well considering they arrived at before 7.12pm after over half hour of delay that would be well over an hour....no?

@Dempsey just for your information....
    For all those calling us a shambles for being late and saying it's our fault:

https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/730110020873027584

https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/730110020873027584

That United's fault too I guess??

Unreal.

Would you victim blame in the case of other assaults or is it just when team buses are attacked?

Its not justifying it but sometimes you need to use common sense, I mean if you walked down there wearing your united jersey and you got a box in the head. People would say your a clown for doing that.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its not justifying it but sometimes you need to use common sense, I mean if you walked down there wearing your united jersey and you got a box in the head. People would say your a clown for doing that.

She was asking for it.....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Unreal.

Oh get off your high horse.

If you walked into a situation where you know, for a fact, that just even your presence is a security risk to yourself and the people you are with. Do you go in expecting nothing to happen? Are you that much of an idiot?

The mounted police are just there for the craic I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

A friend of mine was a salesman for West Ham's sponsors in the early 90's , he won a sales competition and an invitation to the West Ham director's box along with the sponsor's owners and their wives and various other West Ham dignitaries.
    The game was against his favourite team QPR and fuelled by the copious amounts of free champagne he couldn't contain himself as when QPR's third goal went in he stood up and roared 'get in you f***ing beauty' to much tut,tutting. He didn't last much longer with said firm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

So much anti-United butthurt in this thread, nice to see how upset this club makes people. :D

Im not surprised at all by the behavior of the West Ham fans, surprised there wasnt a serious injury though going by all those glass bottles being thrown around.

Oh well, enough of these cry-babies in the thread and back to the game. COME ON UNITED!!!

If you walked into a situation where you know, for a fact, that just even your presence is a security risk to yourself and the people you are with. Do you go in expecting nothing to happen? Are you that much of an idiot?

Do you think that most teams arrive at the ground hours before a game typically?

Honestly mate, you're having a mare here all though. No retraction on the comments you made about the Spurs game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

NO.

If you're 100m from the ground well over an hour before the game you're not late. Stop trying to spread the blame here when it absolutely all lies with West Ham fans.

erm...they have a 90 min routine at the ground. Turning up 100m from the ground an hour before kick is late. Again...WHU left early enough on their coach to get there on time despite it also taking them an hour to travel the last 100m. A bit of common sense goes a long way but let's not let that get in the way.

NOT condoning what happened but they should have left earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Our fans are nicer than your fans.

Xenji wrote: »
    West Ham were fined £115,000 before for trouble what happened outside their ground and inside it in 2009.
    Inside being the key word. A club can't be charged for something that happens outside their grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

The mounted police are just there for the craic I suppose?

Utter ****e! Do you think united just decide the route to grounds without any consultation or direction from police?

Ludo wrote: »
    erm...they have a 90 min routine at the ground. Turning up 100m from the ground an hour before kick is late. Again...WHU left early enough on their coach to get there on time despite it also taking them an hour to travel the last 100m. A bit of common sense goes a long way but let's not let that get in the way.

Not condoning, just justifying.

Ludo wrote: »

So the west ham fans only attacked the bus because it was late?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Inside being the key word. A club can't be charged for something that happens outside their grounds.

Henry Winter ‏@henrywinter 10m10 minutes ago FA to investigate incidents outside Upton Park when #mufc bus was hit by bottles.

Do you think that most teams arrive at the ground hours before a game typically?

Honestly mate, you're having a mare here all though. No retraction on the comments you made about the Spurs game?

They arrive more than an hour before KO, often earlier when its a match like this. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows this.

As for the comparison to sexual assaults/rape, get a grip of yourself. You sound like Helen Lovejoy! :pac:

So a few bottles were thrown at a bus, its hardly the end of the world.

Our fans are nicer than your fans.

Our drivers are better than your drivers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There's absolutely no way there won't be a pitch invasion after, looking at earlier events things could get ugly if West Ham lose

Not condoning, just justifying.

Nope...not justifying throwing things at the bus at all. If I implied that I apologise. I didnt mean to. Just saying they were late due to an unprofessional preparation. Not due to things being thrown. WHU bus equally blocked and delayed but they had left early enough to arrive on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Our drivers are better than your drivers!

Our players are better than your players :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

They arrive more than an hour before KO, often earlier when its a match like this. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows this.

Just sayin..delete your account mate :pac:

URLurl]https://twitter.com/SamWallaceTel/status/730114670711943169[/url[/URL]

So the west ham fans only attacked the bus because it was late?
    Why on earth are you putting words in his mouth? That's not what he said but you know that, don't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

really hope that was the end of the trouble and its football and goodbyes from now on,fcuk that fan stupidity ,heaps of them cheering and videoing,sickening ****e for kids to see

As for the comparison to sexual assaults/rape, get a grip of yourself. You sound like Helen Lovejoy! :pac:

Sorry there bub remind me what was the last event like this that uk police and united could use a prior experience?

You are trying to justify something that could not have been predicted (a mass public disorder outside the ground) and trying to blame a football club who would have made agreement with the London Met about their travel arrangements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I really hate Tony Gale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

West Ham fans are just being misunderstood, all they're doing is christening the bus for good luck, doing it several times just indicates the high spirits that Hammers fans are in, nothing untoward happening at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

There's absolutely no way there won't be a pitch invasion after, looking at earlier events things could get ugly if West Ham lose

I'd say there will be one win or loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Disgraceful behaviour from West Ham fans. Would love it if United, for safety reasons, refused to play tonight. If I were a United player and a group of fans were throwing bottles at me on a bus, I doubt I'd be too keen to get off that bus. Would serve West Ham right for the last game at Upton Pk to be abandoned because of their own scummy behaviour

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Disgraceful behaviour from West Ham fans. Would love it if United, for safety reasons, refused to play tonight. Would serve West Ham right for the last game at Upton Pk to be abandoned because of their own scummy behaviour
    Easy three points for us then :rolleyes:

Why on earth are you putting words in his mouth? That's not what he said but you know that, don't you?

See that thing at the end of the sentence looked like this "?" its called a question mark and it magically turns anything that precedes it into a question in the english language. :rolleyes:

What time is kick off expected?

really hope that was the end of the trouble and its football and goodbyes from now on,fcuk that fan stupidity ,heaps of them cheering and videoing,sickening ****e for kids to see

^^ THIS ^^

Disgraceful behaviour from West Ham fans. Would love it if United, for safety reasons, refused to play tonight. Would serve West Ham right for the last game at Upton Pk to be abandoned because of their own scummy behaviour

West Ham would be given 3 points surely?

Is it unsafe on the pitch?

• Advertisement

What time is kick off expected?

It's all kicking off now.....

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Shall we talk about the match now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

:confused: what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Now to burst West Ham's bubble.

Aidric wrote: »
    Just sayin..delete your account mate :pac:

URLurl]https://twitter.com/SamWallaceTel/status/730114670711943169[/url[/URL]

Fairly sure this match is different, considering a) its a midweek game b) last match at the stadium c) traffic problems hours before kick off. 10 minutes earlier, lol. Its a mystery how they got caught up in it all! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

niallo27 wrote: »
    So a few bottles were thrown at a bus, its hardly the end of the world.

Liverpool fan Condoning crowed violence sure you couldn't make it up lol.

Victim blamers gunna victim blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Some start from West Ham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    West Ham would be given 3 points surely?

Is it unsafe on the pitch?

I don't know. But when the only thing protecting you from a load of glass bottles and cans been thrown at you is a bus, I can understand how someone may not fancy getting off that bus.

Granted, the ground is heavily policed but so too was the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

jayo26 wrote: »
    Liverpool fan Condoning crowed violence sure you couldn't make it up lol.

Oh Jesus. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement