Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best town in Ireland to live in

Options
  • 10-05-2016 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

There have been a lot of posts about the worst town, how about the best town. To my mind it would have to be Howth, Dublin. Beautiful scenery, great transport and lovely pubs and restaurants.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'll give Clontarf a vote, love living there and, had I the money, would definitely be looking to buy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Greystones its got everything including a dart, downside is it is very expensive. I like Skerries and around there as well but don't like the transport options plus from what I have observed the traffic from Clontarf on wards on the north-side is horrendous and getting worse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends what your priorities are.
    Maynooth is a great family town,near Dublin but also beside the countryside.
    It has restaurants,pubs,schools and everything that you could want.

If being near town is important then Clontarf or Grand Canal Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Agree with Clonakility and Kenmare for sure.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    It depends what your priorities are.
    Maynooth is a great family town,near Dublin but also beside the countryside.
    It has restaurants,pubs,schools and everything that you could want.

If being near town is important then Clontarf or Grand Canal Dock.

I have never been to Maynooth, must pay it a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I have never been to Maynooth, must pay it a visit.

Take a trip over to Castletown House when you're out that direction, I was up there last night for a run, it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

As far as Dublin goes, Ranelagh is a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Citroen2cv

Belturbet

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I only discovered Castletown a weeks ago and then about 2 weeks ago discovered how huge the place is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Agree with Moonbeam - Maynooth is a great place to live.

It still has a village feel with a strong sense of community despite being one of the most desirable locations along the western commuter belt. It has excellent transport links (well served by train and bus), and a very good selection of restaurants and some nice pubs. The university adds an extra dimension to the place - busy during term, but quiet in summer. The town has a vibrant GAA club, North Kildare offers a wide selection of sports (rugby, cricket, hockey, tennis, even American football) and Carton House is a great spot for a round of golf. Throw in the Castle, the Canal and the old university campus and there's no shortage of walking options either. Finally, my favourite is the cycle from Maynooth out the Moyglare Rd, past the stud farm and round the back roads to Kilcock - a great way to spend a Sunday morning (after Mass!!)...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Cork

Cork

That's interesting, do you mean Cork city?

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    Belturbet

What do you really like about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

mariaalice wrote: »
    Greystones its got everything including a dart, downside is it is very expensive. I like Skerries and around there as well but don't like the transport options plus from what I have observed the traffic from Clontarf on wards on the north-side is horrendous and getting worse.

In regards to Skerries what do you mean? I live a little further north in Balbriggan but with Skerries you have:

Regular trains into town
    Dublin bus
    Bus Eireann
    You have access to the M1
    The old Dundalk road, the R132 is close by as well

I'd have thought it had excellent transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CorkonianBoy

I think it depends on how you define best? Best for beauty, best for work, best for convenience, best people?

My favorite towns are Killarney, Kinsale and Killorglin all for different reasons (although they all start with a K).

Kinsale for example is beautiful but also very accessible to Cork City, Cork Airport and the high tech jobs nearby so it works well on many levels. Any other towns like that come to mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Damadman

All the above are great but don't have the "Crosshaven Factor". Crosshaven is the best town in Ireland to live bar none. :)

I like Crosshaven but why do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Damadman

Because I live there

Good reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd love to live in either Malahide Bray or Greystones.

Failing that I'd make do with either killiney or Dalkey

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Live in Dublin and so for me its got to be Malahide ,coastal , great little village with nice bars cafes and restaurants, close to the beach in Portmarnock , it has a Castle , huge Park and an avoca , the Dart and it's where the Irish Cricket Internationals are often played. Close to Swords too for the Cinema , shopping and Nightlife, Ideal spot.

If i was to ever venture outside the City again think the only places id consider going are Galway or Kilarney too class places.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I'd love to live in either Malahide Bray or Greystones.

Failing that I'd make do with either killiney or Dalkey

Jesus Bray is an awful kip. Killiney or Dalkey rank far higher than it

Live in Dublin and so for me its got to be Malahide ,coastal , great little village with nice bars cafes and restaurants, close to the beach in Portmarnock , it has a Castle , huge Park and an avoca , the Dart and it's where the Irish Cricket Internationals are often played. Close to Swords too for the Cinema , shopping and Nightlife, Ideal spot.

If i was to ever venture outside the City again think the only places id consider going are Galway or Kilarney too class places.

Have to agree Malahide is a terrific place, wish I had the money to live there!

I think it depends on how you define best? Best for beauty, best for work, best for convenience, best people?

My favorite towns are Killarney, Kinsale and Killorglin all for different reasons (although they all start with a K).

Kinsale for example is beautiful but also very accessible to Cork City, Cork Airport and the high tech jobs nearby so it works well on many levels. Any other towns like that come to mind?

You are kidding me.... .KILLORGLIN..... no way! Why on earth is it one of your favourite towns... please tell me.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Just because it would disappoint Athtrasna if I didn't say it - Kilbarrack.

Closer to town than Howth/Malahide but close to the Sea and a nice park down the road. Working class area (I can't stand snobs) with nice polite kids and a sense of community. It's one of the last bastions of, affordable, decent sized houses in Dublin at the moment although that's changing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I grew up in Killarney and really do think it's a great place to live in. The scenery is amazing, loads of places to go for walks. Not too far from the beach. Nice little town too. Touristy, yes. You get used to it though. Down here now actually. Would love to settle down here but not easy to get find well paid work.

I live in Cork City at the moment and if I were to move somewhere else in Cork it would probably be Kinsale. Very expensive though! I also like Blackrock. Again, expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Malahide!

Just because it would disappoint Athtrasna if I didn't say it - Kilbarrack.

Closer to town than Howth/Malahide but close to the Sea and a nice park down the road. Working class area (I can't stand snobs) with nice polite kids and a sense of community. It's one of the last bastions of, affordable, decent sized houses in Dublin at the moment although that's changing now.

I agree, I like Kilbarrack, has lots to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The best town is surely the one that suits you and your needs. Schools will never be on my radar as there won't be kids in my future yet they could be first priority for someone else. I like living in a built up area as it makes be feel safer but some people prefer isolation and quiet, and so on.

Don't think there's a one size fits all best town.

Advertisement