Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a 980ti worth it now?

Options
  • 10-05-2016 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Just sold my 970 and was thinking of getting the 1080 but not to fond of the blower style cooler on the founders edition.After market coolers could be a bit away so also.Those ideas have swayed me back to a 980ti especially at the price they're selling for now.They are shifting for 500 at least on adverts.Would it still be a viable investment today?
    Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

I'd wait until the 1070 models are released. If the Founder's edition retails at €500 and meets or exceeds the 980ti then their 2nd hand prices should drop to €400-€450.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Personally I think you'd be mad to get a 980ti with the new cards just around the corner. Even if the real world performance isn't what nvidia claim it will surely have an affect on their price, which can only go down from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Why the founder's edition specifically? The partners' cards should be cheaper, and better cooled. At this point the founder cards are more akin to how we think of the Nexus line: Premium materials, and you pay the extra for getting it exactly as the designers intended.

Also, with the 1070 MSRP at $379, I'd imagine that to come out at about €399 here, shouldn't be anywhere near €500*.

NVIDIA have set an interesting precident with this though. With the founder card being $100 more than MSRP, we could get into a situation where MSRP is now "Minimum Recommended Retail Price". It could happen that partners release their stock (non-ref) cards for MSRP+$50, which would still be less than founder. So you get people going "Well, I could pay $50 less and get an awesome cooler, let's do that!" and on the surface it would seem to still be good value.
    tl;dr - worried about price creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭callumsdad

Thanks guys.I think I'll wait so fek it:)

Serephucus wrote: »
    Why the founder's edition specifically? The partners' cards should be cheaper, and better cooled. At this point the founder cards are more akin to how we think of the Nexus line: Premium materials, and you pay the extra for getting it exactly as the designers intended.

Also, with the 1070 MSRP at $379, I'd imagine that to come out at about €399 here, shouldn't be anywhere near €500*.
    Founder's edition specifically because that's the one which Nvidia have said is made with the highly-binned "great overclocking" chips - the 1070 Founder's MSRP is $449. Maybe I'm jaded for thinking they'll tack on an extra 50 when converting to Euro?

Maybe the standard chip can be overclocked a good bit too but for now with no benchmarks to go on the Founder's edition is the baseline to compare it to. If the partner cards measure up well obviously that'll drop the price presuming they're lower-priced.

• Advertisement

grindle wrote: »
    Founder's edition specifically because that's the one which Nvidia have said is made with the highly-binned "great overclocking" chips - the 1070 Founder's MSRP is $449. Maybe I'm jaded for thinking they'll tack on an extra 50 when converting to Euro?

Maybe the standard chip can be overclocked a good bit too but for now with no benchmarks to go on the Founder's edition is the baseline to compare it to. If the partner cards measure up well obviously that'll drop the price presuming they're lower-priced.

No! That's exactly what the founder's card isn't. This confused a lot of people initially. It's just reference. No overclock, no binned chips. The only thing you're paying for is the nice cooler.

The reason it's not priced lower is because NVIDIA doesn't want to directly compete with board partners (and subsequently piss them off) so they're priced that big higher.

Serephucus wrote: »
    No! That's exactly what the founder's card isn't. This confused a lot of people initially. It's just reference. No overclock, no binned chips. The only thing you're paying for is the nice cooler.

The reason it's not priced lower is because NVIDIA doesn't want to directly compete with board partners (and subsequently piss them off) so they're priced that big higher.
    Ohhhh! Thanks. Haven't been on the web too much the past couple of days.
    So... An extra $70 for a manky cooler. Interesting decision.
    That brings the 980ti's price right down if they all have this stupid-high overclockability.

That brings the 980ti's price right down if they all have this stupid-high overclockability.

Exactly. ;)

JayzTwoCents - What is the GTX1080 and GTX1070 Founders Edition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ0AoYSH01g

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd wait until the 1070 models are released. If the Founder's edition retails at €500 and meets or exceeds the 980ti then their 2nd hand prices should drop to €400-€450.

Nvidia have already come out and said a 1070 is better than a titan X, founders edition supposedly $449 on release with normal MSRP of $379. Literally no point buying a 980ti unless prices drop to sub 300.

• Advertisement

Nvidia have already come out and said a 1070 is better than a titan X, founders edition supposedly $449 on release with normal MSRP of $379. Literally no point buying a 980ti unless prices drop to sub 300.
    Better than titan x at vr maybe.Maybe limited overclocking the 1070 compared to the 1080.We need benchmarks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

callumsdad wrote: »
    Better than titan x at vr maybe.Maybe limited overclocking the 1070 compared to the 1080.We need benchmarks:)

Yeah all the talk about beating 980's in SLI and Titan X's is in VR from what I'v read due to the new tech which makes sense as leaked benchmarks show the 1080 being 12-15% faster than a Fury X.

Nda lifted the 17th.We shall get some benchmarks then.

Advertisement