Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato plant

Options
  • 10-05-2016 11:03am

Someone gave me this tomato plant as a seedling and I have been letting it grow in the house

I don't know the variety I was wondering was it a compact one or one that grows tall. It is beginning to flower so does mean it's finished growing?

I am about to put it in a bigger pot and support it and I was thinking maybe it has started to flower because the pot was to small (8 inch)

I have only watered it so far and I haven't given it any fertiliser. So a bigger pot,support and fertiliser. What do you think? Will it grow any taller than 3.5 feet

Comments

The photo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Youre doing well so far :D tomatoes floer sprys come out internodally on the plant, between the leaves on the stem.

yes pot it on to a bigger pot, with a handful of chicken manure near the bottom of the pot. I generally then only liquid feed a few times after that adding a liquid seaweed to the feed to bolster the plant.
    Put a tray under the pot so you will always know when the plant needs watering, ie water from the bottom.
    Pinch off any side shoots, and use a cane to help the plant stay upright. Dont put the ties too tight to allow for growth of the stem.

usually let the plant get up to about 5 flowering trusses and then pinch out the plant a leaf or two higher than that. continue to remove any side shoots, this allows the plant to focus its energy on fruit production.

Thanks. What capacity pot do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Oldtree wrote: »
    Youre doing well so far :D tomatoes floer sprys come out internodally on the plant, between the leaves on the stem.

yes pot it on to a bigger pot, with a handful of chicken manure near the bottom of the pot. I generally then only liquid feed a few times after that adding a liquid seaweed to the feed to bolster the plant.
    Put a tray under the pot so you will always know when the plant needs watering, ie water from the bottom.
    Pinch off any side shoots, and use a cane to help the plant stay upright. Dont put the ties too tight to allow for growth of the stem.

usually let the plant get up to about 5 flowering trusses and then pinch out the plant a leaf or two higher than that. continue to remove any side shoots, this allows the plant to focus its energy on fruit production.

how often do you "pot on" toms grown from seed? I normally start them off in a very small pot, then double it up before the final size. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I usually start the tomato seeds, each one in a 3 inch pot in the propagator, then transfer to a south facing windowsill with a tray underneath.

I then transfer them to a 20L pot when 4-5 inches tall, and there they stay for the summer. (with a large tray underneath). I always feel that the tomato plants are a bit brittle to keep potting up.

Seems to work well for me and its what i usually do for all the rest too, cucumbers, courgettes, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

how often do you "pot on" toms grown from seed? I normally start them off in a very small pot, then double it up before the final size. Is that right?

I either use the seed trays or compostable pots, replant into 5 inch pot and then replant into at least 12 inch pot.

When I replant into the 12 inch pot I add some coffee grounds to the compost to give them a boost.

Agree with the watering from the bottom and I fertilise from the top once the third truss has set.

Also handle the plant by the leaves rather than the stem to avoid breaking/damaging stem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

TheTorment wrote: »
    Also handle the plant by the leaves rather than the stem to avoid breaking/damaging stem

And use a knife to gently prise the roots out if there isn't a strong root base which brings the compost/ soil with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

My tomatoes in green house are not looking the best - some bad leaves on plants and very few flowers. See attached photos + photo of food I'm giving every 2/3 days. I put 3 cap lid full of food into watering can to feed them. Any advice much appreciated. They are planted in peat bags.

attached

• Advertisement

tomotaoes

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mfwic_47

Hi. Where do I find help on cucumbers? I have 12 plants in a polytunnel and the are all in varying stage of production. ( of then are of a pickling variety and some of the fruit is showing a grayish fungal looking rot on the blossom end. I have been eliminating them as they are spotted, but I'll need to treat the plants with something.

Thanks anyone. Frank

Advertisement