Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 years renting and no lease

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

ShiddyArze wrote: »
    Why haven't Revenue chased him/her already? How would they know about such a thing unless informed

When we moved to the house in 2014, it had a prepay meter for electric and gas, we don't have a TV bill, we use free to air for TV. The only letters I get are from the bin collection. In fact, as we don't get any post im pretty sure revenue don't think I exist at the address. I didn't register to vote and all my car insurance etc goes to my family address in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ShiddyArze wrote: »
    Why haven't Revenue chased him/her already? How would they know about such a thing unless informed

When we moved to the house in 2014, it had a prepay meter for electric and gas, we don't have a TV bill, we use free to air for TV. The only letters I get are from the bin collection. In fact, as we don't get any post im pretty sure revenue don't think I exist at the address. I didn't register to vote and all my car insurance etc goes to my family address in Dublin.
    None of which Revenue necessarily uses to get address info. Where does your tax correspondence get sent? How do you get your P60 at the start of the year? Does work know where you live? I doubt they'd be able to tell you're renting from those either, but one definite method is through the PRTB. Your landlord would have (or at least should have) registered you with the PRTB and as part of that process passed on your PPSN. This information can be and is shared with Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭venomousfrog

TheChizler wrote: »
    None of which Revenue necessarily uses to get address info. Where does your tax correspondence get sent? How do you get your P60 at the start of the year? Does work know where you live?

I changed jobs in February 2015 and have been here since. I got a p60 from the previous company back in January just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Basically if you claim you didn't know of this obligation (or didnt know LL was abroad) you will not have to back pay if you give the landlords details & how much you've paid them & for how long etc & then the Landlord is assessed. I never heard of this until today & indeed it sounds crazy!
    Am glad LL didn't put rent up - in my experience as a LL a good tenant especially when you living far away is worth a hell of a lot more than an extra couple hundred a month.

Residential lettings
    In the case of residential lettings, tenants may not be aware of their
    obligation to deduct tax. This can occur either because the tenants are
    unaware that the landlord is resident abroad or because the tenants are
    unaware of the obligation to deduct tax when making payment to such
    a landlord.
    The following material is either exempt from or not required to be published under the
    Freedom of Information Act 2014.
    […]
    In this scenario, the tenant should be asked to provide the following
    details as regards the landlord:
     Name and address
     Details of the bank account into which rent is paid (name and
    address of the bank and the account number into which the
    payments are made)
     Details of the rents paid to the non-resident landlord for all years
    for which the landlord was resident abroad.
    An assessment can be entered on the landlord, at his or her foreign
    address, and where necessary powers of attachment under section 1002
    TCA 1997 can be used to enforce collection of the tax due.
    The tenant should be advised to deduct tax from all future
    payments to.

Remember Revenue will chase you for the tax if it's not paid.

How can they prove the op knew the LL was abroad?
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Where does your tax correspondence get sent? How do you get your P60 at the start of the year? Does work know where you live? .

For example all my tax correspondence etc (along with bank accounts, phone bills) etc etc are all addressed to my home house with isn't even in the same county as where I work and rent. The address work has for me is also my home place. Now I also have one or two things addressed where I live, car registered there purely as I need it to get a permit and a water bill but its not hard to see how someone could have nothing tying them to an address, I also have no lease with my name linked to the address and never gave my PPSN nor was the tenancy regsitered. Before I went to get a permit and before Irish water I had nothing addressed to my rental address. Not saying this as a way to do anything underhand just making the point that some don't have much/anything in their name at a rental address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

DSN wrote: »
    Basically if you claim you didn't know of this obligation (or didnt know LL was abroad) you will not have to back pay if you give the landlords details & how much you've paid them & for how long etc & then the Landlord is assessed. I never heard of this until today & indeed it sounds crazy!

Good to know. I hadn't heard of any cases where Revenue had actually chased the tenant. I presume the issue might arise if Revenue couldn't chase the landlord for some reason.

They even say: "Failure to deduct tax may leave you liable for the tax that should have been deducted."

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So the property isnt even registered with prtb? Ugh

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So the property isnt even registered with prtb? Ugh

I'd say there's a lot of them that aren't unless it's let through a bigger agency.

The reality is that in Ireland we complain about things like problem tenants and landlords, but are far too fond of doing things "on the side" if possible, which is what leads to those issues.

It's not just restricted to the rental sector either... everything in this country runs along the same lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Good to know. I hadn't heard of any cases where Revenue had actually chased the tenant. I presume the issue might arise if Revenue couldn't chase the landlord for some reason.

They even say: "Failure to deduct tax may leave you liable for the tax that should have been deducted."
    Read this.
    https://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/Publications/Annual-Reports/2009-Annual-Report/AnnualReport2009/chapter6.html#s2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

4ensic15 wrote: »
    and the usual some adults have the brain of a 12-year old excuse

• Advertisement
Advertisement