Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drysuit opinions

Options
  • 10-05-2016 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

Alright, I'm holding my hand up and admitting I'm getting soft. My 5mm wetsuit isn't warm enough for me in 17c water and I don't wish to shiver my way through the winter here in the Southern Hemisphere

I've been contemplating getting a dry suit and this ad caught my eye.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1079502367

Has anyone any experience of these? I'm a bloke and size wise it should fit me, but are these normal gender specific?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭yankinlk

A 10 year old dry suit is a 10 year old suit with 10 year old technology and does not age like fine wine either.

You. Would. Be. Mad. To pay more than 100 quid for it.

I'm not a fan of membrane suits at least not as a first timer trying out a dry suit but that is probably personal preference. Otter is a good brand I'm told altho not seen on slips as much as o3.

I paid 1600 euro money last year at the Irish dive show for a custom built suit with inner suit and had pockets etc added to my liking and design from o3.

If you saw a 2015 model 2nd hand for 750 euro in great nick...less than 10 dives I'd say go for it.

The only thing is if you are a standard shape and size you might find 2nd hand easy... if you are odd sized ... then you want custom built. An ill fitting suit is like throwing away money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Thanks very much for the reply.

Drysuits here are not that common esp 2nd hand. For the few months of winter that I'd wear one I cannot justify the $2k asking price for an off the shelf one.

Maybe I'll just wait until I visit home and bring it back with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭denismc

Yeah the otter is a good brand but even if its been sitting in a shed for years the latex seals will perish and will likely need replacing. You could ask to take it for a couple of dives to see how it is.
    I bought a new suit from these guys a few years back and I thought they were good value. Not sure how you would work out with the exchange rate and import duties though.
    http://www.seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Membrane-Drysuits.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

How often do you dive? If its only occasionally you might be as well just getting a better wetsuit.

Gets to 17° here in winter for about a month, I just about survived in an 8mm semidry. That's working full time as a dive guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

I dive 2 or 3 times a fortnight. Mostly shore based dives of about 60-80 mins

Gets down to about 14/15c afair here. I really feel the cold though. Have a fifth element 7mm semi dry (a total bastard to get into btw) but it just doesn't keep me warm. I especially notice if I do a double boat dive, it takes a lot to get me back in for the 2nd dive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

Also watch out for the seals. 10 years old and not been used in 5 years.... probably means it's been stored in a box and seals have not been looked after. If dry suits are not that common it may involve sending the suit away to get new seals if your not comfortable doing them yourself.

Advertisement