Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ark: Survival Evolved

Options
  • 10-05-2016 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

So has anyone been keeping up to date with the patches and new Map?
    I cant wait to check out The Center :D
    I also read that there is going to be some changes and overhaul to the Biomes.
    The Snow Biome is going to extend across the Northern Coast and a new Redwood Forest is being added.
    This game has pretty much taken over my life.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭gmg678

how much time needs to be invested in this game to get full benefit from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

Depends on how you are going to play it.
    I have been mainly on PvE and Single Player the odd time.
    I did go onto one of the Extinction servers with some friends but popped into the PvE to feed the Dino's.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I might come back for the Center map, the tribe I was in had dominated one of the servers to the point of it being pretty boring. I like the sound of the servers that reset every month. The last time I went back the frame rate issues were killing me though, I was used to them before but after not playing for a while it was hard to put up with it again.

Have a read of this!

New map drops on the 16th though the updates tend to get delayed a day or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭dor83

Decided to get this today, I'm liking it so far but I'm sure it will be frustrating for the first while until I learn things properly. I didn't realise you needed to go back to the same server to keep your character and was getting annoyed because I couldn't figure out how to get it back, maybe they should have the option in the menu to rejoin the last server or something. I only played it for a little bit so am sure I'll be dead when I go back but I don't mind so long as I still have my experience. What tips do you guys have for starting out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

dor83 wrote: »
    Decided to get this today, I'm liking it so far but I'm sure it will be frustrating for the first while until I learn things properly. I didn't realise you needed to go back to the same server to keep your character and was getting annoyed because I couldn't figure out how to get it back, maybe they should have the option in the menu to rejoin the last server or something. I only played it for a little bit so am sure I'll be dead when I go back but I don't mind so long as I still have my experience. What tips do you guys have for starting out?

Hide well and get to stone structures as soon as you can. They are so much better than wood and thatch is totally pointless (ultimate goal is metal but you need cementing paste with metal for structures). Stay away from beaches. Keep out of chat too as it just seems to draw the a##holes. Try get plant x seeds planted as well. They only go in large crop plots though but get a lot grown and they are good for defence

Thanks for the advice, I still haven't built anything yet because I'm just trying to concentrate on getting my level up so I don't die as soon as anything attacks me. I'm playing PvE, can people steal your stuff while you're away in that? I've only seen one other person so far and they had what looked like a robot T-Rex but he came over to me and dropped some meat, I think he wanted me to do something but I didn't know how to communicate, is it just text chat can you actually talk to people?

Oh OK I've never played pve myself but from what I have heard its a good place to learn and I believe you can't be attacked by other players or their tamed Dino's. I think it is just the environment that can hurt ya so the weather and wild Dino's etc. Harvesting resources and stuff also gets you xp jus at a kind of low rate so thatch and wood structures will build up the levels for ya. There is an app called arkepidia which is very helpful as well. I hope someone that plays pve can come on and confirm this???

Yeah it seems to be collecting and building stuff is getting my XP up, the main problem I have is that every time I try to rejoin a server it asks me to create a new survivor, how do I use the one I was using before? I wrote down the server I was in and tried to rejoin it but it still wants me to create a new character.

Yeah it seems to be collecting and building stuff is getting my XP up, the main problem I have is that every time I try to rejoin a server it asks me to create a new survivor, how do I use the one I was using before? I wrote down the server I was in and tried to rejoin it but it still wants me to create a new character.

Hmm that sounds strange. Have you built a bed? Because sleeping bags can only be used once for a respawn. Are you dying when you get offline?

• Advertisement

To be honest I'm not sure what's happening, I started another game a couple of hours ago and I can get back into it. I can't make a bed yet so I just made a small hut with no doors and locked myself in that to see if I'm still alive tomorrow when I get back to it, this server has been good in that I'm not getting killed as soon as I spawn so I'm hoping I'll still be alive. I take it if my character dies over night I just respawn without my items and I don't have to start again with a new one? Thanks again for the help.

When you start up to play on a server, go to the bottom left and change it to Bookmarked, any server you have played on is automatically bookmarked for you.
    Unlock the cloth hat, get fiber and churn out a ton of hats, it will help you level up quick enough.
    As soon as you can, unlock Mortar and Pestle and narcotics then start collecting meat to spoil and narcoberries.
    Use these to make narcotics, it will help you to level up and the drugs will come in handy for when your taming Dino's.
    Alot of PvE servers are friendly with many tribes willing to help you out with things.
    Just don't stick a foundation down on any areas that spawn metal or anything precious as you will quickly become hated 😉
    Tame Dodos, 1 male and a few female, put them together to have them mate boosted and collect the eggs they lay, you can use them to make kibble to tame a Pteranadon and Dolphin, the Pteranadon being the best one at the start as it will help you get around quicker.
    Download the Dododex app, it's handy for finding out how many hits with certain weapons it will take to knock out a dino and how much Kibble and narcotics it will need aLong with what's needed to make the kibble

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The last time I went back the frame rate issues were killing me though, I was used to them before but after not playing for a while it was hard to put up with it again.

They've not gone away.

In fact the server that we are all alpha on our base is so big now that if we enter it and get a lag spike at the same time we get kicked to the dashboard.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it can take up to 3-4 minutes to leave or enter the base , leaving you staring at a frozen game while waiting :(
    Alot of PvE servers are friendly with many tribes willing to help you out with things.

I'm well open to correction on this but going by reddit threads PvE is the most toxic of game modes in Ark. People trolling left right and centre by pillaring around bases and putting pipes EVERYWHERE in your base.

F**K that , PvP is the only way to play this game properly, so if someone tried that they are getting a couple of hundred rockets to the face in retaliation.

It all depends on the server.
    The one I am on has not had any major trouble, we had one guy build up on the Volcano but when it was explained to him that this destroys the metal spawn he tore it down.
    There is an "issue" with Pillar Spamming. Most do this to protect an area like the volcano because the pillars wont destroy the spawn and no one can build there thanks to them.
    Some use them to mark out their territory so that you dont have any unwanted neighbours and then there are those who do it to annoy the hell out of others so that they cant build anywhere.

I went into a PVP server looking to just kill people randomly but anytime I have come up against someone they end up giving me stuff before I even attack them and I'm like "Dude, this makes it hard for me to want to kill you :( "
    I will be joining a PVP server with some friends on the new map once it is released.

There is an "issue" with Pillar Spamming. Most do this to protect an area like the volcano because the pillars wont destroy the spawn and no one can build there thanks to them.

Some use them to mark out their territory so that you dont have any unwanted neighbours and then there are those who do it to annoy the hell out of others so that they cant build anywhere.

Or the spamming pillars close together to encircle a base so none of the dinos can leave and do meat runs and stuff.

PvP is hard but its great fun, with the thrown in element of politics that really do matter and people sort stuff out (because PvE you cant be completely and utterly wiped from existence like PvP).

Course every now and again someone pushes the nuclear button and all hell breaks loose but that is what makes it even more fun :) I've had people SOOOO salty we wiped them for them being idiots that they have hung around and spent hours in the server with literally nothing to try (and badly fail at annoying us)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Get some friends playing. It's a hard slog by yourself. It's doubtful that you'll find anyone to take you into their tribe unless you already know them.

Other than that, get a bird quickly a pteranodon, even low level just to get around. Get a trike for Berry collection, once you can go out on the trike for 5 minutes and come back with a couple of hundred narco berries it makes it much easier to get narcotics made which are useful for xp as well as getting new dinosaurs.

Learn the kibble system, ie if you want a better pteranodon you need dodo kibble, for this you'll need rock carrots and dodo eggs amongst other things, dodo kibble will also get you a pet monkey and dolphins. Dilo kibble would be the most useful other than that early in the game so get some dilos tamed. Scorpions are tamed using raw meat, if you see some low level scorpions around particularly female try and get them, raw meat isn't hard to get and eventually their eggs are used to make the kibble that gets you rexes.

You always need one male, once they're mate boosted they lay eggs quicker. You only need that one male though, as long as you keep the females close enough one male is enough to mate boost many females.

They've not gone away.

In fact the server that we are all alpha on our base is so big now that if we enter it and get a lag spike at the same time we get kicked to the dashboard.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it can take up to 3-4 minutes to leave or enter the base , leaving you staring at a frozen game while waiting :(

I'm well open to correction on this but going by reddit threads PvE is the most toxic of game modes in Ark. People trolling left right and centre by pillaring around bases and putting pipes EVERYWHERE in your base.

F**K that , PvP is the only way to play this game properly, so if someone tried that they are getting a couple of hundred rockets to the face in retaliation.

I'm on a pve server with max, it's a friendly server, there's nothing toxic about it. I think the problems arise when something toxic does happen there's no way to fix it which means you're more likely to complain.

Nolimits wrote: »
    Get some friends playing. It's a hard slog by yourself. It's doubtful that you'll find anyone to take you into their tribe unless you already know them.

Other than that, get a bird quickly a pteranodon, even low level just to get around. Get a trike for Berry collection, once you can go out on the trike for 5 minutes and come back with a couple of hundred narco berries it makes it much easier to get narcotics made which are useful for xp as well as getting new dinosaurs.

Learn the kibble system, ie if you want a better pteranodon you need dodo kibble, for this you'll need rock carrots and dodo eggs amongst other things, dodo kibble will also get you a pet monkey and dolphins. Dilo kibble would be the most useful other than that early in the game so get some dilos tamed. Scorpions are tamed using raw meat, if you see some low level scorpions around particularly female try and get them, raw meat isn't hard to get and eventually their eggs are used to make the kibble that gets you rexes.

You always need one male, once they're mate boosted they lay eggs quicker. You only need that one male though, as long as you keep the females close enough one male is enough to mate boost many females.

Yeah I've been making slow progress at it but I can imagine it takes ages to advance by yourself, this is my first go at it so I'm just playing PvE first to learn how things work and stuff, I figured it would be easier without having to worry about other players to start. I don't know anyone who plays it either so I'll probably be on my own for a while, at least until I get my level up a good bit.

I haven't tamed any animals yet, I seem to get attacked either by a group of compy or dilos every time I try to knock out anything. I'm still finding it difficult to kill things unless they're a really low level and small, but even then when there are groups of them I get killed easy. I killed a raptor that was 30 but that was because it attacked my hut and I used spears from inside. What is the easiest way to get hide? I'll unlock the bow at the next level too, is that worth getting straight away?

It got a lot easier once I had a bed and storage because I could respawn there and have some stuff so I didn't have to just collect everything again. I only just got the stone walls so that is a big help because they take a lot more to break than the wood, I'll get the stone foundation at the next level so that should help too.

Use a Pick for getting Meat and Hatchet for getting Hide. They'll both give you meat and hide but each one works better for their specific role.
    Metal tools are obviously a lot better.
    Use spears to take out the compys, make like 4 or 5 or more so that when one breaks you get the next one.
    For Dilo's, just side step their spit and spear them too.
    Make some Wooden Spike walls and put them down around whatever you are trying to tame with yourself inside, this should give you some protection.
    We built our first home out of stone but then anything after that was out of wood as there wasnt really any need to have that extra protection with the stone ont he PvE server since other players cant damage your buildings.

If you use wood for your fire, do not throw out the charcoal, you will need it eventually for making gunpowder to make bullets to make tranq darts.
    When I first started, I didnt throw anything away, stones, thatch, hide, flint, I kept it all in case it was needed for something. I would always tell Nolimits not to throw things out because we would need it for making stuff :D

What server you on, you might get lucky and someone reading this is on the same server.

When you're starting out try and keep a minimum of 4 or 5 spears in your hot bar. Compys are easy to kill, just keep moving backwards and stabbing downwards. Dodos are decent for hide, just make sure you use the hatchet if you want hide, pick is for meat.

Just be friendly in chat, it's pve you're no threat to anyone most people would probably be happy to help you out with a few things that mean nothing to them but will mean the world to you, hide is case in point particularly when you're new to the game getting hide can be hard but when you're high level you literally throw out thousands, but also metal tools, pikes and crossbows etc would really help you. Just don't go asking for stuff, if you bump into someone or find someone checking out your base just say hi.

Edit: Yeah get the bow, you can get that low level pteranodon, just wait for one to land and get a headshot.

• Advertisement

I'm on pve-na-xboxofficialserver638, I haven't really seen anyone yet but there are buildings a lot of towers around the south, I haven't gone out of the easy zones yet because I'll just be killed too quickly. Is there a voice chat or just text chat? Does the bow with stone arrows not kill things?

There is a voice chat but if I am not mistaken, it is limited to the zone you are in, this is probably so that there isnt so many people chatting and causing confusion among other things.
    When you unlock the Bow and the Arrows, you should also unlock Tranq Arrows.
    You will need an Arrow and Narcotics to make a Tranq arrow, this will make it a little easier to knock out animals without killing them unless they have very low health.
    If you can find a large enough rock on the beach, you can stand on this and shoot at a Trike to knock it out but dont try this with the likes of the Carno or Raptor, they can climb the rocks, as can the scorpions and some others I cant remember off the top of my head.

I'm on a pve server with max, it's a friendly server, there's nothing toxic about it. I think the problems arise when something toxic does happen there's no way to fix it which means you're more likely to complain.

Do people pillar the ever loving crap out of areas to claim their lands (not even griefing)

Do people pillar the ever loving crap out of areas to claim their lands (not even griefing)

Em, there's been a bit of that, people have also moved those pillars when asked plenty of times. There are plenty of decent places for bases I think.

Em, there's been a bit of that, people have also moved those pillars when asked plenty of times. There are plenty of decent places for bases I think.

But plenty have also flat out refused and there's NOTHING you can can do about it if they refused. But hey look I'll never play PvE it's not my thing. I feel like playing PvE is playing only half the game and you don't get the full kill or kill experience that you do in PvP with all the politics that goes with it.

Each to their own

I think PvE is a good place to start, for me anyway, because it would be very frustrating starting out not knowing what to to and being killed by other players as well as having to worry about the dinos. I found it really annoying in the beginning when I kept being spawned where there were raptors or groups of compy because I was dying so quickly and without making any kind of progress so I can only imagine how bad it would be with other players trying to kill me too.

Thanks for the help last night Max, I made a bit more progress today and built a bit more so there's space to keep the dodos.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

What is a new ARK:Survival Evolved update about?

Doodleking wrote: »
    What is a new ARK:Survival Evolved update about?

If your talking about the update that came out this week it's too patch some issues with the new update that came out a few weeks ago.
    Though this update has some issues too like the game crashing on single player when you fly over the redwood biome

• Advertisement
Advertisement