Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax on property abroad while resident in Ireland

Options
  • 10-05-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All

My husband owns one (currently being rented out), and is looking to purchase another, investment property in his home country; France.

We've been renting and paying tax in Ireland since 2010.

Can anyone advise me on whether we need to "declare" these properties to the Irish revenue as well as the French? Or is sufficient that the French revenue are informed? Do both countries need to be informed about everything?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hi All

My husband owns one (currently being rented out), and is looking to purchase another, investment property in his home country; France.

We've been renting and paying tax in Ireland since 2010.

Can anyone advise me on whether we need to "declare" these properties to the Irish revenue as well as the French? Or is sufficient that the French revenue are informed? Do both countries need to be informed about everything?

Thanks in advance!

You need to declare your French income and tax to the Irish revenue. You may be taxed more as a result of this. I advise speaking to a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

As far as I know, person ordinary resident, but not domiciled in Ireland, is only due tax from rental income on foreign property, if this income is remitted to Ireland.
    Would that be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CiniO wrote: »
    As far as I know, person ordinary resident, but not domiciled in Ireland, is only due tax from rental income on foreign property, if this income is remitted to Ireland.
    Would that be correct?

actually you are right there. You only need to declare income on remittance if the husband is French domiciled (that is if you can say your husband isnt settled in Ireland for life).

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Physics Girl

Excellent.

Thanks for the feedback Ciaran_Boyle and CiniO, that makes a lot more sense :)

Advertisement