Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC won't boot

Options
  • 10-05-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,

I upgraded my gpu to a 980 ti matrix a month or so ago and now my pc won't boot. The led on the ram lights up red on boot and then goes out. Fans run, I can hear the hard drive spinning but there's no output to the monitor or keyboard. I've tried spraying the memory slots with compressed air, tried new ram in every configuration, tried it with the onboard graphics and an older working gpu but no luck. My psu is a corsair 720w so that should be enough for the gpu. The mobo is an asus P8Z77-LE and the cpu an I5-2500K, all working perfectly for four years until it suddenly crapped out. I'm thinking possibly the PSU couldn't handle the power draw from the gpu and somehow fecked up the board. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

720w should be loads and corsair is a good brand

you can get PSu calculators on net
    This is a good one

http://powersupplycalculator.net/

thru your PC specs into it and click
    it gives a graphic at end of what power each component group is taking at load and idle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

dubpynchon wrote: »
    Hi all,

I upgraded my gpu to a 980 ti matrix a month or so ago and now my pc won't boot. The led on the ram lights up red on boot and then goes out. Fans run, I can hear the hard drive spinning but there's no output to the monitor or keyboard. I've tried spraying the memory slots with compressed air, tried new ram in every configuration, tried it with the onboard graphics and an older working gpu but no luck. My psu is a corsair 720w so that should be enough for the gpu. The mobo is an asus P8Z77-LE and the cpu an I5-2500K, all working perfectly for four years until it suddenly crapped out. I'm thinking possibly the PSU couldn't handle the power draw from the gpu and somehow fecked up the board. Any ideas?

Can you get into the bios even with the onboard GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dubpynchon

No, there's no signal to the monitor at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Was it booting in to OS at all after installing the card a month ago?

I had something similar to this ages ago, it was a loose power lead plugged in to the graphics card (it looked fine but needed to be pushed in a bit more).

Also, is the machine booting when the card isn't plugged in?

It was working fine for a few weeks, booted to Windows no problem. Now it won't boot at all, even through the onboard graphics. The board is getting power but the red led for the ram is flashing red. I've cleaned out the slots and replaced the ram and tried one slot but it's still the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

dubpynchon wrote: »
    It was working fine for a few weeks, booted to Windows no problem. Now it won't boot at all, even through the onboard graphics. The board is getting power but the red led for the ram is flashing red. I've cleaned out the slots and replaced the ram and tried one slot but it's still the same.

Any beep codes from the little motherboard speaker?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you done this?
    1. MemOK! switch
    Installing DIMMs that are incompatible with the motherboard may cause system
    boot failure, and the DRAM_LED near the MemOK! switch lights continuously. Press
    and hold the MemOK! switch until the DRAM_LED starts blinking to begin automatic
    memory compatibility tuning for successful boot
    • Refer to section 2.2.7 Onboard LEDs for the exact location of the DRAM_LED.
    • The DRAM_LED also lights when the DIMM is not properly installed. Turn off the
    system and reinstall the DIMM before using the MemOK! function.
    • The MemOK! switch does not function under Windows®
    OS environment.
    • During the tuning process, the system loads and tests failsafe memory settings. It
    takes about 30 seconds for the system to test one set of failsafe settings. If the test
    fails, the system reboots and test the next set of failsafe settings. The blinking speed
    of the DRAM_LED increases, indicating different test processes.
    • Due to memory tuning requirement, the system automatically reboots when each
    timing set is tested. If the installed DIMMs still fail to boot after the whole tuning
    process, the DRAM_LED lights continuously. Replace the DIMMs with ones
    recommended in the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists) in this user manual or on
    the ASUS website at www.asus.com.
    • If you turn off the computer and replace DIMMs during the tuning process, the system
    continues memory tuning after turning on the computer. To stop memory tuning, turn
    off the computer and unplug the power cord for about 5–10 seconds.
    • If your system fail to boot due to BIOS overclocking, press the MemOK! switch to boot
    and load BIOS default settings. A message will appear during POST reminding you
    that the BIOS has been restored to its default settings.
    • We recommend that you download and update to the latest BIOS version from the
    ASUS website at www.asus.com after using the MemOK! function.

Flashing DRAM LED = Self testing ram by the looks of things. If you'd a bad XMP profile that'd botch it I assume.

The motherboard doesn't come with an onboard speaker. I've replaced the memory with the exact same frequency ram and tried it with one and two sticks, no result. I've also cleaned out the slots with compressed air. The led lights when it's powered on as if the ram isn't installed, it is, the clips at the side clicked in. I don't think it's the ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you pressed and held the MEM OK Button?

Yes I have, no change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

This may be way off the beaten path, but have you tried taking out the CMOS battery for a few mins, putting it back in and trying again?

I got it working, it turns out it was a faulty wireless pci card. I had done everything but take out the old pci cards, and I thought I knew about pcs. Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement