Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for female first time renter

Options
  • 10-05-2016 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm going to be viewing an apartment later this week and I made the appointment via text (in hindsight I really should have called). The ad is looking for females only.

Now, this could just be me being paranoid but, from it's the kind of ad that seems almost too good to be true so I'm really looking for the catch so to speak. The place is not owner occupied but because I've been speaking to person who placed the ad via text I don't know their gender. So here are my questions:

1. If it turns out the other tenant is male and is the one placing the ad should I be worried?
    2. If the other tenant is the one placing the ad should I ask to speak with the landlord as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tiptoetwirl

I'm going to be viewing an apartment later this week and I made the appointment via text (in hindsight I really should have called). The ad is looking for females only.

Now, this could just be me being paranoid but, from it's the kind of ad that seems almost too good to be true so I'm really looking for the catch so to speak. The place is not owner occupied but because I've been speaking to person who placed the ad via text I don't know their gender. So here are my questions:

1. If it turns out the other tenant is male and is the one placing the ad should I be worried?
    2. If the other tenant is the one placing the ad should I ask to speak with the landlord as well?
    3. How do I avoid falling into the meet-and-greet scam because I've heard people say that paying your deposit upfront is not uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Yes, yes and hand over no money till all is 200% clear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

in general it is women who look for female only roommates, ive never come across lads saying females only.

1: i wouldnt be worried unless it makes you uncomfortable.
    2:yes

It's almost definitely an all female house if the add requests females only.

I put males only when advertising a room in my houseshare as its been all males all along and the dynamic of the place would be different with a mixed house (along with far higher heating bills no doubt :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why not use the phone option of actually ringing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Or just ring to double check the address/to confirm you will be there etc - you'll get a vibe of some sort from that phonecall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Imagine if this thread was Advice for male first time renter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

snubbleste wrote: »

People would being saying him instead of her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

snubbleste wrote: »

Mod note Constructive posts are preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's almost definitely an all female house if the add requests females only.

Not necessarily.

It may be a 4-person, currently 50/50 and one of the women is moving out.

Or a well house-trained guy who doesn't want to live with slobs and has misconceptions about women.

OP, take a friend along to the viewing with you if you don't feel comfortable doing it on your own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

If you type their phone number into the search bar in Facebook, their profile might come up.

I always try to get a peek at potential new housemates profiles ... I'm a bit stalky like that!

and has misconceptions about women.

There is no misconception it's a fact that women want heat on far more than men. I haven't turned the heat on in the house (and it's a cold house) for weeks, any house I've called to with woman recently has the heat pumping and still complaints about the cold and not one would be happy to wash dishes with cold water etc which all in my house are perfectly happy to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Maireadio

not one would be happy to wash dishes with cold water etc which all in my house are perfectly happy to do.

Washing up with just cold water is not proper washing up. Greasy items won't come properly clean with cold water, and detergent doesn't wash away as well either, leaving a residue on the plates that will leave a taste. And dried on food won't soften as well.

I'd never turn on a water heater just to wash up but I have never known anyone except the terminally lazy not to boil up a kettle or two of hot water to do a proper job of it. Seriously, why would anyone not do this? I can't believe anyone would consider it out of the ordinary. It is a very normal housemate activity. And I've lived with males and females.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

There is no misconception it's a fact that women want heat on far more than men. I haven't turned the heat on in the house (and it's a cold house) for weeks, any house I've called to with woman recently has the heat pumping and still complaints about the cold and not one would be happy to wash dishes with cold water etc which all in my house are perfectly happy to do.

I like to sleep with the windows open even in the dead of winter. My husband likes a very warm bedroom. You have an anecdote and I have an opposite anecdote. Ergo, neither can be claimed as "fact" :rolleyes:

Op, go for a look at the room. I have lived with men and women and both have their pros and cons. You'll get a better sense once you view the place, but i would recommend going with a gut instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭gothic_doll

I went to a viewing once where the ad said he was looking for a professional female to replace one that had just moved out.

When I turn up it's quite evident nobody had just moved out- the wardrobe in the advertised room was just one of the fabric fold-up jobs and no woman would happily use that, and it was revealed it was his house and I would be living with him. I think he was looking for a wife. (I thanked him very much and exited the building.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I don't think the heating is what Mrs OB was on about, she said maybe the guy doesn't want to live with slobs and has misconceptions about women, meaning women can be slobs, too.

And they definitely can be, the messiest housemate I ever had was a woman, and to put that in perspective I once shared a house in college with lads from Cavan and Leitrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can we lose the gender stereotypes please. Thanks.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

not one would be happy to wash dishes with cold water etc which all in my house are perfectly happy to do.

Ahh, yeah ... we've had a discussion about the grill pan in your house in previous threads, I seem to remember, too. :eek:

Ain't it grand that different people can apply to different standards to everyday living, and that with a bit of trial and error we can all find house-mates and eventually partners who meet our personal preferences!

(Mentally adds "do you ever try to wash the dishes in cold water" to the list of questions to potential housemates who are on the border of unacceptable!)

OP - how did you get on, have you been for that viewing yet?

Advertisement