Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Joan Burton resigns as leader of the LP

• 10-05-2016 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Just breaking on newstalk.

Can't say I'm surprised, I'm struggling to think of one single notable achievement she made as the leader of the party.

Im equally struggling to think who will be queuing up to take her place, Alan Kelly? Doubtful after the IW fiasco. Howlin possibly, but a bit long in tooth if you ask me.

Anyway, bye bye Joan.

Comments

Can't say I'm surprised, I'm struggling to think of one single notable achievement she made as the leader of the party.

Im equally struggling to think who will be looking up to take her place, Alan Kelly? Doubtful after the IW fiasco. Howlin possibly, but a bit long in tooth if you ask me.

Anyway, bye bye Joan.

From the Party or al leader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I presume as leader......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Yeah leader, sorry I messed up thread title. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Sean Sherlock is the other name being proposed, doesn't instill much confidence in the party when they are the choices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,615 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Im equally struggling to think who will be queuing up to take her place, Alan Kelly? Doubtful after the IW fiasco. Howlin possibly, but a bit long in tooth if you ask me.

Anyway, bye bye Joan.

Kelly, Sherlock. Howlin is unlikely to want a contest.

Its not a particularly great choice. Some of the senators would be better choices but not the best for getting media time - had there been 6 seats I would have strongly suggested going for a senator (although I'm not sure if that's actually allowed under the party rules and cba checking!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Apparently Howlin has said he won't run. Looks like a contest between Kelly and Sherlock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Apparently Howlin has said he won't run. Looks like a contest between Kelly and Sherlock.

Do the parliamentary party or the members vote for this or a mixture of both?

Would prefer Kelly over Sherlock. Just.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Alan Kelly has a whiff of Donald Trump about him. They might both win their internal party elections this month but they will destroy their parties in the long term. None of the others would be significantly better.

Labour would be better off to look for another takeover by a smaller party and let the leadership of the Social Democrats take the reins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭micosoft

Anyway, bye bye Joan.

Seriously? Not one thing? Perhaps you should try harder! I'm no fan of Joan Burton and disagree with many of her policies but she has done more for her constituents (regardless if they recognised it or not) than all of her political critics put together.

The attitude here shows that putting the national interest ahead of personal gain and putting realistic policy before pure populism does not get rewarded in Ireland.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Reports of Howlin being out may have been premature. If he runs, I'd say he'd get it. Kelly is too much of a loose cannon.

• Advertisement

micosoft wrote: »
    Seriously? Not one thing? Perhaps you should try harder! I'm no fan of Joan Burton and disagree with many of her policies but she has done more for her constituents (regardless if they recognised it or not) than all of her political critics put together.

The attitude here shows that putting the national interest ahead of personal gain and putting realistic policy before pure populism does not get rewarded in Ireland.

Such as?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Reports of Howlin being out may have been premature. If he runs, I'd say he'd get it. Kelly is too much of a loose cannon.

Perhaps he was taken by suprise by burtons annoucement :rolleyes:

If they've any cop they'll elect howlin, he has a safe seat and is competent in media appearances. Problem is that he's a scorpy little git and he's been knocked back twice before because of it

Jan O'Sullivan thinking of throwing her hat in and all, lord protect us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

A true heroine. She will remain much loved by the population. Hopefully her abusers in Jobstown are brought to justice.

Saipanne wrote: »
    A true heroine. She will remain much loved by the population. Hopefully her abusers in Jobstown are brought to justice.

She just barely retained her seat.

She just barely retained her seat.

"The People's Taoiseach"

"The People's Taoiseach"

I'm not sure I follow you tbh.

Who is "The People's Taoiseach"?

I'm not sure I follow you tbh.

Who is "The People's Taoiseach"?

I can't help you.

I can't help you.

I didn't ask you for help, I said I didn't follow you, as in I've no idea to whom you were referring to when you posted "The People's Taoiseach"?

Bit of clarity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Ged Nash or Aodan O'Riordan would be the best people to lead Labour but seeing as they're in the Seanad, the two best PLP choices are Howlin or O'Sullivan. Kelly or Sherlock's leadership would doom the party further given how controversial both are.

Anyway, bye bye Joan.

Well, given that Labour Party rules dictate that she had to, I too am not surprised.

Burton and her leadership will be looked upon kindly by history once this nonsense and noise fades away. Her voice is sometimes painful to listen to, but I've always been impressed with what she has brought to debate.

I earnestly feel that Labour delivered massively in the last government under enormous fiscal constraints. They are the voice of reason on the left, and if we let them slide into obscurity Ireland as a nation and a society will regret it.

For the leadership side, I hope AK47 blows himself out of the water before he can take the reins. Aodhan would have been perfect if he'd managed to bag himself a seat in the Dáil, but don't think he can lead from the Seanad.

I don't really have a lot of faith in any of the current TDs at all tbh. Nobody really stands out as someone who can help bring dissenters back from the Looney Left with pragmatism and care.

A bigger problem than Labour's huge seat loss in the 2016 election isn't the numbers that they lost, but that many if not all leadership candidates were ones that missed out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement