Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Main Street - South Main Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

bloody hate walking on cobblestones.

They should put the worlds longest fastest travellator there so you can get from pana to the bus station in 10 seconds. and have lads trying to stick you in the face with cream pies and water bombs. imagine going back to spain or croatia or leitrim and trying to describe that experience to your mates. would be alot better than " there was this street that had really nice cobblestones". oh yeah? what was down there? "dunno. hate walking on cobblestones."

Ok bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

bloody hate walking on cobblestones.

They should put the worlds longest fastest travellator there so you can get from pana to the bus station in 10 seconds. and have lads trying to stick you in the face with cream pies and water bombs. imagine going back to spain or croatia or leitrim and trying to describe that experience to your mates. would be alot better than " there was this street that had really nice cobblestones". oh yeah? what was down there? "dunno. hate walking on cobblestones."

Best post ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Cobble stones are generally not put in as new, unless they are already there as part of a historic area. They're extremely difficult for people in wheelchairs, and people with mobility issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Cobble stones are generally not put in as new, unless they are already there as part of a historic area. They're extremely difficult for people in wheelchairs, and people with mobility issues.

where as travellators are wheelchair friendly and make people more mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,638 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has Iceland opened in North Main Street shopping centre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

The rather bleak North Gate bridge has received some welcome floral additions presumably from reimagine Cork :)

33lft6d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Nice to see those flowers alright! I've heard that an Aldi is going to be opening on North Main Street. I'm assuming it will be where Dunnes was. Anyone else heard this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Nice to see those flowers alright! I've heard that an Aldi is going to be opening on North Main Street. I'm assuming it will be where Dunnes was. Anyone else heard this?

I think someone else mentioned Iceland supermarket as well but may be just a rumour.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

IMO The death knell for the North Main Street was the chemist at the front of the shopping centre. I think it supplies (if that's the right term) methadone for the addicts. It can be like a scene from the Walking Dead there first thing in the morning. Frightened most people away from shopping there.
    Have family that live near Grattan Street and they had shopped in Dunnes for decades, but switched to Tesco's in Paul St long before North Main closed. Several parish meetings held with regards to said chemist but the locals were powerless to do anything.
    Coupled with the Cash Converters at the other end of the street, where it is not uncommon to see people queueing up with black refuse bags of stuff and what was once a vibrant, people friendly vein of Cork is now almost a no-go area. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

seoirsem wrote: »
    IMO The death knell for the North Main Street was the chemist at the front of the shopping centre. I think it supplies (if that's the right term) methadone for the addicts. It can be like a scene from the Walking Dead there first thing in the morning. Frightened most people away from shopping there.
    Have family that live near Grattan Street and they had shopped in Dunnes for decades, but switched to Tesco's in Paul St long before North Main closed. Several parish meetings held with regards to said chemist but the locals were powerless to do anything.
    Coupled with the Cash Converters at the other end of the street, where it is not uncommon to see people queueing up with black refuse bags of stuff and what was once a vibrant, people friendly vein of Cork is now almost a no-go area. Pity

That pharmacy is certainly causing problems on that end of the street.

However, this idea that North Main Street is somehow a kind of a 'no go zone' is just ridiculous and a gross misrepresentation of reality. I have been on the street quite a lot in recent times, and it is fine; I admit that it is not perfect, and is far from it - but it is quite vibrant, fairly busy in terms of footfall, fairly well kept. Vacancy is actually quite low and although there are a few too many charity shops for my liking, it has a diverse range of services and shops. It most certainly is not a place that I would avoid or suggest to anyone that they should.

• Advertisement
Advertisement