Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd Hard Drive Disappeared - Help!

Options
  • 10-05-2016 6:44pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have two hard drives on my computer. A 120gb SSD for my C drive - windows and programs etc - and a 1TB hard drive for all my personal files. The other day it just disappeared. I tried restarting etc but it has not come back - only getting around to trying to properly fix it now.

The weird thing is windows explorer sunndenly added a few drives out of nowhere - all labels "removeable Disk. Here is a pic

When I go into Disk Management this is what I see

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Go into bios and see if its recognised there. If not, may be a problem with drive or loose cabling.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah seems like its there. Tried a few more things like a system restore but still no difference. I remember years ago something similar happened and I found a little program that somehow fixed the problem. Only problem is I can't remember what it was.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could do?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Usually what I'd do in this scenario is put the disk in a docking station and try access via USB..

http://www.adverts.ie/external-hard-drives/dual-2-5-3-5-sata-esata-ide-hdd-dock-docking-station-usb/10455197

Have you reseated the data cable on the drive, not just the power cable ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Zascar wrote: »
    Yeah seems like its there. Tried a few more things like a system restore but still no difference. I remember years ago something similar happened and I found a little program that somehow fixed the problem. Only problem is I can't remember what it was.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what I could do?

Maybe try this:
    http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your bios isnt presenting the drive to the OS, if the bios itself lists its controller is probably OK so its most likely just a setting/mode (like the disabled flag set).

Reset your bios (CLEAR CMOS) to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You might consider swapping SATA data cable, change SATA port on MB if any available(or swap with C:/ drives port), also check power supply cable for loose connection. Regards "Removable disk" - do you have card reader adapter attached/build-in to PC/laptop?

Advertisement