Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union - Dormant Account

• 10-05-2016 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

So I had a credit union account way back in the last millennium, probably the appropriate date is circa 1995.

Anyway, as the title hints the account was dormant. I did get a couple of letters from said credit union to be fair to them, but because of things that were going on with me in my life at that time I never got around to acting on their instructions. The end result I recall vaguely is that my account was dormant and I for some reason assumed that the money was forfeited. I no longer have the correspondence or any reference to the account.

I was actually helping out someone else recently who had a dormant account with a Bank and I got the impression that money from dormant accounts could be reclaimed - when I looked for the legislation this was based on on the inter-webs I recall it being dated long after my dormant account.

Question; Does anyone know if the contents of my account would have been forfeited / or are they somehow recoverable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I had one with around €100.
    Even though they knew me,they needed a utility bill and i.d. like drivers license passport.
    They reactivated the account and I took the money out.
    The girl suggested i leave a few euro in it as it went towards some kinda life assurance or something.

Advertisement