Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing a child's passport

Options
  • 10-05-2016 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

We are in the process of sending our daughter's passport off for renewal. When we were at the Garda station this evening getting the form signed, the Garda said we need to send one of our passports off with it. Is this correct? I remember doing this the first time round as it was her first passport but I thought with a renewal, we would just send off her old passport along with the filled out form. Anyone know off hand?

Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I recently renewed and did send mine but I was also applying for my second child's first passport at the same time so couldn't say for sure.
    But if you have a Twitter account their Twitter is very active and if you send a private message and ask they'll reply the same day. Much handier than ringing and staying on hold for ages!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭amor3

I sent mine in when I renewed my son's. It was a bit confusing whether or not it needed to be sent, but just did it anyway! No problem with it and got both back together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Parent's passport definitely does not have to be sent with a child's renewal. It is only sent for the first application so they can establish if your child is entitled to Irish citizenship (law changed in 2005 meaning any child born in Ireland is not automatically an Irish citizen, unless their parent fulfills certain criteria).

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I was told this at the P.O. so they photocopied my drivers licence and we put that in instead. Nothing has been bumped back to me so hope it's ok. Was also getting a first passport for other children but I hadn't seen that requirement anywhere on the form.

Also because the child we were renewing for was five, the P.O. told us we should have her long birth cert??Also not on the form. Went off without that so we'll see.

Clear guidelines would be helpful. Maybe I totally missed this information but I'm usually good at reading all the terms and conditions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

theLuggage wrote: »
    I was told this at the P.O. so they photocopied my drivers licence and we put that in instead. Nothing has been bumped back to me so hope it's ok. Was also getting a first passport for other children but I hadn't seen that requirement anywhere on the form.

Also because the child we were renewing for was five, the P.O. told us we should have her long birth cert??Also not on the form. Went off without that so we'll see.

Clear guidelines would be helpful. Maybe I totally missed this information but I'm usually good at reading all the terms and conditions ;)

Same happened me at the post office-didn't know I needed to send off my passport too (new application), so had to go off home and come back again. Grrr!
    I hd a renewal for my 5 year old , did include her old passport but not a birth cert and it was processed. That was just a couple of weeks ago so should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Hopefully!! But was a while ago now so hopefully it's being processed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I've just renewed and applied for a first time passport and I didn't send my passport, it wasn't on list of required documentation. Passports were issued last week after 7 weeks so be prepared for a delay at the moment, and that was with passport express

But this site tells me I should have sent my passport!??! http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/travel_abroad/passports/passports_for_children.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

It's on the DFA website as a required supporting document. I'd send it to be on the safe side.

Sorry my post above is for a first time app, the lady in the post office wouldn't send my daughters application without mine included. The attached pic on this post is what it says for renewals, seems to just be a child's previous passport.

Digs wrote: »
    Sorry my post above is for a first time app, the lady in the post office wouldn't send my daughters application without mine included. The attached pic on this post is what it says for renewals, seems to just be a child's previous passport.

Yep, I'm now fearing that I'm going to get a note on Monday telling me I have to send in my passport!

• Advertisement

Yep, I'm now fearing that I'm going to get a note on Monday telling me I have to send in my passport!

You might do, if it's issued I'd say you're fine though! I found with the passport office if there's ever any issue with the application they are very quick with contact and communication etc

When I applied for my daughters first one the application sat in the system for a while, once it was checked and they realised the pics weren't right they rang me directly and I got names and personal email addresses to contact, correct pics were sent back and I had the passport within two days. If they know you need a passport for a certain date they'll do everything they can.

Digs wrote: »
    You might do, if it's issued I'd say you're fine though! I found with the passport office if there's ever any issue with the application they are very quick with contact and communication etc

When I applied for my daughters first one the application sat in the system for a while, once it was checked and they realised the pics weren't right they rang me directly and I got names and personal email addresses to contact, correct pics were sent back and I had the passport within two days. If they know you need a passport for a certain date they'll do everything they can.

I hope so! System says renewal has been posted and new app is being printed, so hoping both are in the post

Advertisement