Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smurfit's MSc in Business Analytics

Options
  • 10-05-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've just accepted a place on Smurfit's MSc in Business Analytics and I want to start preparing for it by doing some revision between now and September.

Could any graduates of the course give me some advice on what they found challenging? Or any advice on how to prepare for the first semester's modules?

I know Python but from reading past threads, Java is the language used in this course; is this still the case?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Hi OlympicAira, I have also accepted a place on the course.

No advice for you but I will follow the thread with interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I did the course a few years ago and I would 100% brush up on your Java, there is (was) a significant Java project and possibly a second depending on what module you pick in semester 2. Other than that I wouldn't do too much, I assume you're numerate and the maths/stats courses will look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PPAndy

Hi all,

I have just applied for a position on this course.

I work as a data analyst and have previously completed a BSc in Business and a H.Dip in Data Analytics. This course sounds great and exactly what I'm looking for but I'm wondering how intense the maths modules are?

I'm worried that although I want the skills involved in the course, I may not be at a proficient level to start with. I will be doing the part-time course (if I am accepted) so I presume I'll have more time to get to grips with new concepts.

Any advice on areas to look at to gauge my proficiency/get a head start on?

Thanks

PPAndy - the stats class starts from the start so you should be fine.

The pure maths class also starts from the start but it is extremely fast paced I found. Tbh some of the stuff is quite abstract so unless you're really going to put a lot of time in I would recommend you wait until you begin and let the lecturer help you along, there's loads of classwork/tutorials so you get to put the stuff into practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PPAndy

Thanks for that Observer.

Good to hear from someone who has been through the course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭ucdperson

The MSc now mostly uses Python rather than Java, so the OP is well positioned there.

In relation to maths, the courses do move along. In some cases people did their maths some time ago and while they still understand the concepts they may have forgotten the mechanics of integration, multiplying matrices, or whatever. So it is no harm to get out the old first year book and recall these things so that you can concentrate on the ideas in the lectures rather than on how the lecturer got to line 2.

ucdperson wrote: »
    The MSc now mostly uses Python rather than Java, so the OP is well positioned there.

That's me told!

Probably for the best. In industry now I've never seen Java used for anything data science related while Python certainly is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

Hi all. I'm just wondering if there were any particular 'core' textbooks used during the course?

Advertisement