Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat teeth woes!

• 10-05-2016 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Cream has been struck down by the dreaded gingivitis yet again! He was in the vets last Friday for antibiotics, worst I've ever seen him. He went in yesterday for a dental and they said the gingivitis was spread right up to his roots :(
    He just seems very prone to it, his first dental was done at two and the vet commented it's rare to come up that young unless there's a generic component involved.
    Now that we're starting from a fresh slate again after being cleaned - is there anything I can do to help stop this coming up again? My own research is leading to raw diet but I just wouldn't realistically be able to do this with living at home and having the three meowing mouths to feed!
    At the moment he's on applaws dry (chicken with lamb right now which they are loving!) which they get morning and night, and a wet food meal in the evenings which is either Cosma (zooplus), Real Nature wilderness or Moments (Maxi Zoo) all of which I would consider to be really good high meat content foods. This is also supplemented with either salmon oil or a skin and coat oil. Raw treats every now and again when he's mooching around while I cook or if I be cheeky and ask the butcher for a heart!
    I tried a plaque spray that you put in the food but saw no difference at all. Would Plaque Off or something similar be of benefit, has anyone had success using these? Or any other suggestions! Willing to try anything at this stage.. would be so much easier if he was a dog and would chew on toys!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My sister has had great success using plaque off with her cats, aside from that I can't think of any other advice.
    One of my cats ended up having to get all her back teeth removed, top and bottom, a few months ago due to this, she recovered great and can still eat kibble!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

See if your local butcher can source you chicken necks; the bones in it are soft enough that a cat can easily crunch it but it should help keep the teeth cleaner and a neck every second day as part of the evening meal for them to crunch on basically.

Advertisement