Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting on Social welfare

Options
  • 10-05-2016 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Hello
    I need a place to live very soon. I am out of work at the moment and getting the dole.
    The housing list is very long so I was thinking of just renting a room in a shared house. There are a few available cheapish near here.

I could afford the room even without rent allowance but I am wondering if Landlords are going to refuse to let to me without a job? I haven't got any references either.
    What is the best thing for me to do in this situation. The ads I have seen dont mention anything about refs or income but I'd rather avoid an awkward situation
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It depends on the area to be honest. If there's high demand then the landlord will more than likely be looking for someone who's working, but if it's an area with plenty of stock then they tend to be less fussy.

I also think you've a better chance if you rent directly from a landlord rather than be chosen by tenants to fill a vacant room. You not working would suggest you will be around more, and at times when most people are working so the bills would be higher. That's a big thing against you.

You will more than likely get a room much more easily if you don't require a landlord to accept rent allowance.

You will more than likely need references, is there a reason you don't have any?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Honestly the main thing that would concern me in this situation would be heating costs. There is potentially another 10 hours a day of oil/gas usage which could triple the normal costs for everyone. Never mind electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Thanks.

Its nice to get an idea of what people would be thinking.
    Honestly I'm out most of the day and we're coming into summer so surely heating wouldn't be that big a problem. I suppose its not whether it is a problem or not but whether it will be percieved as one :(

Would they still want references even for only a 3 month let?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Of course people will want references even if it is a 3 month let. A bad tenant can cause massive damage in a short time and also accrue arrears of rent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Only looking for 3 months would be very difficult unless someone is particularly looking for short term lettings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

As its coming into summer time and lots of students are leaving college you might get lucky with a 3 month let. If you live near a university, even call in and take a look at notice boards there are often signs up looking for someone to take a room for the summer until people return. Best of luck its tough out there at the minute.

Personally I've never been asked for references when moving into a houseshare. So you may not be asked either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Have you thought about getting a job, even if it's not an ideal role? Even if you get something PT it might swing it for a potential house share and you can still claim partial dole. I'm assuming Dublin here - plenty of jobs in Dublin at the moment. Of course you may not be in Dublin.

Advertisement