Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pellet gun

• 10-05-2016 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭

hey all,the place around here is covered with crows so was thinking of getting a pellet gun shoot them as i'm not too keen on a real gun,Just wondering are they any good? What price range they are and will i need a licence,any info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hey all,the place around here is covered with crows so was thinking of getting a pellet gun shoot them as i'm not too keen on a real gun Just wondering are they any good?
    Pellet gun or air rifle is, by law, a real gun. In that you need a firearms license, permissions/range membership, gun safe, etc in order to buy, and possess.

As for their use, they would be ideal for short range and be safer than a cartridge based firearm.
    What price range they are and will i need a licence,any info would be greatly appreciated
    As above you'll need a license, safe, land permissions or membership to a club or range, then the firearm, ammo, etc. Considering you bought a rifle that was fairly cheap you're looking at:
    • Rifle - €150 to €400
    • Scope (optional) - €150
    • Safe - €120 to €200
    • License fee - €80
    So between €500 - €830. A better option might be to have someone do it for you however you have one large problem. Where is the shooting to take place? If you live in a housing estate or even near residential area you'll find lads cannot shoot there. For safety and legal reasons. Same applies to yourself.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Cass wrote: »
    Pellet gun or air rifle is, by law, a real gun. In that you need a firearms license, permissions/range membership, gun safe, etc in order to buy, and possess.

As for their use, they would be ideal for short range and be safer than a cartridge based firearm.

As above you'll need a license, safe, land permissions or membership to a club or range, then the firearm, ammo, etc. Considering you bought a rifle that was fairly cheap you're looking at:
    • Rifle - €150 to €400
    • Scope (optional) - €150
    • Safe - €120 to €200
    • License fee - €80
    So between €500 - €830. A better option might be to have someone do it for you however you have one large problem. Where is the shooting to take place? If you live in a housing estate or even near residential area you'll find lads cannot shoot there. For safety and legal reasons. Same applies to yourself.

my house is built on our family farm and away from any residential housing,the crows are attacking my house and car from 5.30 in the morning.I can get someone to shoot crows but woudn't expect to do it at that hour of the day,this has been going on and off for the last two years but has got a lot worse the last few weeks and the whole place is destroyed with them.Just thought if i had my own gun i could give more time to it than asking someone to do it for me

You can absolutely get your own firearm, i just suggested someone else to save you the expense as outlined above. However if its something you'd have continuous use for then by all means go for it.

With the law the way it is basically anything that is not a toy is a firearm and requires all the above.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    You can absolutely get your own firearm, i just suggested someone else to save you the expense as outlined above. However if its something you'd have continuous use for then by all means go for it.

With the law the way it is basically anything that is not a toy is a firearm and requires all the above.

thanks for all the info cass,how long do i have to wait for a licence

Depending on your district between 2 weeks to 3 months. Max of 3 months by law, but that can sometimes run over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

my house is built on our family farm and away from any residential housing,the crows are attacking my house and car from 5.30 in the morning.I can get someone to shoot crows but woudn't expect to do it at that hour of the day,this has been going on and off for the last two years but has got a lot worse the last few weeks and the whole place is destroyed with them.Just thought if i had my own gun i could give more time to it than asking someone to do it for me

Not sure how it works in Ireland but I thought anyone who is into crow hunting would be used to being out at that hour in the morning, you have to set up your decoys and hiding spot before the crows are out and spot you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Where are you based?

If you are not too far off from me, I could probably take care of a few of those pests for you. To be honest, I am looking for a bit of land to shoot on and the favour would be both ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

That hour of the morning is standard fare for anyone doing pest control giveitholly - guarantee that there's someone local to you who can sort you out. If you're around the North-kildare/Westmeath area drop me a line and I'll pop out for a look.

I expect however that it's reflection on glass that they're going after - you'll likely find that the angle of the light at that time of day is turning the windows of the house and the car into mirrors and that'll be what's causing the problem, so there may be an alternative to the gun in any case.

i'm based in the munster area so i'm a bit too far away but thanks for the offer,i have a fella who called this evening to me and managed to get one black crow.He is going to call in the morning around 5.30 and stake out.They are def worse in the morning but can attack at any time to be honest.Was thinking of getting a few decoy hawks as well

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Crows get very wise to what's going on very quick. I shoot for a castle in west limerick and they where destroying the place and tearing into the animal feed. Went to a stage when they saw me and the car they fecked off for a bit. Gladly call out to you if your in my locality and give a helping hand as I know how annoying they can be.

• Advertisement

had someone around this morning to try shoot some crows and guess what there was no sight of them,He parked his jeep in my yard so the crows must of copped something wasn't right,clever feckers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Leave a chicken carcass ( or two ) in the shooting area. Even when you hammer a few corvids they simply can't resist coming back for more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

had someone around this morning to try shoot some crows and guess what there was no sight of them,He parked his jeep in my yard so the crows must of copped something wasn't right,clever feckers

One thing for sure, they ain't stupid animals... I don't know how often we've gone looking to deal with crows and just watched them move over a couple of fields, we move, then they move etc.

As others have suggested above, if you are not particularly interested in getting a real gun, please consider giving a few people permission to shot on your land - fellas are always looking for permissions and would be happy to try and help you with the crow problem. Lads will be happy to show you their licence, insurance etc. to help put your mind at ease, until you get to know them.

I'm not in the Munster area myself, so no personal interest here btw. :)

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

recipio wrote: »
    Leave a chicken carcass ( or two ) in the shooting area. Even when you hammer a few corvids they simply can't resist coming back for more.

Not being smart or clever - but would cooked or raw be best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

rsole1 wrote:

With them savages I don't think it would matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

rsole1 wrote: »

Enjoy the chicken yourself first :rolleyes:! Seriously,I think they lose all inhibition when they see the remains of a cooked carcass. They want to grab and fly so you need to have an accurate rifle and take a quick shot when they land.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭husq

check out my gamo rifle for sale

Folks please don't drop to the level of trolls by responding.

TrollSpray.jpg

Just report the posts instead.

Advertisement