Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone in Toronto?

Options
  • 11-05-2016 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭

So continuing on from a previous thread, I am looking at a move to Toronto.

I will be moving with work, so that that part is covered. I am just trying to get the general lay of the land in terms of neighbourhoods and things like that.

Or if anyone is still out there, what they think of it, things they do etc etc.

Just want to get a picture in my head of it.

Thanks!

Comments

I live in the Fort York area almost downtown by the lake.

Some people say Fort York/Cityplace area is soulless and is just full on condos. But the place is an ideal location. You are a short walk away from the Lake front, Rogers Centre, Exhibition, BMO Field, King & Queen St, Downtown, Tonnes of restaurants and bars and more opening all the time, it is safe, have a couple of street car lines aright outside.

I love it there, I will probably have to move apartment next March but I would hope to stay in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Cheers pal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Smithf987

I'll be going over in Feb alone pretty much in the same boat! I'm planning doing a barista course before I go, I'd like a job in a bar or coffee shop. I don't have any experience though, I work in an office in Dublin and I really don't want an office job over there! Hopefully il get something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Smithf987 wrote:
    I'll be going over in Feb alone pretty much in the same boat! I'm planning doing a barista course before I go, I'd like a job in a bar or coffee shop. I don't have any experience though, I work in an office in Dublin and I really don't want an office job over there! Hopefully il get something

Same, will be heading over in Feb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Must catch up when we are all there.

I head over in September or late August. I'm going over on a motorbike, should be fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 nicololaB

I'm going over on my own in February too. Thanks for the great info about Toronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

I moved to Toronto in late October, great city, loads to do. I live in the Little Italy/ little Portugal area and I really like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Smithf987 wrote: »
    I'm planning doing a barista course before I go, I'd like a job in a bar or coffee shop.
    When you land, get a "Smart Serve".

http://www.bartendertraining.ca/article/canadian-bartending-licensing-requirements
    Ontario

The Ontario province has a mandatory certification program in Smart Serve for individuals and organizations, with online or in-class training. The course can be taken at any age, but you must be 18 years of age or older to work with or sell liquor in the region. A wide selection of prices and modules are available, with $39.49 (including HST) for an individual’s online training and a DVD Trainer’s Package ($140) for managers/supervisors to disseminate to staff which includes workbooks, a guide and the course DVD. It takes approximately 4 hours to complete the entire training, along with the final exam that can be proctored, and which has a passing grade requirement of 80%. Ontarian Smart Serve certificates have no expiry date.

Oh, and get used to adding tax to all prices over here. $4.99 is never $4.99 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hochspitch

DsJewel wrote: »
    I moved to Toronto in late October, great city, loads to do. I live in the Little Italy/ little Portugal area and I really like it.

I just moved here and that's where I am now. College and Delaware. Renting an airbnb for the month

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

You're in a good area. Lots to do and easy to get downtown
    hochspitch wrote: »
    DsJewel wrote: »

I just moved here and that's where I am now. College and Delaware. Renting an airbnb for the month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Could anyone advise, if I'll be working in Scarborough and living closer to downtown, would the commute get to be too much or is public transport doable?

Advertisement