Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adobe Digital Edition

Options
  • 11-05-2016 7:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Can anyone help me out here........I need to load Adobe Digital Edition in order to use Borrow Box, an ap to read e-books from the Library. My iPad will accept ADE happily but Bolinda Digital (Borrow Box) tell me I have to use a computer. When I try to load ADE on my laptop I get the message that it is "not eligible for ap install". From what I have been able to find out thus far it is a huge problem which will mean that I cannot use the Kobo e-reader with this service. Any suggestions which do not require a degree in Computer Science would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

fourcats wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out here........I need to load Adobe Digital Edition in order to use Borrow Box, an ap to read e-books from the Library. My iPad will accept ADE happily but Bolinda Digital (Borrow Box) tell me I have to use a computer. When I try to load ADE on my laptop I get the message that it is "not eligible for ap install". From what I have been able to find out thus far it is a huge problem which will mean that I cannot use the Kobo e-reader with this service. Any suggestions which do not require a degree in Computer Science would be appreciated!

What OS is on your laptop, Windows 7, 8 or 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭fourcats

Wthanks for answering, it's Windows 7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe this will help?
    http://www.cbrl.ca/Overdrive/Kobo_ereader.pdf
    Not from experience. I have a Kobo Arc and just use a reader called UB Reader to read .epubs

Are you installing ADE onto your laptop from here?
    http://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html

I saw Overdrive on the Kobo website but reading purchased books isn't the problem. My problem is that the library service uses this Bolinda Digital site that you can borrow ebooks as one would normal library books. I have no problem reading their books on the iPad but can't on the Kobo because the ebooks have to go through ADE first which won't load on my laptop. All very complicated I know.

• Advertisement

No, I did look there for a solution, there appear to be a few, all very complicated. It was the ADE ap from Google Play I tried on my old laptop as Bolinda Digital don't support iOS.

mordeith wrote: »
    Are you installing ADE onto your laptop from here?
    http://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions/download.html
    Just tried downloading it from the Adobe download page and I got a page telling me "download.adobe.com's server DNS address cannot be found".

Just tried downloading it from the Adobe download page and I got a page telling me "download.adobe.com's server DNS address cannot be found".

Downloads fine for me. I've uploaded the install file to a public Google drive link. Try downloading from here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B65tFE3rnJDhaW9aZTZseVlwcGM/view?usp=sharing

mordeith wrote: »
    Downloads fine for me. I've uploaded the install file to a public Google drive link. Try downloading from here:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B65tFE3rnJDhaW9aZTZseVlwcGM/view?usp=sharing
    Just tried that, told me the file requested does not exist. And to Make sure you have the correct URL and that the owner of the file hasn't deleted it.

Thanks everyone for your help. Found it had downloaded in my downloads folder, hope it works now!

• Advertisement

What I don't understand is why I was getting the error messages e.g. File doesn't exist, not available on your device etc. when all the time it was sitting in the download file. The app icon went straight to the desktop on the iPad with no messing about ..........IT grrrrrrr.

No, I did look there for a solution, there appear to be a few, all very complicated. It was the ADE ap from Google Play I tried on my old laptop as Bolinda Digital don't support iOS.

You can't download and install an app for Android onto a laptop. You need the Windows installer file.

You're right, something isn't working properly, thought I had downloaded ADE but it's only in bits. same for Bolinda Digital, Google Play tells me it's installed but it's not. How do I get Windows installer file?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you got cracked Adobe software on this PC?

Part of the cracking process will have entered all the adobe update domains into the HOSTS file as localhost, this will prevent you downloading anything from the adobe site.

Don't know if I have, it's not just Adobe it seems to be all apps, although it has the banking app and a few others which I downloaded before I got the iPad.

Don't know if I have, it's not just Adobe it seems to be all apps, although it has the banking app and a few others which I downloaded before I got the iPad.

You're confusing the issue when you say apps. Are you having problems with the laptop only?

Yes laptop only. Would rarely use it but but these two apps need to be on a computer in order for me to download ebooks to my E reader, obviously a laptop doesn't qualify as a computer. Can download the ebooks directly to the iPad but to do so to the ereader needs to go through ADE first so need to have ADE and Bolinda Digital (Borrow Box) on laptop, there was no problem putting both on iPad. What is cracked software?

obviously a laptop doesn't qualify as a comyputer.

???

Advertisement