Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Hospital looking for second €100 emergency fee.

• 11-05-2016 7:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭

Last Sept my husband hurt his leg playing soccer. He went to a&e, got the usual done, put a boot on it and told him to come back to a&e the next week for a follow up. He went back, they x-rayed his leg and did what they had to do.
    A bill for €100 came within a week, I phoned them and paid by card over the phone. Job done I thought.
    A few weeks later got another bill for the follow up check up, I called explained I had already paid and it was for the same injury. She said fine, no worries I thought.
    We have since been getting letters and calls from a debt collection company, I have given them all the details of the payment, date, time, transaction number etc.
    Hadn't heard anything in over 3 months. Thought it was dealt with, on Monday my husband got a call again from them, same issue.

Is there anything else we can do, I've contacted the hospital, they say it's out of their hands.

I would appreciate any help in dealing with this.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Did you attend the emergency department twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Last Sept my husband hurt his leg playing soccer. He went to a&e, got the usual done, put a boot on it and told him to come back to a&e the next week for a follow up. He went back, they x-rayed his leg and did what they had to do.
    A bill for €100 came within a week, I phoned them and paid by card over the phone. Job done I thought.
    A few weeks later got another bill for the follow up check up, I called explained I had already paid and it was for the same injury. She said fine, no worries I thought.
    We have since been getting letters and calls from a debt collection company, I have given them all the details of the payment, date, time, transaction number etc.
    Hadn't heard anything in over 3 months. Thought it was dealt with, on Monday my husband got a call again from them, same issue.

Is there anything else we can do, I've contacted the hospital, they say it's out of their hands.

I would appreciate any help in dealing with this.

Thank you.

If its the mater hospital just ring the accounts department in there, they're pretty helpful, and tell intrum justita to pheck off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

If its the mater hospital just ring the accounts department in there, they're pretty helpful, and tell intrum justita to pheck off

No, it was the regional/mid West/ul hospital. Whatever they are calling it now.

Did you attend the emergency department twice?

He was told to come back to a&e the following week as his leg was too swollen to xray on the first day. It was written on his appointment card which we don't have anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Xterminator

He was told to come back to a&e the following week as his leg was too swollen to xray on the first day. It was written on his appointment card which we don't have anymore.

they could have given you an outpatient appointment for xray; rather than present to A&E.

im guessing that presenting yourself at emergency twice is technically 2 bills. that they had to process you twice etc.

however as suggested call their accounts dept and explain the situation, and hopefully they will waive the second fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Pop into his GP. He probably was given a discharge slip to give to his GP the first time which should say about returning a week later. Either that or a letter who have been posted to his GP. Get a copy of this. Explain the situation in writing and send both (retaining a copy for your records) and send it to the accounts department of the hospital by registered post.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Pop into his GP. He probably was given a discharge slip to give to his GP the first time which should say about returning a week later. Either that or a letter who have been posted to his GP. Get a copy of this. Explain the situation in writing and send both (retaining a copy for your records) and send it to the accounts department of the hospital by registered post.

Thank you I'll contact our doctor tomorrow.

I've found the hospital appointment card and it says the return visit was for the emergency department. Off on Tuesday so will go into them and get this sorted. Received a letter from intrum justitia yesterday as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Well I contacted the debt collectors and explained again, said I had the appointment card with the dates on it, which department to attend (emergency), and the barcode is on it. Said it would send a copy to them. They said to contact the hospital again.

Spoke to the accounts department, went through the whole thing again, spoke with a lovely guy, said he would check it out and get back to me.

When I telephoned in to pay which was approx 2 weeks after the first visit, they took the payment for the second visit. I specifically remember saying his appointment on the 19th. Anyway he said to leave it with him and he would sort it out with management.

Phoned 2 hours later, account has been sorted no money owed. So relieved, but I was so close to just paying the other €100, but knew we were being charged twice for the same thing.

Never give up!!! Thank you for your replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement