Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help picking a monitor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Have heard good things about the BenQ. The IPS AOC is also pretty good. I don't think you'll find much else outside these two brands for good quality under 150.
    I'm going to risk this again, but you do have the option of checking the bricks and mortar stores like PC World/Currys and the like. They have a decent selection on the floor (in the 100-200euro price range), turned on so you can see what you are buying. You will pay a markup if you decide to go this route, or you can just window shop and buy online afterwards once you see what all the brands are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

I was in a Curry's on Monday actually.
    Got a bit frustrated with the sales guy as his was ignoring what I wanted (screen size and budget) they only had an LG for 150 that was the display model. After that it was small TVs.
    I prefer to view before I buy but I think for this I'll order online for better value.

Is IPS going to be noticeably different to a TN panel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

will56 wrote: »
    Is IPS going to be noticeably different to a TN panel ?

TNs generally have to be looked at fairly dead-centre so the colours don't look washed out. Not too bad if you have it at the right height and never move from side to side.

Aye, if you want this to be anything other than for playing games and watching movies by yourself, then IPS is the way to go. There are some good quality TN panels which aren't that bad in colour reproduction, but IPS is just better at viewing angles.

Its mainly going to be just me looking at the screen, so viewing angle isn't a major issue.

I'm torn now between the BenQ and the AOC IPS.
    I like the idea of the IPS screen, but the BenQ is a 24", and has the DVI input

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Akingbade

If you want IPS, this one is looks pretty good. 23" ips, hdmi, vga, dvi ports and built in speakers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-VC239H-inch-Full-Monitor/dp/B00YQKTGR8?ie=UTF8&tag=pcp0f-21

I personally like the idea of IPS, as you'll get richer colours which you can appreciate while gaming, watching movies or browsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have two BENQ GL2450HM 24" Full HD LED screen, paid €150 each from Pixmania(see a thread here warning about them now)

I bought one to replace a failed LG screen that was lovely, and was so impressed with the BenQ I bought another.

It's been tough for me to quantity the spend to move into 144mhz and IPS style panels, as without some first hand experience, I don't comprehend how things would look better ot sharper then these BenQ's I have.

Right, I have my choices narrowed down to these (at the moment)
    Lg-24MP57VQ - IPS (1920x1080, VGA, DVI, HDMI) 5ms gtg response time
    or
    BenQgl2460hm LED TN (1920 x 1080) DVI, HDMI, 2ms Response time

If prices are similar am I better off going for IPS over TN even if the response time is slower ?

Only thing I can see is that the BenQ has a hell of a lot more reviews, and consistently good. I think you'll be happy with either tbh :)

Cool, found them in Amazon warehouse for what seems to be a bargain so might make my mind up today

• Advertisement

Usual warning, second hand is second hand. There may be issues, but they are usually pretty decent and you are relatively covered by amazon customer service.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Usual warning, second hand is second hand. There may be issues, but they are usually pretty decent and you are relatively covered by amazon customer service.
    That's what I was thinking, but the comments don,t mention any use/dead pixels/damage to the monitor itself, just the packaging. I'm assuming then its a unused return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If its cheap enough go for it, examine the hell out of it when you get it and if you're in any way unsure , send it back.

I got a pair of G930 wireless headphones in the warehouse for 15 quid a few weeks ago. They are perfect, packaging was slighly crushed but that was it. Then again, im only down 15 quid if they go tits up whereas a monitor is a good bit more risk.

Worth the risk for 92 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Worth the risk for 92 ?

Whats the monitor worth normally?
    Is 92 stg a good reduction or a small reduction?
    Whats the warranty like on new?

Redfox25 wrote: »
    Worth the risk for 92 ?

Whats the monitor worth normally?
    Is 92 stg a good reduction or a small reduction?
    Whats the warranty like on new?
    Camel, Camel shows it at around 122/6. second hand is 71 incl delivery
    "Item is in original packaging, but packaging is damaged. Trial offers may be expired. Item has no cosmetic imperfections."

So Monitor arrived by Parcel motel on Saturday.
    Perfect condition, packaging was a bit worn but the monitor itself was in perfect condition, brand new
    Never seen an IPS screen before, colours look great on it.
    For less than 100(Delivered) its a bargain of a screen, I will definitely be checking our the Amazon Warehouse deals in future

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So Monitor arrived by Parcel motel on Saturday.
    Perfect condition, packaging was a bit worn but the monitor itself was in perfect condition, brand new
    Never seen an IPS screen before, colours look great on it.
    For less than 100(Delivered) its a bargain of a screen, I will definitely be checking our the Amazon Warehouse deals in future

Mind dropping a link to the warehouse? and just what monitor did you get in the end? Saw you were down to two choices.

I'm eyeing up a 144HZ monitor so looking into options.

Saw the below last week at a sub €200 price and thought it was a good shout. I know from friends and experience Overclockers b Grade stuff is normally great stuff at a bargain, so good to hear the same with Amazon

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-grade-aoc-g2460pg-24-1920x1080-tn-g-sync-144hz-1ms-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-gunmetal-bg-021-ao.html

This is the one that I ended up getting.
    For the money I don't think I could have gotten better value. I know I had said my budget was 150, but as cheap as possible was my main goal.
    This is what I ordered " LG 24MP57VQ 24" IPS LED Monitor "
    The monitor I ordered was the last "As New" one so for under 100 I think its a bargain :)

This is the link to the Warehouse https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/deals/ref=nav_cs_gb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I bought my case from Amazon warehouse with a hefty discount because it was "used". It wasn't, it was just rejected by the initial buyer because the box it came in was damaged. Case itself was perfect. If buying from the warehouse just read the description to see what's up with it, it's usually just damaged packaging.

• Advertisement
Advertisement