Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treadmill

Options
  • 11-05-2016 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

I know this question has been asked a few times before but the search function is playing up for me so can't really find any info. So for anyone out there who has bought a treadmill or looked into buying one what should I be looking for?

Ideally I'd want one that goes to 20kmph, some only go to 18kmph and even though I'd probably never even use it that fast I'd rather have it and not need it than be looking for it.

I remember reading about a 3bhp motor being ideal as well?

One last thing I was wondering was about power for the treadmill. Do they run off a normal plug? My brother, an electrician, said he thought some of them had to be run off nearly cooker grade wiring. The treadmill will be going in a shed so no problem getting that done if we need to but if it could be run off a normal socket it would save some hassle.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

I have one

top speed is 18kph, i am not convinced it actually reaches this as the ones in the gym seem to take more effort for the same speed. 18kph may be a little too slow for intervals but is ok for most running

mine has a 3hp motor and it runs just fine, the problem with the non gym standard ones is generally the motor and the running deck. my first deck cracked and replacements are expensive (maybe €200) depending on size. the guy i had out servicing mine was of the opinion that if you want to run on it a lot then you need a gym standard one as the lesser models are really only made for joggers doing short sessions. the gym ones are expensive 2nd hand

mine runs off a normal plug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Normal plug, ideally 3.5hp if looking for 20kmph. As MD highlights some of the home versions are not built for constant use. I have also had issues with decks and running belts. If i was to do it over again i would spend the money and get a good, well serviced 2nd hand commercial machine.

Treadmill running is great if you have structure in the session although have often needed it for 2hr long runs (needs must).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Cheers folks, ideally it won't be used a lot, prefer running outside but can see the benefit to having one. won't be a proper training room without one either!

Any where that is particularly good to buy from? Seen a lot of rental places online or the cheaper argos type ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

joey100 wrote: »
    Cheers folks, ideally it won't be used a lot, prefer running outside but can see the benefit to having one. won't be a proper training room without one either!

Any where that is particularly good to buy from? Seen a lot of rental places online or the cheaper argos type ones.

These guys sometimes have good commercial second hand treadmills. totalgymservices@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

joey100 wrote: »

dont really know about that - got mine on adverts

• Advertisement
Advertisement