Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

layers of newspaper under bark mulch

Options
  • 11-05-2016 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

just wondering if any of you have ever used newspaper under bark mulch

i was reading about it on the internet, and would love to hear if anyone here does it/has done it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Never heard of it being done. What's the benefit?
    The thought of having to cover an area with newspaper seems like a punishment to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NurseBridie

I did it last year and it did kill the grass but then the birds started pecking at it and firing the bark out of the bed in the the grass. Also if you are going to do it use very very fine mulch as I used the big bits and when they dried during the summer the wind send them everywhere. Because it got exposed the paper underneath got blown everywhere also. So in summary only do it if you can guarantee that the mulch won't move from on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Used it to great success on a raised bed, two railway sleepers high set up on a grass lawn.
    Used old carpet ( not rubber backed)in the bottom of another raised bed

Advertisement