Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sell home or rent it out

Options
  • 11-05-2016 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking for some advice on whether to sell my house or rent it out. Background, I bought a small house when I was single close to city center. In the meantime I married and had two kids. We built an extension and have the house in great condition, however there is no back garden or children near us. At the moment I could not afford to move house, but should be able to in a couple of years. We are thinking we could sell or rent our own house and we could rent for a couple of years where we want to live.

So I am faced with a choice:

1) Stick where we are - quality of life would not be what we want. We could be in the house for another four years with kids just getting bigger.

2) Sell house - would make a good profit with no CGT. Invest money somewhere and rent for few years. Negative here is that it may not be the best time to sell as there is a site near us which is about may be about was sold to builders. Would probably make sense to sell after the building complete (year or two).

3) Rent house - Easily could rent house. Concerned that the house is in very good condition, would it be wrecked? Also when we go to sell it the CGT would be pro-rata between PPR time and rent (I could be wrong here). Would probably clear about 300k profit so that could be a pain. I would also be giving up a tracker mortgage which is worth something I think! Also I may not actually need the money in a few years, so I could rent this out long term.

I've never been a landlord so I'm not sure if it will be pain.

I would appreciate any input from persons with good financial brains (not me)

Thanks

Advertisement