Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

male dog humping male dog

• 11-05-2016 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭

How can I stop the male dog trying to hump our other male dog. He has become obsessed in doing it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Get the female dogs in the area to dress up as poodles and he may take more notice to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maybe it's his way of "coming out"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

cena wrote: »
    How can I stop the male dog trying to hump our other male dog. He has become obsessed in doing it.

Snip, snip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

He could be just asserting his dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,234 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

He could be just asserting his dominance.

or inserting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

My female dog used to do it to our male dog (she's the big boss) and she wasn't inserting nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Make him watch a Laramie ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

It's an act of dominance, not a strange thing to see when you have 2 male dogs. The "mounter" is basically telling the other that he is the boss.

Spray bottle with water will sort it out, just a short squeeze in to the face when they start doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Can of worms... officially opening!

It's nothing to do with dominance. Dogs don't try to dominate each other by humping. Generally speaking when it comes to dog behaviour, dogs don't try to dominate each other at all, it's a totally outdated belief.

Two of my male dogs hump each other from time to time, usually one is in a playful mood and the other is sleepy/chilled out, it's his way of saying "HEY! I wanna play, stop ignoring me!" it gets his attention and it works on getting him to play 90% of the time.

Is the dog doing the humping irritating your other dog or does he react to it at all, Cena?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

VonVix wrote:
    Two of my male dogs hump each other from time to time, usually one is in a playful mood and the other is sleepy/chilled out, it's his way of saying "HEY! I wanna play, stop ignoring me!" it gets his attention and it works on getting him to play 90% of the time.

Is that not a form of dominance though? He wants things his way. In your case there is obviously a balance between the two dogs were they can handle each other and switch roles from time to time but I've noticed some dogs can be consistently bossy with a weaker dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yes, one of your male dogs is trying to take over the pack. He'll come for you soon Cena, don't let him through the door in front of you or he'll think he's climbing up the pack order to Alpha! :rolleyes:

Some male dogs smell lovely and attractive to other dogs, male and female. It could be something to do with the hormonal odour he's excreting to excite your other boy. There's a neutered male who come to daycare that gets a LOT of the other dogs horny. There was a little female pug cross trying to hump his leg today, too small to annoy him but sometimes if it's a bigger dog he gets pissed off after a while.

I find that some unneutered males tend to revert to humping while playing as well. And sometimes my neutered male likes to hump the other neutered male. But never the female!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

macnug wrote: »
    Is that not a form of dominance though? He wants things his way. In your case there is obviously a balance between the two dogs were they can handle each other and switch roles from time to time but I've noticed some dogs can be consistently bossy with a weaker dog.

Dogs will do what they can get away with. It's nothing to do with trying to be dominant. Unfortunately "dominance" has been used as a one-size-fits-all excuse by cowboy trainers and tv personalities for bad or unwanted behaviour. Not only is it incorrect, it's also dangerous to excuse a behaviour such as resource guarding as "dominance" as resource guarding can lead to some serious aggressive behaviour if not treated properly with the correct methods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

macnug wrote: »

Nope. Just because a dog wants something or wants to do something, doesn't mean they are trying to dominate the other animal or person.

Say you're watching TV with your partner and you don't like the show they are watching, so you take the remote to change the channel without asking, is that you trying to dominate your partner? :p Or is that simply you being rude? ;)

There's no "switching roles", dogs don't have roles in the home, they have personalities, they have likes and dislikes, some dogs are rude, some dogs are very tolerant to rude behaviours, some dogs have no tolerance for rudeness at all.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Just an FYI guys, animals can be homosexual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I had to separate my two degus because one was gay. Problem was that the other wasn't!

My brother's dog used to try and hump my fella non stop and he'd get very distressed about it. The big fella was at the age were he was reaching maturity. I wouldn't leave them alone together if it's undesirable until you have managed to teach him its not acceptable. Just keep putting on timeouts until he learns, he will eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

VonVix wrote: »
    Can of worms... officially opening!

It's nothing to do with dominance. Dogs don't try to dominate each other by humping. Generally speaking when it comes to dog behaviour, dogs don't try to dominate each other at all, it's a totally outdated belief.

Is the dog doing the humping irritating your other dog or does he react to it at all, Cena?

he doesn't take notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

duploelabs wrote: »
    Make him watch a Laramie ad

Sure! What's your brand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

my rottie was soo gay
    and big funny and lovely
    but i loved telling people that the reason he acted gay was cos he was gay
    #Morty

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Humping between two male dogs is probably more likely to originate as an expression of anxiety as it happens.... so, the opposite of attempts of dominance really, which comes as no surprise given that dominance hierarchies in dogs are mythological. Some dogs may try to get one over on other dogs, but it's a battle for valued resources, rather than a bid to achieve world domination.
    However, even if the anxiety is removed, because humping is a highly self-rewarding behaviour, the dog quickly learns to do it for its own sake, because it feels good. It's not helped by the fact that your other dog is not putting up any form of resistance! Most dogs would have put a stop to the other fella's humping pretty smartish a long time ago!
    How to stop it? Please don't go squirting your dog with water... there's no need to resort to something that your dog could find really unpleasant. Instead, keep a light lead attached to the humper's collar (never leave it on unless you're there to supervise, for safety's sake), and calmly grab the lead with a firm but calm "uh-uh", and lead him away from the other dog before he gets started. Every time. I wouldn't even leave them home alone together because you don't want this happening whilst you're not there to intervene.
    With time, your verbal warning of "uh-uh" (or whatever is handy for you.. just use the same one consistently) should be enough to make the humper back off and leave the other dog alone.

It's also worth thinking about getting a medical cause ruled in or out (same goes for the dog you posted about BLM!), because dogs who find themselves being humped a lot often have a bacterial profusion in the anal glands... the bacteria give off a rather feminine scent (to other dogs) which makes them *think* they're humping an in-heat female.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

DBB wrote: »
    Humping between two male dogs is probably more likely to originate as an expression of anxiety as it happens.... so, the opposite of attempts of dominance really, which comes as no surprise given that dominance hierarchies in dogs are mythological. Some dogs may try to get one over on other dogs, but it's a battle for valued resources, rather than a bid to achieve world domination.
    However, even if the anxiety is removed, because humping is a highly self-rewarding behaviour, the dog quickly learns to do it for its own sake, because it feels good. It's not helped by the fact that your other dog is not putting up any form of resistance! Most dogs would have put a stop to the other fella's humping pretty smartish a long time ago!
    How to stop it? Please don't go squirting your dog with water... there's no need to resort to something that your dog could find really unpleasant. Instead, keep a light lead attached to the humper's collar (never leave it on unless you're there to supervise, for safety's sake), and calmly grab the lead with a firm but calm "uh-uh", and lead him away from the other dog before he gets started. Every time. I wouldn't even leave them home alone together because you don't want this happening whilst you're not there to intervene.
    With time, your verbal warning of "uh-uh" (or whatever is handy for you.. just use the same one consistently) should be enough to make the humper back off and leave the other dog alone.

It's also worth thinking about getting a medical cause ruled in or out (same goes for the dog you posted about BLM!), because dogs who find themselves being humped a lot often have a bacterial profusion in the anal glands... the bacteria give off a rather feminine scent (to other dogs) which makes them *think* they're humping an in-heat female.

Presume this applies to female dogs too? My friend has a big dopey lab cross (female) who is obsessed with my little terrier (female also). As soon as we enter the house, she will not leave my little dog alone and it usually ends with my dog attempting to hump the lab. I always assumed this was due to her feeling overwhelmed with this massive oaf bounding towards her every 20 seconds. So its probably anxiety too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You'd have to think so ashbx, they'll repeat what works for them, even if it works a small bit better than not doing it :o
    Behaviours like humping are seriously self-reinforcing, as is barking, grooming/licking, scratching, digging, toileting... All bring a sense of relief which is what reinforces the behaviour, and makes them potentially hard habits to break!

Advertisement