Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB Hub??

Options
  • 11-05-2016 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I recently bought a tablet which replaced my old laptop. However, the tablet only has one USB port and I need at least 2 in order to run my mouse and printer at the same time. Is there a device that I can plug into the USB port that would allow me to plug, in turn, 2 more devices into it?

Or are USB ports only capable of operating one device at a time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I recently bought a tablet which replaced my old laptop. However, the tablet only has one USB port and I need at least 2 in order to run my mouse and printer at the same time. Is there a device that I can plug into the USB port that would allow me to plug, in turn, 2 more devices into it?

You can get powered and non-powered USB hubs. Obviously the powered have a better chance on runing multiple devices but since the printer will have its own power you should be ok. As an aside, are you sure the printer will be recognized by the tablet?

41aYOdvbOQL._SY300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

nope you can chain them in a hub.

you can pick up a 4port usb hub in most pound shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Might help if we knew that tablet you had?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭daithiocondun

mordeith wrote: »
    You can get powered and non-powered USB hubs. Obviously the powered have a better chance on runing multiple devices but since the printer will have its own power you should be ok. As an aside, are you sure the printer will be recognized by the tablet?

41aYOdvbOQL._SY300_.jpg

Yes, the printer already works on the usb port, but i have to switch over and back all the time between that and the printer when im writing. painful. Would an unpowered hub be ok? How many devices can run from the same port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭daithiocondun

davo2001 wrote: »
    Might help if we knew that tablet you had?

It's some sort of HP. I'm not at home right not to say in more detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Yes, the printer already works on the usb port, but i have to switch over and back all the time between that and the printer when im writing. painful. Would an unpowered hub be ok? How many devices can run from the same port?

Depends on the devices. A mouse and a keyboard wouldn't draw much power but external drives would take more juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

USB is limited to 127 devices per controller, but bear in mind all devices will share same power per on-board port and same bandwidth, so USB2@480Mbit/s devided by n were n is number of devices.
    USB ports on MB could be already ported to same controller(most likely tablet/laptop scenario 2USB's per controller)to reduce cost, etc.

Advertisement