Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling While Pregnant

Options
  • 11-05-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie to posting on Boards. I've been reading this forum for ages but never posted on it and I'm hoping for some advise please.

I've been cycling a round trip of 30KM for the past 3 years and it's the only form of exercise that I actually enjoy. I cycle regardless of the weather, so all year round, and I don't think I could ever drive into work again as I just find it too depressing.

It takes me approx 40 minutes on a average day to get into work through Dublin City Centre (15KM) and on a good day 35 minutes. But if needs be I could take it easier and maybe stretch it out to 50 minutes.

I have a 4 year old son and just found out today that I'm pregnant with our second (6 weeks - YAY!!).

I really don't want to stop cycling and would be absolutely heart broken if I had to stop. i know eventually I'll get too big and I'll have to stop but I would like to cycle upto about 7 months. I absolutely hate the thought of people staring at me judging me - most motorists dislike cyclists anyway, but I think if they seen a pregnant cyclist they would think I was being irresponsible - am I being irresponsible??

Has anyone any advise that they can tell me about this. I've done a lot of reading about this and its not advisable to cycle while pregnant. Some of the articles really scared me but I thought that I would be fine since I have been doing this for so long now... but now I don't know. Can anyone please help?

Sorry, I know I never post here, but really would appreciate some advise.

Thanks a million
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Not a woman but from a health point of view seems a bit risky to me. If you have a little tumble which would normally be fine it could be trouble. Note, I know absolutely nothing about pregnancy etc so advice is probably useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fuzzycycle

Thanks very much for your reply.

I've come off bike twice in the past 3 years. Once was knocked over by 2 pedestrians dodging through traffic and another time car door opened knocking me off. Car door one was pretty serious. i would consider myself extremely cautious and extremely aware of my surroundings - but these things can still happen. Husband is motorcyclist so have been brainwashed on road craft over the years, but I know these things can happen.

I understand what you're saying. Thanks for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Firstly congratulations, secondly IMHO, its the same as any activity while pregnant there is a risk associated to the baby if you take a tumble. I would hate to read on here that a you experienced any trauma that caused an issue for you or the baby, while I too hate getting the train and prefer to cycle, for common sense reasons if it were my wife I would ask her to consider not cycling to work while pregnant.

Please dont think of me as a MCP!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Congrats on the good news! You might be interested in Suzie Mitchells (Irish Track Cyclist) book http://www.pregnancytopodium.com/ She wrote about her experiences of cycling/training while pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I was just passed this morning (in my car) by a female cyclist wearing a high vis vest that had 'Pregnant Lady' printed on the back of it. So you wouldn't be the only one doing it.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for all your feedback and taking the time to post your advise. I can totally get why people say I shouldn't do it - its a huge part of my life so it's really hard for me. I am getting depressed even thinking about it. I'll buy that book silvo, thanks so much. Also I've never seen one of those high vis vests joey100, so thanks for passing that onto me.

Thanks also to everyone else for posting. Lots to think about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

With our first son, my wife cycled daily until the 8th month and felt great. No complications, normal delivery, kid is fine and dandy :)

With the second one, she could not cycle past 3rd month, felt too weak and uncomfortable. Kid is also doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

silvo wrote: »
    Congrats on the good news! You might be interested in Suzie Mitchells (Irish Track Cyclist) book http://www.pregnancytopodium.com/ She wrote about her experiences of cycling/training while pregnant.

I was going to suggest Suzie's book too!

Thanks Alek - first pregnancy I wasn't cycling at the time but had normal healthy pregnancy and didnt suffer with anything thank god. Had pently of energy. Am a bit older now but hoping because I now exercise daily that I'm in better shape, but I suppose I won't know until then next few months...

I'd say go for it. People have a funny idea that cycling is somehow more dangerous while at the same time not giving a second thought to driving the same journey.

As an aside, a cycling hostel I stayed in the alps in last year had a family of four including a heavily pregnant mother tackling long alpine climbs. And she was a doctor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

alternativley you coud do what one of my sisters in law did, set up a tv in front an excercise bike (or get a turbo trainer), she cycled watching soaps/exfactor/the apprentice that she had sky plussed when the kids had gone to bed. btw, she wasnt pregnant just a busy working mother with little or no time to get in an hour or 2 on the bike!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You definitely won't be the only one. I know plenty of women who've kept cycling right through pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

My other half skied while she was pregnant - our guide nearly had a heart attack! But she was careful and took it handy and our 13 year old son is a real natural on the snow now!! Go with what feels right to you .... you will probably be the best judge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I cycled while pregnant up to 38 weeks without any problems, my daughter was fine and my hospital encouraged me to keep exercising. I cycled on a hybrid and it was far more uncomfortable walking (waddling) while heavily pregnant. Unless your medical team tell you not to there is no particular reason to stop cycling. My commute was 10km each way in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

I am a runner & as much as I wanted to keep going at about 16 weeks I just got too uncomfortable & had to stop & walk instead. Am 7 months now - wouldn't be considered 'massive' but anything more than a brisk walk & am puffed & couldn't imagine getting on a bike from about 20 weeks my balance would be all over the place. I am all for exercise during pregnancy but I'd be wary of the risk of falling / getting knocked off when doing those distances every day in busy traffic not so much in early days but certainly from 14/16 weeks. I get it you don't want to be on public transport though - is there any way you can maybe walk part of the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A Neighbour used to cycle until she was more than 7 months on Dublin bikes
    and another woman my wife knows cycled even later , she moved to Denmark since, where I'd imagine it'd be perfectly normal to cycle while pregnant. There'd probably be secure bike parking at maternity hospitals in Copenhagen...

Ask your doctor what the risks are, there's an awful lot of scaremongering on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

I cycled while pregnant up to 38 weeks without any problems, my daughter was fine and my hospital encouraged me to keep exercising. I cycled on a hybrid and it was far more uncomfortable walking (waddling) while heavily pregnant. Unless your medical team tell you not to there is no particular reason to stop cycling. My commute was 10km each way in Dublin city centre.

That's fantastic!!!!! never mind my advice above go with how you feel yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I know several women who cycled through pregnancy (one cycled 200km a week until 7 months) and if it was me I would do the same. Do what is right for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Be careful. My wife was advised not to cycle while pregnant by the doctor and hasn't touched the bike since.

Aww.... thanks a mill everyone for your feedback - I really do appreciate it. There isn't a chance I could walk part way to work. Only option I have is drive or cycle. I go from northside to southside. It would just be too long to walk. Only other option is the car and I just don't think I can face it...

NamelessPhil - that just sounds fantastic. My commute is 15KM each way through city centre. I think I'm more afraid of motorists looking at me thinking I'm putting my child a risk and being nasty to me.

Everyone I know has their own opinion on how they feel about this and I know in the end I'll do what I feel is right for my body, just the thoughts of getting out of shape is killing me. And then trying to start back again after baby is born will be so hard. I really do have to have a long think about this.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

fuzzycycle wrote: »
    Aww.... thanks a mill everyone for your feedback - I really do appreciate it. There isn't a chance I could walk part way to work. Only option I have is drive or cycle. I go from northside to southside. It would just be too long to walk. Only other option is the car and I just don't think I can face it...

NamelessPhil - that just sounds fantastic. My commute is 15KM each way through city centre. I think I'm more afraid of motorists looking at me thinking I'm putting my child a risk and being nasty to me.

Everyone I know has their own opinion on how they feel about this and I know in the end I'll do what I feel is right for my body, just the thoughts of getting out of shape is killing me. And then trying to start back again after baby is born will be so hard. I really do have to have a long think about this.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Welcome to parenting. No matter what you do, someone is gonna judge you.

Suzie's book is essential reading in this situation tbh.

Thanks Harrybelafonte - I already have a 4 year old so I do get that & know what people can be like about parenting. I will definitely get that book, thanks. I was just hoping to get from cyclists their opinion on whether they think it's unsafe to do so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Susie's book is great on this very topic! She won a world masters track cycling gold 6 weeks after giving birth and was squatting 80 kilos 8 months pregnant! Pregnancy also had the same effect as training at altitude on your body, so you'll be getting fitter even going slower :D
    You have no more chance of coming off/danger pregnant or not pregnant, and there's a really old fashioned, conservative view of pregnancy as a debilitating illness still. That said every woman is different and what works for one won't work for all! Susie's book is great for all that info, she really researched every detail of cycling pregnant.

You know yourself what feels right for you, the happier and healthier you are the better, and whatever helps that is what you have to go with!

There was that American runner lady who ran at the national champions 7 months pregnant, can't remember her name, 800m runner I think. Inspirational stuff!

Anyone judging you for cycling whilst pregnant days more about them than it does about you. Good luck!

Thanks Gadetra, that cheered me up!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

fuzzycycle wrote: »
    Thanks Gadetra, that cheered me up!!! :)

The only risk I can think of is falling/accident, and I can't tell you if that risk is higher/lower than for walking/jogging etc.

Cycling, especially if you know your road craft, is very safe.

My own sister ran the Ballycotton 10 pregnant and was very active until pretty late in pregnancy.

Girl in my local gym would put most people to shame with what she was lifting during her pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

not completely up on the rules of boards but is pregnancy a medical condition and should advise surrounding it be offered ? this seems the type of question that the poster should go and speak to her health adviser on.

even if it's not this seems a question surrounding risk - seems a really dubious area to be offering any opinion on. I'm sure the poster has reservations or she wouldn't be asking here.

Sorry Taxuser1, maybe I shouldn't have posted here. Wouldn't have considered it a medical condition, but I could be wrong? Maybe I'll wait for mods to confirm? Apologies if I've posted something I shoudn't have (am new to this).

Thanks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

OP is pregnant, not sick or injured. I don't see any problem with the thread at present.

Thanks Ford2600 also for your advise - they sound like amazing women!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Are you rhesus negative? If you are I would advise against cycling as any knock at all requires a shot or you can have difficulties with later pregnancies. I tripped in my kitchen, didn't bang the bump at all and the hospital had me in overnight and a shot even so to avoid any problems

Advertisement