Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slowing down at 40

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well there a lots of people doing triathlons now and long distance running in a ketogenic state. Kyle Kingsbury was another guest on the JRE, former professional fighter now doing various marathons etc with a 90% fat diet. I believe the heart rate would get up very high for that type of exercise and while it might not be explosive its definitely intensive.

I play football at a pretty decent level, last week I played a 4pm game having not eaten since the night before, was not hungry or low on energy. Before I would have always been having a big breakfast and then eating banana's etc pre game. Simply don't feel the need for it now. Surely I would be low on energy if I needed carbs to perform?
    I rarely do heavy weights anymore, once a month I'll do a heavy bench of 70-80kilos which is my max, and haven't found any difficulty doing that either in terms of comparing it to previous times

A marathon isn't intensive when it comes to % of VO2max. Maybe if you're an elite athlete looking at sub 2.20 times.

Benching a 1RM isn't intensive either in the context of VO2max.

Football, it depends on the level and where you play.

If you have enough carbohydrate in your body to fuel your activity, then that's fine. Some activities don't need much if any carbohydrate. Some do.

When the exercise gets to a point above 65-75% VO2 max carbohydrate becomes the predominant and then exclusive fuel because it can produce ATP anaerobically.

Well there a lots of people doing triathlons now and long distance running in a ketogenic state. Kyle Kingsbury was another guest on the JRE, former professional fighter now doing various marathons etc with a 90% fat diet. I believe the heart rate would get up very high for that type of exercise and while it might not be explosive its definitely intensive.

I play football at a pretty decent level, last week I played a 4pm game having not eaten since the night before, was not hungry or low on energy. Before I would have always been having a big breakfast and then eating banana's etc pre game. Simply don't feel the need for it now. Surely I would be low on energy if I needed carbs to perform?
    I rarely do heavy weights anymore, once a month I'll do a heavy bench of 70-80kilos which is my max, and haven't found any difficulty doing that either in terms of comparing it to previous times

A marathon isn't intensive when it comes to % of VO2max. Maybe if you're an elite athlete looking at sub 2.20 times.

Benching a 1RM isn't intensive either in the context of VO2max.

Football, it depends on the level and where you play.

If you have enough carbohydrate in your body to fuel your activity, then that's fine. Some activities don't need much if any carbohydrate. Some do.

When the exercise gets to a point above 65-75% VO2 max carbohydrate becomes the predominant and then exclusive fuel because it can produce ATP anaerobically.
    What kind of things will get you to this kind of 65-75% VO2 max state?

The argument you make here is interesting, I'd like to put it to the ketogenic people and see what they have to say about it.
    I don't think that state would apply to the OP though in terms of weight loss and his exercise regime. Him talking now about upping his calorie intake to me is a bizarre solution that can only backfire. More sugar is probably what he will have which will have the opposite effect on what he wants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Him talking now about upping his calorie intake to me is a bizarre solution that can only backfire. More sugar is probably what he will have which will have the opposite effect on what he wants.

It's not really a bizarre solution. At 1500cals he is IMO under-eating (if he truly is eating 1500), and even if so, it's simply not sustainable. No-one is suggesting taking him over maintenance, just a more moderate sustainable deficit, which will in turn produce better training quality.

It doesn't necessarily mean more sugar either, if I was to set it up I'd increase protein in particular closer to recommended levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What kind of things will get you to this kind of 65-75% VO2 max state?

The argument you make here is interesting, I'd like to put it to the ketogenic people and see what they have to say about it.
    I don't think that state would apply to the OP though in terms of weight loss and his exercise regime. Him talking now about upping his calorie intake to me is a bizarre solution that can only backfire. More sugar is probably what he will have which will have the opposite effect on what he wants.

Upping calories if you're at a low level of intake can elicit a beneficial hormonal response.

It depends on the intensity and duration of intensity.

I don't have an issue with low-carb diets when undertaken for the right reason. The belief that carbs are inherently bad for you isn't necessarily a good reason because there's a fear of carbs as if they alone are responsible for weight gain. They're not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

It will be mostly extra protein I will be eating to up my calories...an extra couple of chicken breasts maybe with some veg/ avocados or the likes ...

Can I ask people's opinions on the concept of over training....currently I do

Monday morning = spinning....then a set of weights Monday evening..
    Tuesday morning = core work with legs... Trx Tuesday evening
    Wednesday = HIIT ... Wednesday evening a light run
    Thursday morning spinning...evening set of weights
    Friday ... Kettlebells (20kg bell) evening 5 a side
    Saturday 5k run ( treadmill )
    Sunday full rest day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

So you're effectively doing 11X weekly training sessions while eating 1500 cals per day, I'm now not sure if you're just trolling?

cmyk wrote: »
    So you're effectively doing 11X weekly training sessions while eating 1500 cals per day, I'm now not sure if you're just trolling?
    Why would I be trolling? Just looking for advice..the training sessions are short and are a good mix between weights and cardio...I enjoy what I do and the classes are only 30-45 minutes long so it's not like I am spending hours everyday in the gym..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

qb123 wrote: »
    At 5'7" and 13 Stone, it's very difficult to believe you've been eating only 1500 cals a day plus a good bit of exercise. Are you sure all the weight isn't in muscle? This could explain a bit - might be worth having a calipers fat calculation done to see how lean or otherwise you are. This could then help determine best way forward for you.

lol yeah, like he's going to turn around and be all "Oh my, I've been confused all this time, it turns out I am actually completely fucking ripped and just thought I was fat for no reason".

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    lol yeah, like he's going to turn around and be all "Oh my, I've been confused all this time, it turns out I am actually completely fucking ripped and just thought I was fat for no reason".
    😄 Definitely not ripped and definitely to much fat for my liking....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

harr wrote: »
    Can I ask people's opinions on the concept of over training....currently I do

Monday morning = spinning....then a set of weights Monday evening..
    Tuesday morning = core work with legs... Trx Tuesday evening
    Wednesday = HIIT ... Wednesday evening a light run
    Thursday morning spinning...evening set of weights
    Friday ... Kettlebells (20kg bell) evening 5 a side
    Saturday 5k run ( treadmill )
    Sunday full rest day....

A word that gets overlooked sometimes is intensity. I only lift twice a week due to 10 hours other training. But my sessions are short and fūcking hard. I'm always done under an hour. 8 moves. 3-5 sets of 4-8, not a lot of rest.

Similarly with my conditioning I go fairly hard at least 60% of the time and brutally hard 10%. Sometimes more depending.

Like a 5 a side could be anything. It's hard to judge how intense a kick about with your mates is. But prob not very.

Also personally I find double sessions counter productive if I'm working. I get value from them on weekends or hols when I can recover and not be up at stupid o'clock. Otherwise I didn't get the rest I needed to get the quality required to warrant the investment of time.

Better one really good session with quality work and 24 hours rest. Especially at 40.

Advertisement