Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Blue Screen and I don't know why!

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

That bluescreen viewer thing is great! It's showing the same driver causing the error on all my minidump files, and it's the ntoskrnl.exe after googling it a lot of the results I got seem to point to bad RAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Are there any items just above / below the NTOSKRNL highlighted?
    It isn't a driver itself, it's the core part of the windows operating system to which drivers talk. So it'll see garbage coming from the problem driver and shut down to protect other parts of the system

e.g.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/bluescreenview.gif

Or can you use the printscreen button on the keyboard to take a snapshot of the nirsoft screen and post it here?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No, it's the only thing highlighted in red.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hi Toots,
    Any updates?

Hi Toots,
    Any updates?

Sorry for not posting any updates :o I went on holidays and it turned out we didn't have internet access where I was staying.

We managed to get ahold of some DDR3 ram, so we stuck that in, and I haven't had any blue screens in the last 24 hours (since we put the ram in) BUT the monitor (TV) isn't always detecting the PC. The computer is on, and running, but nothing is showing up on the monitor at all, it's just saying 'no signal' so it looks like the PC isn't giving any output at all. It's connected by a HDMI cable, so we've tried a different cable, and a different port on the TV but nothing helped.

• Advertisement

Hi
    Can you confirm your GPU recognized in <Device Manager>( screenshot if possible)
    Check if TV input correct( on TV setup/menu source settings -> HDMI1, HDMI2, etc. )
    Try use DVI or VGA cable if supported by TV/GPU ( select input source on TV accordingly )
    Could you check on different monitor
    ...BUT the monitor (TV) isn't always detecting the PC....
    could you clarify above statement. Did it worked at any point after replacing RAM?

Hi
    Can you confirm your GPU recognized in <Device Manager>( screenshot if possible)
    Check if TV input correct( on TV setup/menu source settings -> HDMI1, HDMI2, etc. )
    Try use DVI or VGA cable if supported by TV/GPU ( select input source on TV accordingly )
    Could you check on different monitor

GPU is recognised, here's a pic of the screen:

rz4FC4g.jpg?1

The input is correct, we tried it in HDMI1, 2 and 3 and same result. At the minute we don't have a different monitor and we tried a VGA cable on the GPU (no VGA port on motherboard) but it was still the same.
    could you clarify above statement. Did it worked at any point after replacing RAM?
    It did, but it's weird, it's like every second time we boot up the PC it's not giving any output to the TV. First time we booted it up, it was grand except that the taskbar at the bottom of the desktop screen was solid, and it's usually transparent. So I tried to reboot and we got 'no signal', then we rebooted again, and it did display, but again the taskbar wasn't displaying properly.

Is it possible that when we stuck the GPU into my bro in law's computer and it worked fine that it was just a fluke, and that there is an issue with the GPU?

What connection you used that time(HDMI, DVI, VGA), was that proper monitor or TV?
    Could you get your bros GPU tested on your PC again and yours in his PC( run load ).
    Mean time try reduce resolution and see if it makes change.
    Also check if taskbar settings are what you expect them to be.
    Did you try to run load on GPU ( game )?
    Uninstall GPU over <Device Manager> , then <scan for hardware changes> to see if it is recognized properly.
    Consider to run some GPU testing tool( google it )

Try one thing at the time and check outcome.

We used the TV with a HDMI connection and then also tried it with a VGA on the TV - we don't have a spare monitor.
    As luck would have it the bro in law left for his holidays this morning, so we can't get at his computer to test my GPU.
    Games are doing something really odd now - not sure if it's the same thing that's causing the issues with the task bar, but when I load up say Fallout or Skyrim, they'll load up but the game speeds up to a massive degree, to the point that it's unplayable Like if I'm trying to run, it's so fast it's uncontrollable. Couldn't play the games for long enough to really put the GPU under a load.
    We stuck on Netflix there a few hours ago and after it was running fine for about 90 mins to 2 hrs, but then all of a sudden we got a BROWN screen!! (No text or anything, just a solid brown screen) we could still hear the sound etc perfectly, so as far as we could tell Netflix was still running fine, but the problem was with the display.

We uninstalled the GPU with device manager, but then it didn't detect it again until we re-seated it. Then we had to re-download the graphics card drivers, however the problem is still there. The PC will boot up to the desktop after being powered off completely (taskbar is still not displaying properly) but if we try to re-boot, that's when we get the output problems.

Changing resolution didn't seem to make any difference. Just looking for GPU testing tool now.

• Advertisement

Left Netflix playing there for about another hour, and this time got a white screen. Same as before, the sound was playing fine, just the screen was completely white. Haven't had time to find a GPU tester, so will do that while my little boy is in school in the morning, I'll have a bit of time then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

Uninstall GPU over <Device Manager> , then <scan for hardware changes> to see if it is recognized properly.
    Consider to run some GPU testing tool( google it )

I'd make sure that the card is seated correctly and properly fixed to the chassis of the PC.

Got my husband to check it this morning and it's definitely seated correctly and attached fully. How long does a GPU last? I've only had it since November 2014, didn't think bits would be dying already.

Hubby took the old ram into work today and is going to stick it in a motherboard there to see if it causes problems.

Well it's fixed! Finally!

My husband exchanged GPUs with a colleague for a night - he took the colleague's one and the colleague took mine home to see what happened. My PC functioned perfectly with the borrowed GPU but the colleague experienced a lot of the problems I had (taskbar not displaying properly, games unplayable, display problems when watching Netflix etc)

So we ordered a new GPU on Amazon and it came in on Friday. Just out of interest, we tried running the PC with the new GPU and the old ram, but we got another blue screen, so it appeared that both the RAM and the GPU died.

In an unrelated (or so we thought) event, the base for our landline died a couple of days before the trouble started with the PC. The PC and the phone were plugged into the same socket. My husband took it out of the wall just to see was there anything obviously wrong with it, and when we opened it up, the whole inside was all scorched. He reckons it must have been shorting or arcing inside the socket and that might have damaged the PC and phone.

I suppose the one good thing to come out of all this is I now have 16gb of RAM instead of 8gb, and when we got the new GPU we upgraded to the Geforce 950.

Thank you so much for all the help!!!

Toots wrote: »
    Well it's fixed! Finally!

I suppose the one good thing to come out of all this is I now have 16gb of RAM instead of 8gb, and when we got the new GPU we upgraded to the Geforce 950.

Thank you so much for all the help!!!
    Glad that you got sorted.
    :D
    Old saying states: All is well what ends well

Advertisement